Replacing exercises?

Options
donnam40
donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
Hi,

I have just started NROL4W and have quite a bit of trouble with my knees. I did the leg exercises prescribed yesterday but I am not sure how I will go lifting the weights.

Has anyone else replaced any of the exercises due to their own body limitations? I was thinking of doing leg extensions, curls and presses which I think my knees will cope with better.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Donna

Replies

• azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Donna, I have range-of-motion issues with my ankles that prevent me from doing squats (or anything else where my ankle needs to be at much less than 90 degrees). I've replaced squats with the leg press. No, it's not the same as free weights, in that it isolates muscles more, but you do what you can with what you've got! I don't know if it makes any difference, but I try to use the plate-loaded machines rather than the ones where you put the pin in the weight.

My left knee isn't particularly fond of lunges, but I'm wondering if that's more because the muscles involved in that exercise are so weak at this point. But man, I get a much better burn just doing those with my body weight than I do with the leg extension/curls!
  • azalais7
    Options
    Oh, and one other thing--part of the NROL4W philosophy is that we need to challenge our muscles continually by varying our exercises, so try to do the same if you're using machines. For example, at my gym there are at least three different leg press machines: one that has you sitting and pressing horizontally, one that has you "sitting" almost parallel to the floor and pushing the plate up, and one that has you standing with the weight on your shoulders and pushing up.

You can also try pressing with just one leg (but remember to adjust the weight!).
  • chiselle
    chiselle Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi,

Starting at stage 1 I'm taking it slowly with squats and lunges as my balance is not so good and my ankles are weak and I'm committed to remaining injury-free.

I like Kathy Smith's version of squats with dumbbells placed on the shoulders (arms crossed at forearm across chest) as it helps me keep my back straight.

Also I get to the gym once a week only where I get to do a greater variety of exercises, lat pull down, step up and swiss ball and hence I'm obliged to mix 'n match between the A and B work outs. I'll just have to see how it goes.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Just read this the other day on a lifting site. They were discussing leg extensions and leg curls specifically..."research shows these are dangerous exercises, putting undue strain on the ligaments and tendons surrounding the kneecaps...do squats instead."

In general, free weights are far superior to most machines. Many machines limit your range of motion and/or force your body to perform unnatural movements. Be careful.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I have to replace the ball crunches with hanging leg lifts. I cant do a crunch without feeling the urge to vomit, so...
    I know it is a different exercise all together, but it is what I can do with what I have for the time being. I add reps to my lifts, and will start to add weights to my ankles for resistance.
  • donnam40
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I am doing the prescribed exercises but being cautious with the weight. I know the premise is to lift heavy but with my legs I'll work up to it a bit slower than with the upper body. Bummer though because the legs could do with some muscle deveopment....
  • azalais7
    Options
    Bummer though because the legs could do with some muscle deveopment....

That may be precisely why your knees are bothering you. Take it slow--you'll get there!
  • donnam40
    Options
    No my knees are not because of the muscle problem. Up until 3 months ago I had great legs! I have rheumatoid arthritis and both the disease and the treatment are causing the muscle to waste. This is why I am doing this program and upping my protein to try and fight off the side effects.
  • azalais7
    Options
    No my knees are not because of the muscle problem. Up until 3 months ago I had great legs! I have rheumatoid arthritis and both the disease and the treatment are causing the muscle to waste. This is why I am doing this program and upping my protein to try and fight off the side effects.

Ah--if that's the case, and you are seeing a physical therapist (or are able to see one), you might run the exercises past that person.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this thread, but having just started stage 3, if you're having trouble with classic squats & lunges, they're going to haunt you through at least stage 5. Stages 2 & 4 have lots of lunges, and in Stages 3 & 5, there are a lot of squat variations (at least in workout A, I haven't done B yet). Never mind that the body weight matrix in stages 3 (and 5?) is ALL squats & lunges.

So I think if you need to start slow/light, and work your way up, it'll be worth it, and it'll pay off when you get to later stages.