Anyone have issues with High Copper levels and/or Low BP?

Options
starrgazerlily
starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
I had my 6 month check up yesterday. They are thrilled with my progress. I have lost 76% of my excess body weight and 90 lbs so far. The only two things they were concerned with is that 1. my Copper level was significantly elevated from the last time and 2. I have been very dizzy and have almost passed out twice. My BP in the office was 86/62.

They are trying to blame the elevated Copper on my birth control. I am currently on Nuva Ring. I have consulted with 3 OB/GYN's who say that Nuv Ring should not have any role in this as there is no Copper in it. My NUT wanted me to switch to a copper free vitamin but that would mean 2 pills 3 times a day and I just know I'm not going to be compliant with that. I am currently on Nutrametrix Multi Vits, but I am going to phase over to Celebrate Multi Chewable. Nutrametrix has 5mg of Copper and the celebrate only has 2mgs. I have an entire unopened bottle of Nutrametrix so I am going to alternate the two brands until I finished the Nutrametrix. Has anyone else had problems with high Copper? My cerurloplasim (sp?) was also elevated.

The dizzy spells are what worry me. Twice now I have had near syncope episodes. The first time I went down to my knees and my H caught me. The second time I recognized the signs and got myself in a chair before I went down. Both time I was outside in the sun, but wasn't really sweating. Both times I had already reached my minimum for water in take. The first time I thought it was related to having too few carbs for the day. The second time occurred right after we finished eating. I am not diabetic and always had normal blood pressure before surgery. I was shocked yesterday when they took it in the office and it was only 86/62. They took it twice with two different size cuff to make sure it was accurate. Their only suggestions were for my to increase my fluid in take (HOW?!) and add more salt to my diet. They also said if I had another near syncope episode to follow up with my primary care. They think its just a combination of the heat, dehydration and the rapid weight loss. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Scary. I havent had anything that significant, but I am only a little over 3 months out. My blood pressure and heart rate are considerably lower now than pre-op though. At my last drs visit my HR was 64 and my BP 106/62. I would think your dizziness would be most likely related to your BP. Especially since both times you were out in the sun. The heat can cause you to vasodialate a bit and drop your BP even lower. That would only be my guess though.
  • juicep
    juicep Posts: 5
    Options
    I am having issues with a low BP also. I find that if I put a little salt in my diet and drink even more fluids that helps a lot. Normally I don't add salt to anything. And I am just really careful when I stand up..I know what's coming.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, haven't had my copper checked, although I've had that wonderful feeling of nearly passing out, usually when standing up from a crouch, slow or fast, makes no difference... enough so that I weight the pros vs cons when I have to pick something off the floor or on a low shelf and if I do bend down I've figured out before hand what I'm going to hold on to so I can catch myself! Probably should have that checked... I have had high BP spikes before, so it never occured to me that it might be Low! However, hindsight being 20/20... I often check my BP at the drug store and lately it has been much lower than what I'm used too.... I repeat, Hmmmmmm!
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm on BP medication and since my surgery my BP has been pretty low even below 100 at times
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear its a pretty common occurrence. I am going to the beach at the end of this week and I'm little nervous about being out in the sun all day. I just picked up a case of propel too drink on the beach.