Counting Total Carbs vs Net Carbs?

Options
lulabellewoowoo
lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
For all you Low carbers out there, do you count total carbs or net carbs (total carbs minus fiber)? My goal is 100 carbs per day and I've done it both way, more net carbs as summer is here and I am addicted to fresh fruit. But I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing and what is working for them. Thanks.

Replies

• BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    Options
    I count total carbs and keep it at 20 total per day and eat about 1600 calories mostly from fat.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I count total carbs and keep it at 20 total per day and eat about 1600 calories mostly from fat.

HOW!?! can you eat just 20 total carbs per day. That is amazing. Lots of meat, cheese, eggs, etc? Do you think it is a dietary change you can maintain after you have reached your goal, or will you add a little bit more carbs back as you go. And to think, I'm proud if I only do 100 carbs. Wow.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs. Just curious becasuse I am new to all of this. Do you eat anything you want as long as you count your carbs? I guess my question is do you eat starches. Patotoes in moderation. lol
  • Shanon78
    Shanon78 Posts: 18
    Options
    I usually have about 20 carbs or less a day. I subtract the dietary fiber from the carb count. I eat a lot of meat, eggs, and cheeses. I also add in fresh and canned veggies. A lot lettuce with a little Ranch.
  • tkdriver
    tkdriver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs, but do not subtract sugar alcohols only fiber. I am in OWL of Atkins and have between 30-40 net carbs per day.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Average around 20-30 net and 50-60 total. This is maintience for me 1400 cals.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i subtract fibre, and stay around 20 grams a day on mostly veg and some nuts and dairy.
    for me, as long as i'm in ketosis i'm doing well. i can't do lowcarb without ketosis.

i don't eat potatoes or anything starchy. if i'm cooking something i cna't have... i'll 'taste' things but usually spit it out if i can.
  • spazgirl123
    Options
    I am trying to stay below 35 carbs per day. So for me to count me net carbs, I just subtract my total fiber intake for the day from my total carb intake?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yup. fibre doesn't affect your blood sugar