Choosing ?

Options
ginaml66
ginaml66 Posts: 4 Member
Hello all

My name is Gina, I live in BC, Canada and I am just starting on this journey. My very first appointment is next week. I always thought the surgery was not a good way to lose weight as I have been told so many nightmare stories. Now at the age of 45 I weigh 334.lbs and I am 5'9". I struggle with who I am and I cannot seem to like myself enough to diet and stick to it. So here I am thinking about the surgery. Help me.......be honest.......do you have any regrets? What advice would you give me?
Thanks, I know you get it and have been there or are in the same boat, if you are just starting as well, let’s support one another.

Gina

Replies

• pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Gina,
    I can't offer you much by way of advice as I'm a 'newbie' myself in that I'm only 3 weeks post-op, but I wanted to welcome you to the group and tell you that the speed at which I'm shedding the pounds, I don't have any regrets so far. :happy:
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Gina, I do not regret having had gastric by-pass surgery at all. I do, however, regret having had the lapband and wasted not only my time, but also money on such a tool that does not work long term for many and some just not at all. I am 18 months out on my gastric by-pass and have not lost all I would like to but I know at this point most of the work is up to me, but my doctor says the reason I have had a hard time losing is because I had the lapband first. Now that I understand eating so little messes up your metabolism I have to agree the band has kept me from losing like a normal or as they call it a virgin surgery would have. Go for it because as you know very few are able to maintain the loss you need by diet and exercise alone. If I don't lose another pound I will be happy because of the life I now have, but honestly I'd like to lose another 50 lbs.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Hi Gina! I do not regret it at all! I am 8 months out and need to drop another ten pounds to reach my surgeons goal weight for me. I still want to loose a little more though. There have been a few times that I regretted eating certain foods (that I knew I should not eat) because it made me feel sick. My husband and I went to an amusement park and he got one of those big pretzels. I ate some of his and I am not sure if it was too much carbs or salt or what not but I had to wash it down with water because I did not want to get sick at the park. This happened again today..I just can't resist trying his pretzel even though I know it will make me feel sick :-( If you follow your surgeons plan you will do fine! Good luck :-)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I answered you in another board so I wont rehash it all here...but feel free to friend me if you would like support along the way :)
  • ginaml66
    ginaml66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Imakimm - What type of surgery did you have ?
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I had RNY
  • ktempl
    ktempl Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Gina, I went to the seminar about a year ago, and felt pretty strongly that I would have the lap band. But after listening to all the information, knew that the Gastric Sleeve was the procedure for me. I have absolutely no regrets, I feel so much better, I'm off my Blood Pressure medication, no more joint pain. I can shop in the regular stores. I'm even considering buying a bike and going biking with daughter. The hardest part for me was the week after surgery, trying to get enough water.
    My advice is: Do research, read "The Experts Guide to Weight Loss Surgery by Garth Davis, it has great information in it. Ask a ton of questions when you go to your appointments,and be absolutely honest with all the providers, they are really helpful. The psych team really help me with emotional eating, and getting a handle on it. Good Luck!
    Kelly
  • ldyminerva
    ldyminerva Posts: 21
    Options
    I have absolutely no regrets. I had my DS about 4 years ago and I'm loving it. I dropped 150 pounds in the 1st nine months, and then stopped loosing. I had plastics two years ago, and after all that surgery, I was lazy and went back to my bad eating habits and gained 30 pounds, so I’m trying to lose that 30 here. And trust me, I was BAD over this winter…I ate more than I’ve ever eaten while I was bigger and I did no exercise…I should be lucky I only gained 30 pounds! So when I went to my annual checkup I was shamed and the doc got me on the right track again!

I started at 350 pounds and I’m 5 foot 5 inches and though I’ve never gotten tiny or been a size 4, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m just not supposed to be a size 4.

I choice the DS, because I was too large for the lab band do work for me and I didn’t like the food restrictions with the RYN. I know myself, and I know that I can’t give up sweets and I don’t have a lot of self-control. So, the DS was the right choice for me!
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    Gina, I'm concerned that you said that you just don't like yourself enough to diet and stick with it. Frankly, WLS is not going to help you with that. It is only a tool and works only as well as you work it. You need to love yourself enough first to understand that you deserve to be healthy. That is when you will truly be successful.

BTW, I am actually pre-op, its been a long journey for me to get mine scheduled but should be happening at the end of the month. I decided to to have the RNY, mostly because my insurance wouldn't cover the sleeve.

I suggest you get in with a good program that offers nutritional counseling, psychological counseling, and support groups. It has already made a big difference for me.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree. WLS should only be used as a tool to lose weight after many failed attempts at dieting alone. I am Pre-op too, but I thought about this for a few years before I made a final decision to have Gastric. Good luck to you :).
  • melisa_schow
    Options
    I had the RNY, and the ONLY regret I can think of is being open and telling people... No Support what so ever! (Except my hubby) I got every "Did you try this diet did you try that diet" Advice from every direction! Or the "Did you try Diet and Exercise?"... "Just stop eating so much" Like I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror and said to myself "I'm fat I think I will get major surgery"

Everyone had me so frustrated with their opinions and advice, until I exploded! I was lucky enough to get my surgery done at the Cleveland Clinic, who has an awesome program that puts you through all the classes, support and counseling... Like a years worth. :)

Good Luck to you! And Friend me if you would like some added support with your Journey! :)
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I had the Gastric Sleeve in May of this year and i've lost 84lbs.The only regret i have is that i didn't have it sooner.
  • DrTerri
    DrTerri Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree that is my favorite book (Garth Davis) of like 8 that I read about the surgeries... I highly recommend it.. you can also hear an audio discussion of the different surgeries.. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/divatauniamusic/2012/07/03/weight-loss-surgery-options-from-lap-band-to-sleeve He is one of the discussants..
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What surgery are you considering? Research all options before deciding which one is best for you. No one can decide for you.

I'm 45 and 5'7". I had gastric bypass in 2008. My highest weight was 340 and my current weight is 135. I've had no probems. It was the right choice or me.