tempeh help

Options
TanzaMarie
TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
I've been (basically) vegan for about 6 months and I just started trying some of the "weirder" options. So far I've liked nearly everything. I really thought I would like tempeh, but when I made it today it tasted kinda blah, but with a horrible aftertaste. I prepared it like it suggested on the package, in a frying pan with soy sauce. I used the Lightlife 3 grain.

Can anyone suggest some recipes that are good for newbies like me. It also helps if it tastes omnivore friendly since i'm trying to get my parents to change their diet as well.

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I love tempeh - mostly for the texture. I prefer it stir fried with seasoning, and I don't always stir fry with oil, sometimes just with a little water in the pan. It's good sliced on a sandwich or in a salad. I like meals with lots of complimenting ingredients and flavors so I don't mind that it's bland. If they sell the flavored versions near you I'd try them because they're all delicious. They make a tempeh bacon that makes one heck of a vegan BLT or breakfast sandwich.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you try steaming it before cooking it. Steaming takes away some of that acidic tang of the tempeh and also allows for the marinade to set for a stronger flavor. I steam it for 10 minutes and then put the hot tempeh straight into a marinade bath. Let it soak for a few hours and then bake it.

My favorite marinade for tempeh is a mixture of:
    - Soy Sauce
    - Water
    - Maple Syrup
    - Garlic
    - Apple Cider Vinegar

I don't have exact measurements, just season to taste :)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you try steaming it before cooking it. Steaming takes away some of that acidic tang of the tempeh and also allows for the marinade to set for a stronger flavor. I steam it for 10 minutes and then put the hot tempeh straight into a marinade bath. Let it soak for a few hours and then bake it.

My favorite marinade for tempeh is a mixture of:
    - Soy Sauce
    - Water
    - Maple Syrup
    - Garlic
    - Apple Cider Vinegar

I don't have exact measurements, just season to taste :)

Yes, steam it first!

Then dump it into a bowl full of wing sauce! Then fry it up in a cast iron skillet with teeniest bit of oil to prevent sticking. THEN DEVOUR IT! NOM NOM!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    These are my faves:

http://www.thekindlife.com/post/yummy-tempeh-tacos
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/barbecue-tempeh

Tempeh Salad Sandwich:
    Crumble tempeh, add Veganaise, green onion, S&P, nutritional yeast to taste. (optional: nuts, kelp granules, cranberries).
    so good and easy! Put on bread or leaf lettuce.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can't eat tempeh anymore because there is usually sneaky gluten in it, but I think I used to like chopping it up really small and throwing it in pasta sauce while it was cooking. Then I would add broccoli, onions, and garlic to the sauce and have it over pasta. I also liked to cook it in a pan with soy sauce, but I see you don't!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for Tempeh Helper. It is amazing!

Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce

Adapted from Appetite for Reduction, page 173

1/4 + 1/8 cup nutritional yeast
    1/8 cup all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    pinch ground turmeric
    1 cup vegetable stock
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons lemon juice

Mix the nutritional yeast, flour, garlic powder, onion powder and turmeric into a bowl and mix together.

Pour in 1 cup vegetable stock and whisk until as smooth as possible.

Pour into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 10 minutes. Take off the heat and whisk through the Dijon mustard and lemon juice.

Tempeh Helper

Adapted from Appetite for Reduction, page 171

Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce (above)
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    113g chilli tempeh
    1 3/4 cup water
    85g angelhair pasta, broken into pieces
    1/2 tablespoon Braggs
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    100g broccoli florets

Seasoning Mix

1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
    pinch white pepper
    1 tablespoon "beef" style vegan stock powder
    1 teaspoon arrowroot

Steam the tempeh and mash into "mince" style pieces.

Mix together the seasoning mix ingredients and set to one side.

Heat 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a deep sided frying pan over a medium heat. Have a lid that fits onto that pan to hand.

Add the tempeh to the frying pan and fry until coloured and beginning to stick slightly - add another 1/2 teaspoon olive oil if required. Deglaze with 2 tablespoons water, then add the seasoning mix and 1 3/4 cups water and mix well. Add the angelhair pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick, for about 10 minutes.

When the pasta is cooked, take off the lid and add the Braggs and lemon juice and stir well until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.

Whilst the tempeh and pasta is cooking, steam the broccoli.

Serve the tempeh and pasta mixture and broccoli covered by the cheezy sauce.
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to give these a try. Especially steaming!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Oops I posted the wrong link up there for the BBQ Tempeh... this one is the BOMB... http://www.food.com/recipe/barbecued-tempeh-233749

I made it last time for my meat-eating in-laws and they LOVED it! :D They even started asking more about vegetarianism and the benefits of it. :smile:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try recipes by Terry Romano. She uses it in a bunch of things.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oops I posted the wrong link up there for the BBQ Tempeh... this one is the BOMB... http://www.food.com/recipe/barbecued-tempeh-233749

I made it last time for my meat-eating in-laws and they LOVED it! :D They even started asking more about vegetarianism and the benefits of it. :smile:

Thank you for this!! I will be making this soon, mmm bbq