Insanity Progress Report

Options
SilverLuma
SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
How is it going? Are you struggling with anything? Have you pushed yourself past a hurdle that you are proud of? Favorite things about the workout? Least favorite things about the workout?

Just thought maybe a thread to whine and cheer on would be good :).

I was really struggling with sore muscles on the first two days. I was afraid they were too sore to continue! But I pushed myself through the second workout and woke up this morning with my muscles feeling much better! Now I'm pumped. Also I can already tell a difference in my muscles. Especially my legs! I'm pleased with the noticeable results within such a short time period. I still can barely do a lot of the movements but I'm trying! That's what counts right? :)

Replies

• LaEliFish
    LaEliFish Posts: 4
    Options
    I have felt a reduction in the soreness after three days. I find the arm strength exercises to be incredibly challenging, I have to do modified versions of push-up jacks, for example.
    I worry sometimes that I am not getting enough out of it because I cant to the exercises like they do it on the video (or at least not at the same pace). I just have to keep reminding myself to keep my form and keep moving.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    So far so good! I, too, had sore muscles the first few days, but thankfully that went away.

I can keep up with the workout better now (I'm on Recovery Week, which isn't as hard as the workouts during the week but is still a workout!). I haven't lost weight (not doing the program to lose any), thankfully, and I'm not following the meal plan, but I sometimes wonder if maybe I'd be seeing more results if I was. I don't eat unhealthy (most of the time ;-)), but I know I could improve a bit.

The suicide drills tire me out every time! And the lunges, arghhh! Hate. :-) I like the ski downs and belt kicks because they make it feel like I'm getting a workout. Not that the other things don't, but I like these. :-)
  • ykakomba
    ykakomba Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    me too, sore muscles especially my feet, but it's gone in 3rd day and i feel my stamina getting stronger
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    Glad to hear the soreness goes away, I am doing day 3 today, and I've never been so sore in my entire life! SO WORTH IT!
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    The soreness definitely goes away. At least so far :). I am about to start my first Pure Cardio workout. I'm hoping I can really get into it today since most of my muscle soreness is gone. I really enjoyed the cardio recovery. Don't get me wrong, it was tough but somewhat relaxing. Some of the stretching and muscle exercises reminded me of a yoga class.

I like the belt kicks too! I also like the basic 123 in the warmup. Reminds me of things we would have done in dance classes when I was younger. And the suicide drills are def a workout! Glad to hear the recovery week actually gives you some recovery!

My feet haven't hurt yet, other than that they tend to roll inward on a lot of the stationary excercises. I have really high arches. I'm wondering if maybe I need to get a better arch support in my shoes. I've tried to do the workout minus shoes but I just don't have enough support for my ankles/feet that way. Maybe eventually I'll be strong enough though! :)
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    I have felt a reduction in the soreness after three days. I find the arm strength exercises to be incredibly challenging, I have to do modified versions of push-up jacks, for example.
    I worry sometimes that I am not getting enough out of it because I cant to the exercises like they do it on the video (or at least not at the same pace). I just have to keep reminding myself to keep my form and keep moving.

I find the arm exercises to be too challenging for my current level. I have really weak upper body strength compared to the strength in the rest of my body. I just try to push myself on whatever type of pushup I can do, while they are doing their crazy pushups. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping up :). Everyone I've talked to who has completed this challenge says that speed will come in time, and that as long as you are pushing yourself, keeping your core tight (which I struggle with) and keeping good form that eventually you will get there.
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    Having some issues keeping my core tight as well. I wore a body shaper thing today to help keep it sucked in and make me sweat a little more! Not as sore but still tired and feeling the work!

I modify the push ups a little, I too have terrible upper body strength, even if I don't do the "moving push up" I am right there doing the best regular push up I can do. Still feeling the burn my arms are like jelly! The one leg triceps dips kill me, but I need to get rid of my WINGS!
  • trkinsley
    trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The soreness definitely goes away. At least so far :). I am about to start my first Pure Cardio workout. I'm hoping I can really get into it today since most of my muscle soreness is gone. I really enjoyed the cardio recovery. Don't get me wrong, it was tough but somewhat relaxing. Some of the stretching and muscle exercises reminded me of a yoga class.

I like the belt kicks too! I also like the basic 123 in the warmup. Reminds me of things we would have done in dance classes when I was younger. And the suicide drills are def a workout! Glad to hear the recovery week actually gives you some recovery!

