What motivates you....

Options
kascntry
kascntry Posts: 18 Member
After reading some of the posts in the introductions thread....I saw a theme start. It got me thinking...What motivates you to lose weight? (anything besides the ring??)

Before the ring....my health & wanting to spend a LONG healthy life w/ the love of my life was my motivation. Honestly....that still is the big reason but, I won't lie...the engagement ring is a large push.

In November 1997 I was at the lowest weight I can remember being. I had been trying to lose but, hadn't really been watching what I was eating or anything. This was also when I was diagnosed w/ Hodgkins Disease. My Dr had put me on a steroid which after a month or so...I had gained SO much weight. It was like I couldn't stop eating. I would get done w/ breakfast & start to think of lunch. After my Mom talked to the Dr to see if I could be taken off the med....the damage had been done. The Dr told me for YEARS that I had to lose weight. I knew I had to but, I just couldn't stick to any type of weight loss program.

Here it is 15yrs or so later & I'm still struggling. My Mom & I had been a part of TOPS but, that group fell through. I had lost about 15lbs w/ that but, put it right back on. I went to a nutritionalist but, I got lost or stuck on the way she was explaining things & never got it figured out. This time though...I'm ready to turn my life around. I have been on Center for Medical Weight Loss program & have been doing very well. My fiancee & I have joined the local YMCA & I try to make it there x3 a week. It has been working but, not as much as I would like. I watch the scale go down & my measurements continue to go down also which makes me excited. I am really doing it this time!! Hopefully I will continue now for life.

What I hope to lose is at least 100lbs before the wedding & then keep it off. As you can see...I still have a bit to go. Share your story?? We'd be happy to hear!!

Replies

• sgoodie66
    sgoodie66 Posts: 2
    Options
    For me i have always been overweight, as long as i can remember. I have always been told to lose weight by friends and family but have never wanted to myself, i think i was very much in denial and i was always happy so long as i stayed the same dress size, but over the years it seemed to creep up one size at a time, and i got to the point where i refused to buy clothes. I hate that changing room so much i avoided it altogether too ashamed of what i had become. When the ring went on my finger, one of my first thoughts was that i cant go dress shopping the way i am i am too ashamed to walk into a wedding dress shop. So i have to lose weight to be happy to enjoy my life fully get out of the house and be motivated and be able to wear shorts or a skirt in the summer. or even be able to go swimming with out having to try to cover up as much as possible till i get in the water. So i guess my reason is so i can wear what i want which i know sounds vain but really its so i have the confidence to be able to wear what i want.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The dress!

No, seriously, I have been overweight for most of my life. I was the fat kid all the way through school. When I was about 17, I lost about 30lb but it wasn't in a healthy way. Looking back, I had very disordered eating and thinking about my attitude towards food back then makes me shudder. I was at about 145lb at my lowest - a quite healthy weight for my height, but I couldn't maintain it. I crept back up to about 168lb whilst I was at university, although I was eating far more healthily. I gained about 15lb after moving in with my fiance and finally getting happy! I'm still happy, but I want to be a healthy weight so that we can start to think about children and the rest of our lives after the wedding.
  • shelster29
    Options
    Also "The Dress" for me.

I have always been a chunky girl and always had the the comment said to me "oh you have a lovely face"!!!!!! At my wedding I want people see me as lovely all over and not just face, don't want people to look at me in my dress and think I was too big to wear that certain style!!!! This kinda sounds like I'm vain but I'm not I just want to look back at my photos and not regret or cringe at how I look.

Curvy Bride xx
  • Adele_J
    Adele_J Posts: 8
    Options
    THE DRESS!!!!!

I dont wanna be crying during my dress shopping or fitting because I just can't fit into anything!!! Plus I was told alot of the samples are around size 10 in a dress shop and I am a size 18/20!!! I am going to be devistated!!!
  • Myiesha_W
    Myiesha_W Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to walk down the aisle as my best self! :heart: