Who follows 40/30/30 for macros?

Options
13»

Replies

• NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First, just a warning, the costco whey protein is advertised as 32 grams per serving with 100 servings in each bag. It actually takes two scoops to get 32 grams of protein and in order to figure that out you have to read the fine print buried on the nutrition label. Still an ok price per gram of protein but not near the "deal " I was expecting.

I always mix my powder with milk, gives me an extra 8 grams of protein, makes it taste a lot better, and If I don't I wont drink any milk àt all. I use vanilla flavored and add stevia liquid hazelnut flavor. Tastes pretty good that way. Use that flavor for the Greek yogurt too. :)

I get my Whey Protein (made by Six Star Nutrition) from Walmart...It's delicious and I think the big tub costs about $25 (in Canada) one scoop = 26g pure whey protien...So far, I'm just having one a day, but if I know I'm getting low I'll make it a two scooper! I also use milk and usually add fresh berries. Don't be scared, you feel soooo good after you down one of those after a workout!! Also, think of it like this - the tub has 22 single servings of 26g of protien - just over a buck a glass! Cheaper than at least ONE daily habit I can think of that I could do without and replace with something that will make me feel THAT good!

Good luck :-)
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I finally started seeing results from my exercise after upping my protein to the 40,30,30 ratio. I do drink a shake daily but wwill get more crative as I get sick of them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Apologies if I am duplicating here but you protein target should be based on body mass not percentages. At a minimum a sedentary person should get 0.5g per lb of body weight and someone who exercises 0.65g (0.8g if endurance exercise)

The actual percentages are 0.8g and 1g respectively, per lb of LBM but if you do not know that the percentages above are a good approximation but should be a bit higher the leaner you are.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

In regards to the cholesterol just eat the egg whites, cuts all that cholesterol right out and only costs you around 1G of protein per egg.

The cholesterol in the yolks is 'good' cholesterol. The only reason to avoid yolks is the fact they are calorie dense and may not fit into your calorie targets. The yolk has a bunch of good stuff in it and is the tastiest part.
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Apologies if I am duplicating here but you protein target should be based on body mass not percentages. At a minimum a sedentary person should get 0.5g per lb of body weight and someone who exercises 0.65g (0.8g if endurance exercise)

The actual percentages are 0.8g and 1g respectively, per lb of LBM but if you do not know that the percentages above are a good approximation but should be a bit higher the leaner you are.

So, I weigh 191 right now, and have been exercising for several months at a low to medium level, walking, wii free step, gazelle without resistance, for about an hour a day. I am just trying to step my activity level up a notch, simply because this level is not hard anymore. I am adding a resistance band, plus using ae active 2 (workouts are harder, more jumping, squats, running in place, and uses the resistance band / tube). Are you saying that I should be somewhere between about 100 grams and maybe 120 grams each day?

I agree about the egg, especially when it's organic like mine are!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

So, I weigh 191 right now, and have been exercising for several months at a low to medium level, walking, wii free step, gazelle without resistance, for about an hour a day. I am just trying to step my activity level up a notch, simply because this level is not hard anymore. I am adding a resistance band, plus using ae active 2 (workouts are harder, more jumping, squats, running in place, and uses the resistance band / tube). Are you saying that I should be somewhere between about 100 grams and maybe 120 grams each day?

I agree about the egg, especially when it's organic like mine are!

That sounds spot on to me. I am not sure what you are getting at the moment, so it may take you a while to get there so do not worry too much if you are short by a little, but the nearer the better. My favorite 'go to' is greek yoghurt to help get my protein up.
  • Joanne_8595
    Joanne_8595 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "That sounds spot on to me. I am not sure what you are getting at the moment, so it may take you a while to get there so do not worry too much if you are short by a little, but the nearer the better. My favorite 'go to' is greek yoghurt to help get my protein up." (Quoted, just not sure why the quote box isn't here)
    [/quote]

I am actually getting pretty close, somewhere between 100 and 130 grams a day. That is with the protein powder, and adding some of the things suggested here. I now eat an extra egg in the morning, plus an extra half slice of bacon (other meats I eat more too). I increased my meat portions, although that is still really hard for me. I like greek yogurt, but I think it might not like me, just like cream cheese which I love too. My protein levels are up from about 50 grams, so I think I am making good progress!