My feet haven't hurt yet, other than that they tend to roll inward on a lot of the stationary excercises. I have really high arches. I'm wondering if maybe I need to get a better arch support in my shoes. I've tried to do the workout minus shoes but I just don't have enough support for my ankles/feet that way. Maybe eventually I'll be strong enough though! :)

I have high arches as well. Ended up getting a ryka shoe that was recommended somewhere else, I think it's the XT-2 trainer, which is really helping. Barefoot I don't dare do. I have really screwed up ankles that don't like plyometrics, I have to be very careful with them or they refuse to cooperate.
  • ofey31
    ofey31 Posts: 15
    Options
    Insanity friends-

I'm behind by 9 workouts and was wondering if I should just start over or pick up with today's workout. I completed the first 2 wks and then 4 workouts from wk 3. I should be on the Recovery wk - Day 3, today. What do you suggest? Or I could try to do 3/day the rest of this week to catch up. Any suggestions? I started on June 11th.
    I've still been exercising by running and doing aerobics classess at the gym.
  • SilverLuma
    Options

I have high arches as well. Ended up getting a ryka shoe that was recommended somewhere else, I think it's the XT-2 trainer, which is really helping. Barefoot I don't dare do. I have really screwed up ankles that don't like plyometrics, I have to be very careful with them or they refuse to cooperate.

Thanks for the tips! I rolled my ankle about 8 years ago doing some acrobats exercises. Which led to me staying away from higher impact exercises for a long time. My ankle is finally recovered. It took a long time, I thought it was perm screwed up but I started running more regularly last year (not that my waist line shows it, ha!) and it helped to strengthen it. I seem to have no trouble with it anymore but I def want to be careful. I'd hate to hurt it so badly again. Most of the stuff in this workout doesn't seem to be hurting my ankle though. I will have to take a look at those shoes! I'd def love some shoes with extra support for it.
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Today is Day 21 for me. Lost 20 pounds so far. I've been fairly religious about it because I am under doc's orders not to lift weights so I picked up INSANITY because there aren't any weights.

I'm basically just using MFP as my nutrition guide but I go heavy on the protein. It's really awesome and I'm enjoying the challenge.

I suck at "Cardio Abs" though :)
  • Beckii330
    Beckii330 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm on Day 38 now, have just about managed to do it as per the schedule but sometimes I take my rest day during the week if I have something else on. I have started Month 2 now and did Max Interval Plyo today - seriously sucked at it which has left me feeling a bit down. Some of the moves are impossible!! I'm not great at strength work anyway so this was a really hard workout.
    Still, I'll carry on, I am proud that I did 9 V push ups by the end of month 1 and that I could do in and outs and some other plank work. There is definitely an improvement so I should improve by the end of month 2 too :-)
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 5! Soreness died down about the Cadrio Recovery whilst I was doing it I thought this is a waste of time but now i'm greatful for it, it's really helped reduce the soreness
  • armyvettech
    Options
    Day 9 today, soreness is all gone and I'm feeling great, staying within my calorie limit and I'm down 2 pounds.
  • mathersl
    mathersl Posts: 2
    Options
    Just completed day 4 cardio recovery, and it's definitely helped the soreness in my calves and feet. Feeling great so far, and excited to finish out the week!
  • adjoa84
    Options
    Didnt do so great eating wise today but i'm going to try and also squeeze in a quick run before Insanity tonight! Saturday will be start of week 2 so Ill weigh in and measure then and report back but i feel a difference in my stamina and my arms already :-)
  • kimharchie
    Options
    On day 4 of insanity and I am soo sore. Havent really seen any difference but hoping too soon..
  • kaigausista
    kaigausista Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm on Month 2 week 3 of insanity and well so far so good but for me month 2 was really insane. Next week will be last week and I have to say, this workout is hard but I love it. I'm planning to do another round of insanity. Started out at 202lbs and today I'm at 192lbs and lost inches as well. There were a few things that I've learned so far; keeping the form is really important plus food is important to fuel the body. Although I was eating healthy at the beginning of insanity my calories were not enough. Eating 1400 to 1500 was ok for me on the first month but when month two came I was too tired and weak to do the workout. I felt like giving up. Thanks to MFP members who responded to my thread on this issue, they advised me to up my calories. I was a bit worried though as I really didn't want to gain any weight I've worked so hard to lose. So I decided to up my calories to 1500-1600 and it really did make a lot of difference. I didn't gain any lb at all but did gain a lot of energy. I'm planning to up my calories next week again so I could really give it my all on my last week of insanity.
    Then there's the knee pain, although I didn't miss any workout (except for this wks fit test) the knee pain really affected my workout. After looking through other threads about this I found out that 'FORM' is really important while doing this workout. So I had to step back and watch my form. So in order to keep doing the workout I had to go at my own pace, it was slower but it really helped with the soreness. Lesson learned and now I'm looking forward to another round of inanity.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee ache. Last month my ankle was bothering me but thankfully that's gone now. Always be careful and watch your safety!
    Have you ever considered the Asylum after Insanity, instead of doing another round?
  • adjoa84
    Options
    Week 1 results; Had a quick peak at the scales and took my measurements from my waist and around each thigh. I'll do the proper measurements on Day 15 but so far I've lost half an inch from my waist and 0.6 inches from each thigh and my body fat is down 1% although my body weight is up slightly (1lb/1.5lb) I'm really pleased with my results. Will monitor my 'fat' and carb intake more closely this week and see what happens. Here's to another 7 days!

WHOOP! I'm ready to dig deeper!