Help?

Options
ginaml66
ginaml66 Posts: 4 Member
Hello all

My name is Gina, I live in BC, Canada and I am just starting on this journey. My very first appointment is next week. I always thought the surgery was not a good way to lose weight as I have been told so many nightmare stories. Now at the age of 45 I weigh 334.lbs and I am 5'9". I struggle with who I am and I cannot seem to like myself enough to diet and stick to it. So here I am thinking about the surgery. Help me.......be honest.......do you have any regrets? What advice would you give me?
Thanks, I know you get it and have been there or are in the same boat, if you are just starting as well, let’s support one another.

Gina

Replies

• Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had LapBand surgery at 40. I weighed 340 lb at my highest and am 5'9.25". The thing that finally convinced me to have surgery was that I knew that even if I could lose the weight, I'd still be hungry all the time. That's no way to live. I also thought of the saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. At 40, I'd tried everything except weight loss surgery. It was all I had left.

I've lost 70 pounds, and I've had to work really hard (and am still working hard to get the weight off). But at least it's working this time. I wish I had done it sooner. I think I would have preferred to have the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. The band is more work, but it's what I've got. I had no complications, and I've learned what and how to eat so that I don't have too many problems getting food down. I don't regain my weight even when I'm bad, and it is helping me with hunger.
  • SCSleeve2012
    SCSleeve2012 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the sleeve done on 4/18/2012, I weighed 202 at surgery and I have lost 39 lbs since. It has been a struggle (mostly mental) but been well worth it.. No matter which surgery you have, it will not be easy. It is only a tool and will require you to learn how to eat all over again. You will have to exercise a good bit. I was good with diets but any time I stopped I would again the weight back and always said if I should onl,y tape my mouth shut.... So here I am with the closest thing to that. I could have done any weight loss surgery I wanted. My doctor said it was up to me, didn't matter to him except he didn't want me to do the lap band. He takes out more than he puts in. He said I would get about the same results out of either the VSG or the by-pass. So before you make up your mind talk to your doctor and see which one he says is good for you. Hope all this helps and good luck!! You can friend me and look at what I eat and how I exercie if you like. scsleeve
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 47 and had the lap band surgery done last August, almost a year ago. I have lost 85 pounds. I am 5'10" and the day I met with the surgeon I weighed 380#. The surgery is NOT AN EASY OUT!! It's work. You still have to make good choices, you still have to get up and do the exercise. There are ways around the band, it doesn't stop you from eating ice cream and other things that you shouldn't.

Now that I have told you what it doesn't do, let me tell you what it has done for me. It has made it easier to eat a small serving and be satisfied. I can choose to eat the lean, dense protein and let the band do it's job by keeping my full for at least 5 hours before I am hungry again.

Good luck. Do your research, talk, talk, talk to people who have been there. I have not had any problems since I had the band put in. As a matter of fact, I am no longer a diabetic. I am no longer on Cholesterol medication. I am on only 1/2 of the blood pressure medication that I was on. It's been an amazing journey so far. The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass on 4/4/12. I am 47. I have had very few complication so far. The main thing was I had to have my gall bladder removed a week ago. Other than that I deal with a little nausea from time to time but nothing that I cant deal with. I am 5'2 and started out at 300 pounds. This morning I was 229. I am not going to say its easy....it isnt. Lets be frank, most of us have been obese because we dont have a good relationship with food. We over eat...pure and simple. I know that I have been using food as a comfort since I was young. Surgery will help you by restricting the amount that you can eat...for awhile. You have to do the part of working on those "head issues" that have lead you to overeat in the first place. I am currently doing a lot of work on my body...but I am doing some on my brain too. This is a complete lifestyle change. I am learning to have a healthy relationship with myself and with food for the first time in my life. This is essential for any surgery to be successful. It will be important to develop good eating habits and to exercise regularly. But is it worth it? Oh yes. Hundred times over. I feel so much better that it is hard for me to believe how bad I actually felt before. I would do it again everyday and twice on Sundays! My only regret is that I wasnt ready to do it earlier. If you are really ready to change your life, then yes...it is completely worth it.
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I went to gastric bypass in May of 2010 and I weighed 310 pounds. ( I am 5'10) It's July of 2012 and I have lost 70 pounds so far. I got pregnant 6 months post op which was not the thing to do, but I had been in the hospital with a complication of bacteria in my intestines (turns out yogurt and ginger could have fixed that) and the antibiotics they gave me knocked my birth control out. So I ate or grazed continuously so I wouldn't hurt the baby.

In retrospect its good because i can't over eat if I wanted to. I hurt badly and then I am miserable for a day or so if I even try. However, had I known all I had to do was eat 1200 calories a day and stick to 5 grams of fat and 15 carbs at each meal I might have spared myself the surgical invasion. I never once got a straight answer on what I should eat and how much until AFTER I got this surgery done.

So, it has its good points and bad. Just like anything else. If I had to do it over again it would be a toss up. I have dieted and worked out for 15 years and never lost much (because my food was the problem) and now I still have to watch the food, watch my calories and fat and carbs and I could have done that without the surgery. So I guess like I said...the only bonus for me is that I can't sit down and eat a bag of oreos or eat a whole pizza anymore.

It's all about discipline and self control with the surgery or without it....that's my opinion. Some others might not agree and that's fine but I really wish I had just paid to see a nutritionist years ago instead of personal trainers and listening to people and reading self help books. When i did what the nutritionist said I lost 15 pounds in about 3 weeks. That was a few months ago. I don't really gain weight but I don't lose it because I still graze too much and I eat high caloric foods.

In the end...it's up to you. I'm 50/50 on it.
  • CruellaClo
    CruellaClo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and I had RNY surgery on 3/7/2012 and I started at 253.5 today I am 190 and feeling great. It is not an easy journey but I think one that has been worth it for me.

I have had a relatively easy time. A few times I have gotten sick from food not agreeing with me. But otherwise if I follow the doctor and the nurtitionist guidlines I am pretty happy. I feel like I am eating .. .just less and differently.

I went shopping this weekend for new clothes because mine were just too big to wear anymore. Before surgery I was a size 24 and now a comfy 16.

If your mind is ready and you are willing to do the work.... don't let your age stand in the way. I feel stronger and younger now! Feel free to add me as a friend. Support is really important.

C
  • simplysteff
    Options
    Hi,
    It's a huge decision and it's smart to hear what everyone has to say and weigh your options. Do your research and make an informed decision. I did the yo-yo diet thing for my entire life and was at a point where I needed to change. I was killing myself with food and seemed to lack control over it. The sleeve has been a blessing for me. Started at 325 in Feb of 2012 and lost 60 pounds before surgery. On May 8th I had the sleeve and have been dropping steadily (not super fast) ever since. I'm two months out and feel like I have my life back on track. Whatever you decide, the support on this site is wonderful. Hope to see your progress.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hey there,:drinker:

i had bypass( rny) done in april this year,and love it!! :heart:
    welcome to the group and let us know what you are having done and when x