results after a diet break!

mrs_dwr
mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
I just wanted to share a little about my experience with EM2WL in case some of you are on the fence or needing some encouragement! Eating more calories really does work!

I've been part of this group since May, but never did a VLCD in the first place, and have been 'eating more' since March. I went to 15% cut from TDEE, but didn't lose right away since it took a few weeks to really tweak and figure out my actual daily calorie burn. After about 10 weeks of slow and semi-steady progress (it was sort of tapering off), I read about taking a 'diet break' where you eat at maintenance for a week or two. I decided to give it a shot and increased to TDEE in the middle of June.

After 2 weeks eating at TDEE (during which I still actually lost 1/2 pound somehow), I went back to a 15% cut. I went out of town the day before my weigh-in day (horrible timing!) so I didn't get to see my progress after 1 week of eating at cut. Today was weigh-in day after 2 weeks at cut - I'm down 1.5 pounds (which is right on track based on my calculations)!

I wholeheartedly recommend taking a diet break if you've been eating at a deficit for a while. It was actually a little difficult trying to fit in enough calories each day at TDEE. But from the mental side of things, it was so great to see that I could eat 2313 (!!!!) calories per day and NOT GAIN ANYTHING (remember, I actually still lost 1/2 lb during those 2 weeks). I am definitely in this for the long haul - who wouldn't want to eat that many calories for the rest of their life? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TikiTanya
    TikiTanya Posts: 17 Member
    Awesome to know!! I do need to go to TDEE eventually I think. Been at 15pct cut since beginning of May and maintaining not losing anything. Thanks for sharing
  • Awesome results!
    I just did a week eating at TDEE and am back to my cut. Feeling a little more hungry today. But not going to worry if it takes me a couple of days to get back to being use to 2000kcal!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I've been thinking I need a diet break as well.

I should just take the plunge.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I completely agree with this. I do a diet break by taking a rest week from working out. It's the only time I see scale changes.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Great news :)
    Keep up the good work
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Our stories are very similar, never being on a VLCD and going straight to a 15% cut from the beginning. I was steadily losing until June rolled around when I stopped losing and actually started gaining. I also had the Mirena inserted the beginning of June, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

I'm doing the same thing and started a reset week yesterday. I haven't decided whether I'm going to do 1 or 2 weeks yet. Your post gives me hope that the scale will start moving again when I go back to cut.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    I have been on about 10 weeks and weigh loss has slowed so plan a break for 9 days from now when I am on vacation. So good to hear that it went well. I was debating about 1 week or two - you did two huh?
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    I figured I wasn't really losing much anyway, so at least by eating at maintenance, I'd be *not losing* on purpose. I think, though, even without the scale numbers, it really bolstered my confidence in eating more, because I DIDN'T GAIN ANYTHING while eating so many calories. That mentality of 'oh no, if I increase, I'll gain it all back!' is so strong, so ingrained in me. So taking a couple weeks to eat that many calories and see the reality that - hey, this IS maintenance - was huge for me.

The reason I did 2 weeks was because I read an article (somebody on em2wl posted the link, but I have no idea who....sorry!) that said the first week of eating at TDEE helps your body to refuel, get the hormones back in balance, get the metabolism up, etc. The 2nd week everything starts to really work and thrive. That way, when you cut on the 3rd week, all engines are humming along smoothly (instead of confusing your body as to whether you're eating at maintenance or a deficit by switching back too soon).
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I have been tossing in a week at or close to TDEE every 8 weeks or so.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Great progress! Thanks for sharing!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    thanks for sharing. I'm actually taking this week off from exercise because of an injury and decided to relax my eating as well. I hope it'll help me too!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Thanks for posting this. It all sounds really positive.

I too went straight in with a 15% cut and have been at that number for 10 weeks or so. I was planning to do two weeks at TDEE starting on Sunday but was laid up in bed with the flu and forget making TDEE, I didn't even make BMR lol

I've decided to carry on eating my cut number for a few more days, without my workouts because I'm just so drained and figure an exercise break is as good as eating TDEE whilst working out. I'm then going to increase to TDEE with workout for a week then drop back to my cut.

Maybe we need a 'cut break' stickie ;) I struggled to find info about it but remembered seeing it in a post that I'd skimmed through. All these things make sense but sometimes I just want someone to hold my hand through the initial stages and tell me I'm doing the right thing. If I don't have that I get attach to calculators and am constantly working out my numbers .... obsessed.... Lol
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Sounds like you are doing great. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm also trying a reset. Going up from 1,500 to 2,300 is a little scary but seeing someone who has had success is encouraging!

• The reason I did 2 weeks was because I read an article (somebody on em2wl posted the link, but I have no idea who....sorry!) that said the first week of eating at TDEE helps your body to refuel, get the hormones back in balance, get the metabolism up, etc. The 2nd week everything starts to really work and thrive. That way, when you cut on the 3rd week, all engines are humming along smoothly (instead of confusing your body as to whether you're eating at maintenance or a deficit by switching back too soon).

Thanks for this info guess I'll keep trucking along at TDEE this week! Awesome timing since boyfriend made awesome sausage gravy biscuits this morning!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I figured I wasn't really losing much anyway, so at least by eating at maintenance, I'd be *not losing* on purpose. I think, though, even without the scale numbers, it really bolstered my confidence in eating more, because I DIDN'T GAIN ANYTHING while eating so many calories. That mentality of 'oh no, if I increase, I'll gain it all back!' is so strong, so ingrained in me. So taking a couple weeks to eat that many calories and see the reality that - hey, this IS maintenance - was huge for me.

The reason I did 2 weeks was because I read an article (somebody on em2wl posted the link, but I have no idea who....sorry!) that said the first week of eating at TDEE helps your body to refuel, get the hormones back in balance, get the metabolism up, etc. The 2nd week everything starts to really work and thrive. That way, when you cut on the 3rd week, all engines are humming along smoothly (instead of confusing your body as to whether you're eating at maintenance or a deficit by switching back too soon).

I have that same mentality of gaining if I increase and that is what has stopped me from doing the reset. I don't know why I had such a hard time taking the plunge. I didn't gain when I upped my calories to a 15% cut, I lost 6.5 lbs.

Anyway, I decided to go for it. My plan is to do one week and then go from there.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    when i started my cut on 7/1, i said i would take a break and have a maintenance week every 6 weeks. my first maintenance week coincides with my vacation (zumba instructor convention in orland) in august! perfect timing. haha.