New, Confused, and Overweight :(

Options
joeykat16
joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
Hi, I'm Brandi! New member to the group here... I just want to make sure I'm understanding... because this is all new and a little scary to up my calories to lose weight but the research behind it makes sense!

Here's my stats:
SW 194
Height 5'7
Age 27
GW 150

Calculations:
TDEE is 2611
BMR is 1684
Moderate Activity Level (3-5/wk)

2611 at a 20% reduction (I've read anywhere b/w 15-20% is ok, but correct me if I'm wrong!) = 2089 that I should be eating daily. That just seem so high to me... but I haven't seen the scale move eating 1200, 1450, or 1700 calories, soooo....obviously I'm doing something wrong!

If I burn more than 405 calories (difference b/w 2089 and 1684 BMR) exercising then I should eat back just those calories to get me back up to my BMR? Ex. If I burn 450 cals, then I would eat back 45 cals, the difference b/w 450 minus 405.

Is this correct?

Sorry to have ya'll answer the same question over and over but I really appreciate the help! :)

Feel free to add me as well! I'll support you, if you support me! :)

Replies

• rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got it down perfectly!! Assuming your numbers are correct.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me, but we don't usually recommend 20% around here...I'd encourage you to use at most a 15% deficit.
    Welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    sounds good to me, but we don't usually recommend 20% around here...I'd encourage you to use at most a 15% deficit.
    Welcome!! :flowerforyou:

Welcome to the site...this would be my answer as well :)
  • joeykat16
    joeykat16 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I got all the numbers from the scooby calculator.

:)
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    A 15% cut would be around 2200 calories a day. Which is the same I got from the ChooseMyPlate website (I've been doing a little testing to see if this is is inline with the Scooby numbers)

This group also recommends custom setting your macros to 40% Carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat, which differs a bit from Federal feeding guidelines.

Daily Food Plan
    Eating these amounts from each food group daily may help you gradually reach a healthier weight. This plan is a 2200 calorie food pattern. Click here for more information about weight loss diets.

This plan is based on average needs for a 27 year old female, 5 feet 7 inches tall, physically active 30 to 60 minutes a day, in the healthy weight range. Your calorie needs may be more or less than the average, so check your weight regularly. If you do not see gradual weight loss, adjust the amount you are eating.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/results.html?name=undefined&age=27&gender=female&weight=126&heightfeet=5&heightinch=7&activity=low&originalweight=194&validweight=1&validheight=1&weightN=126&heightfeetN=5&heightinchN=7&&inputCal=2600&option=4
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I got all the numbers from the scooby calculator.

:)

Scooby calculator gives you an option for 20%, but 15% is the general recommendation, even less of a defecit if someone is very close to goal weight.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey we're pretty similar! My goal weight right now is 175, but in an ideal world it'd be lower. I'm just a little bit more sedentary and am currently saying I'm "light exercise" or whatever of 1-3 hours a week. I've been doing this for about a month and a little bit more. I know it seems like a lot of calories! I didn't really lose weight super fast but I'm on my way, I also just overall feel healthier as I slowly but surely reach my macros.

I would also recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It helps explain why it's ok to eat so many calories and also the importance of lifting. I haven't been able to get myself a gym membership due to some financial troubles but I think soon I'll be able to start lifting and then I imagine the pounds/inches will start really shifting.