Gizmos, gadgets, and the fidgets.....

Options
nettasaura
nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
I am wondering..........are gadgets like the Fitbit Ultra and BMF so sensitive that doing something like fidgeting (and I mean serious fidgeting) in a chair while seated would seriously skew the data results? When I am not up and moving about, I am at my desk, in a chair, frequently bopping out to music....or fidgeting. I've realized I don't know how to sit still........even when sitting cross legged on my bed, I tend to rock back and forth a bit which drives my hubby nuts (chalk that up to rocking babies who refused to sleep unless they were being held). Are these gadgets sensitive enough that the data will be off? If they are, then I probably shouldn't invest in any and just stick with my HRM for work out burns.

I have to wonder because I've read about bumpy car rides affecting the data in a big way......I can't believe my fidgets would amount to a gazillion extra calories burned....more like 100 or so. Whatcha think?

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Fidgeting won't skew the results but it will likely show on your device depending on how you fidget, but that is good, because fidgeting burns calories! :smile:
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Fidgeting won't skew the results but it will likely show on your device depending on how you fidget, but that is good, because fidgeting burns calories! :smile:

THIS!!!! I wish I was more fidgety!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The BMF has an adjustor to help with miscounting of steps. I don't have this problem but I read it from another person. My pedometer used to record more than my BMF. Turn side was in a chair and it counted a step. Glad it broke.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I fidget quite a lot at times and with my BMF I've noticed it doesn't really add a bajillion calories or anything from that, though when I am fidgeting my overall burn for the period is ever so slightly higher than when I am completely still, which I guess makes sense since any movement should burn at least a little more than being totally still.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wonder if mine catches fidgets! I'm very fidgety, especially when at rehearsal. I'll be interested to see responses to this!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Mine BMF and Fitbit get horribly screwed up in my morning commute.

It counts my drive in as moderate activity lol

So I take the BMF off and leave the fitbit on the seat next to me when driving.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine BMF and Fitbit get horribly screwed up in my morning commute.

It counts my drive in as moderate activity lol

So I take the BMF off and leave the fitbit on the seat next to me when driving.

Wow is that odd! Do you drive a jeep on dirt roads?Just kidding... When I ride my bike I put my BMF on my leg to get an accurate count. I don't think mine counts any kind of fidgets....