Lifting on consecutive days

Options
ajhr
ajhr Posts: 92 Member
I'm a few weeks in to the program and digging it so far. I'm regularly the only woman in the weight room - definitely the only one pressing and squatting! - and I feel a bit badass, even with my low weights :)

Anyway, due to assorted life stuff I'm only able to get to my gym Sunday to Wednesday.
Should I:
a. Lift on two consecutive days, working out Sunday, Monday and Wednesday, or
b. Drop the program to two days per week, working out Monday and Wednesday?

I'm hoping that option a is alright, given that I then have a full three-day rest before the next workout, but I don't want to risk hurting myself, either.

Could someone more experienced help me out, please? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think you will find that squatting, especially if you go up in weight will be just killing you if you don't take a day rest.

I would suggest two days, go Sunday, rest Monday, do something cardio like on Tuesday and go for the weights again on Wednesday.

I cycle every day and it doesn't affect me on the day prior lifting, or same day, but I have to usually take a day off and just rest after lifting.

Hope that helps :)
  • ajhr
    Options
    I think you will find that squatting, especially if you go up in weight will be just killing you if you don't take a day rest.

I would suggest two days, go Sunday, rest Monday, do something cardio like on Tuesday and go for the weights again on Wednesday.

I cycle every day and it doesn't affect me on the day prior lifting, or same day, but I have to usually take a day off and just rest after lifting.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks, that does help a bit :)
    This isn't the only activity I do; I'm also working through C25k (again!) and doing a spot of yoga here and there. Those are things I can do Thursday - Saturday quite happily as I don't need access to the gym for them.
    What do you think about lifting Sunday and Monday if I don't up my weight on the squats? Or skip them for the one workout?

I hope I don't come across as foolish; I'm just really enjoying the workout and starting to see results - it's addictive!
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Addictive indeed.

Try it and see what works for you. I mean if you feel that your muscles aren't recovering then you are overdoing it, you will be able to tell.

Good luck and happy lifting! :flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    when you are just starting out you might be able to do back to back but I don't recommend it as a long term strategy. Once it starts to get tough, drop to 2 days a week until your schedule changes and you can add a third day in. ITs certainly possible to squat every day but people who do that have been squatting a long time and their bodies are used to the stress. If this is still new to you you could end up hurting yourself that way.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Starting Strength, which is a little different, but my understanding is that the recovery days are part of the programme. That's the part where the muscles are growing or rebuilding or whatever it is they do (and oddly, the part where you're actually getting stronger, without doing anything!). Sometimes I only manage to fit in two workouts a week, which isn't ideal at all, but I would skip a workout rather than add one in on a consecutive day.

I'm a strength training noob, though, so don't take this as gospel!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about lifting says it's not the lifting that builds, it's the recovery. Liefting tears, rest builds. You need to give yourself at least 1 recovery day in between lifting days.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would agree...rest and do two days a week. Although I hadn't planned, for one reason or another I find myself lifting two days rather than 3 most weeks. Sometimes, my legs just need an extra days rest, sometimes it is schedule related. I have been going on casual hikes with a friend on the weekends and the exercise is plenty.
  • ajhr
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!
    I'll drop down to two days per week until things even out a bit more. Risk of injury aside, it's probably best for my sanity, anyway - I'm already packing a lot into each week and things are somewhat hectic!

Thanks again :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I can only do two days at the moment (or I'd have to do back-to-back days). So, I do Saturday and Monday, 5x5. Wednesday, at home, I do some dumbell work (jump squats, shrugs, etc.) I am much too sore in my glutes and hamstrings and shoulders to do 5x5 consecutively. But it's nice to work some isolated muscles every week as well.