Coconut oil calories

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
So I am cutting back on my exercising now. I was totally wearing myself out and wanted to relax a little. My problem now is that with taking the coconut oil, I am left with very little calories for my food...

Anyone out there taking coconut oil and working out moderately having a problem with the oil taking all your calories?

Replies

• Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i take about a tbsp daily, but heard its good to work up to about 4 which equals about 480 cals, I love this oil and its so good for you so if you go over with it maybe its not so bad??? It keeps me regular and nothing was able to do that , I have Hashimotos BTW . I rub it all over my body thinly of course use it in my hair too. If its really helping you keep taking it .
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, I read that you take 1 TBS for every 50 lbs of body wt.

I was taking more, but now keep it to 2 TBS most days. On the days I want to go low cal. I do drop the CO a bit. But the wt. is not moving for me much right now, so maybe I'm not the one to ask... most of the web-sites say not to worry about the calories in the oil... might be more effective to just cut your carbs when you burn less. Hope that helps.
  • embclark
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, I read that you take 1 TBS for every 50 lbs of body wt.

I was taking more, but now keep it to 2 TBS most days. On the days I want to go low cal. I do drop the CO a bit. But the wt. is not moving for me much right now, so maybe I'm not the one to ask... most of the web-sites say not to worry about the calories in the oil... might be more effective to just cut your carbs when you burn less. Hope that helps.

I also take 2 tablespoons a day, debated bringing it up to 3, but I take it straight and it is hard enough to do the 2 tablespoons! :-) I don't plan to stop because I have lost weight for the past 3 weeks and before that hadn't lost in 5 weeks...

I might just up myself to maintenance which would add a few hundred calories a day and then it would cancel out the coconut oil if I up myself to 3 tablespoons. I dunno!

I can't go much lower with my carbs, I am gluten free and have very little that I can find that I like...
  • risec10
    risec10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried something different this last week with coconut oil. When I first started going gluten free and mostly paleo I lost 18lbs but then my weight loss plateaued for about a month. I was doing everything right (working out, eating clean) and nothing was working. I was sticking to about 1500 cals a day (coconut oil included). So last week I thought I'm going to eat 1500 a day and NOT count the coconut oil cals (so in reality it is probably something like 1800.) And of course for the first time in a month I see the scale go down 1.5 lbs! I don't know if that's related but it was the only thing I did different!
  • embclark
    Options
    I tried something different this last week with coconut oil. When I first started going gluten free and mostly paleo I lost 18lbs but then my weight loss plateaued for about a month. I was doing everything right (working out, eating clean) and nothing was working. I was sticking to about 1500 cals a day (coconut oil included). So last week I thought I'm going to eat 1500 a day and NOT count the coconut oil cals (so in reality it is probably something like 1800.) And of course for the first time in a month I see the scale go down 1.5 lbs! I don't know if that's related but it was the only thing I did different!

You give me hope! Thanks!
  • debbylee22
    Options

Me too!!
    How many TBS of CO do you eat a day?
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Could someone explain to the hypo newb what coconut oil does? It wasn't mentioned in the fact/diet sheets I got from my doctor.
  • risec10
    risec10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Me too!!
    How many TBS of CO do you eat a day?
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I usually do about 2 1/2- 3 tbs a day. I break it up in the morning and afternoon. Morning I usually take it in my coffee which I know some people are grossed out by. Afternoon I take it with yerba mate tea. I swear by the stuff :)
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Could someone explain to the hypo newb what coconut oil does? It wasn't mentioned in the fact/diet sheets I got from my doctor.
    Hi,
    If you do a search in this group, or on google for - virgin coconut oil/hypothyroidism - you will find lots of information on how it helps thyroid issues and weight loss.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just recently went out and bought a good tub of coconut oil and I have been taking 2-3 TBS per day. I also cook with it all the time. The only other oil I use is olive oil.
    Anyway, I was wondering this same thing... I havent been counting them but then 2-3 TBS is around 240 - 360 calories. I have already upped my cals hoping to break through a plateau but I dont want the CO to put me WAY over. Anyway, I am not going to count it for a couple of weeks. If the scale stands still or goes up then I will start to count it. Let me clarify - if I cook with it, I count it. The 2-3 I take as a supplement, I dont count.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I tried something different this last week with coconut oil....So last week I thought I'm going to eat 1500 a day and NOT count the coconut oil cals (so in reality it is probably something like 1800.) And of course for the first time in a month I see the scale go down 1.5 lbs! I don't know if that's related but it was the only thing I did different!

I'm going to seriously consider trying this. I have been stuck at the same weight for awhile now. Thanks for sharing.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do at least 2 tbsp a day. I find it hard to do 3. But with 2, I find that along with other good food choices, it fills me up so much that I don't need to snack in between meals, and therefore the calories are saved for the bigger meals. :)
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I tried something different this last week with coconut oil....So last week I thought I'm going to eat 1500 a day and NOT count the coconut oil cals (so in reality it is probably something like 1800.) And of course for the first time in a month I see the scale go down 1.5 lbs! I don't know if that's related but it was the only thing I did different!

I'm going to seriously consider trying this. I have been stuck at the same weight for awhile now. Thanks for sharing.

Me too!! Is that all you did differently?? Worth a try!!
  • sarahp95
    sarahp95 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm so glad I found so many helpful people going through the same thing as me! :)
    I have Hashi and I just started taking one tablespoon of coconut oil everyday! My question is should I have more for it to help me lose weight? And also, does it matter what time of day I take it? Like before breakfast to get my metabolism up or does it not make a difference?
  • jenni3001
    jenni3001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I want to start taking CO but I can't find it in the stores. Where do you get it?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options

This ^^^
    I am also doing 1500 calories and always stay under 100 carbs but I have been slacking off the coconut oil because it takes so many calories away from eating my meals. After reading this I am not going to count my coconut oil and see what happens. I have coconut oil as the oil used for my popcorn 1 tbls plus oil to season it after cooked instead of butter.
    I also have hypothyroidism and notice it has helped me to rub it on my throat where the thyroid gland is.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I want to start taking CO but I can't find it in the stores. Where do you get it?

This ^^^
    You can buy it online or in health food stores. I have tried 5 brands and compared the Coconut oil. In my opinion Barlean's is the best tasting. You can use the search engine to find out where to buy it online. Amazon carries Barleans and other brands also.
  • rec212329
    rec212329 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Reading these post has been an eye opener for me. When I first started on MFP I was using coconut oil on just about everything I cooked but stopped because it was taking away too many calories. But during the time I was cooking with it is when I had a steady decrease in my weight. For the past 3 weeks I have had almost no change in my weight so I'm going to start using the oil and not counting it just to see it will help.
  • hkandiko
    hkandiko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you take the soft gels or straight oil?