RNY Surgery tomorrow morning...

Options
So my day has finally come to have surgery! Tomorrow morning I check in at the hospital and surgery is scheduled for 11:30am...

I'm nervous now. I wasn't nervous at all until yesterday and today...last night I didn't sleep very well...actually only about 3 hours total and I'm completely expecting to not sleep at all tonight.

Replies

• J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    Try to remain calm, you're about to make a huge change in your life--for the better! You've worked hard for this and pretty soon you will be living the healthy lifestyle you deserve. I wish you the best of luck! Keep us all posted.
  • DrTerri
    DrTerri Posts: 12
    Options
    IT was not nearly as bad as I had made it in my head.. Trust your doctor.. Make sure to bring non petroleum lip balm (like burt's bees) (you won't be able to drink for a while).. and don't be afraid to push the pain button in the first day at the hospital..

It was over quickly, and I was up and moving around quicker than I had though..
  • DrTerri
    Options
    Oh yeah.. one more thing.. you won't be able to gulp after surgery.. so today while you can still have fluid.. something I was so glad I did.. I made a big cold glass of water and gulped it all down.. and then I did it again.. I celebrated a few things I would not be able to do after.. It seems minor.. but I was glad i did it..
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am so excited for you! I remember how nervous I was. The first week was the toughest. I hurt and I had to walk...remember....walk walk walk and walk some more. It will help you so much. Chin up! Get ready for the ride of your life! See you on the losers bench!
  • romyker
    romyker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Compared to other surgeries I've had, the RNY was almost a cake walk. The only pain I really had was from the gas caused by laparoscopic surgery in general... nothing the little pain button couldn't take care of. Walk as soon as they tell you to, but also allow yourself to rest and heal. Too often we marginalize or ignore our bodies' needs. Even if they do it via laparoscopy, it's still major surgery and you should allow yourself the time and rest you'll need to heal.
  • smileitmakespeoplewonder
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm excited, but still so nervous. I even woke up this morning and started crying. Not sure what's going on there! lol

I'm okay now, got up, showered and now just waiting for my friend to arrive to take me to the hospital. I'm ready start this new phase of my life and live a healthier and happier life.

I will post as soon as I get home!!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the crying... you have a lot going on right now and it is very emotional. I'm 6 months out and down 50lbs, and I remember well the few days before my surgery! There was so much I wanted to get done before the surgery, knowing I wouldn't be up to much for a few weeks post surgery. I had my calendar marked with little jobs to get done and the day before I put aside to pack for the hospital and to "fret and worry"... everyone who saw that on my calendar had different reactions. Partly it was a reminder to me that everything I had worked for so far was about to come to pass, but more a little private joke with myself! I was very lucky with both my surgery and recovery... best case textbook example. I have a wonderful team backing me up and there with lots of advice and support.

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and recovery... you will see this as the best decision you every made within a few weeks. (Take pictures, and lots of them... I've taken mine in a doorway, which helps with "seeing" the weightloss as more and more door appears in the pictures. Also, I wore a bikini (not a pretty sight), so I could see the changes in my body... bra and undies would do the same thing.)
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Great news and good luck! You made it this far - tomorrow will be the 'first day of the rest of your life!' (I know overused statement). Remain calm and don't over think anything. You know you want it and every medical professional in the hospital will be rooting for you. Keep your head up, smile, be brave and before you know it you'll be home again - ready to start your new outlook on life. I'm soon to be 6mo since surgery. I'm so happy I made the choice and I continue the committment. You'll be proud of yourself, and everyone will be proud of you. YOU CAN DO IT. Let us know everything when you are resting comfortably at home. :drinker:
  • DrTerri
    Options
    How are you doing? one week out?