How do you know if you need a reset?

Options
I've been at this for 4, almost 5 weeks, and nada, nothin', zilch as far as the tape measure goes. I also bought a BodyMedia Fit and have been using it for just over a week. It's telling me I'm averaging 3060 calories expended a day. My average intake has been 2254 and I have always been over 1900.

My calculations from Scooby were BMR of 1810, TDEE of 2578. BTW, I'm 41, male, around 193 and consistently active with running or cycling a few days a week and intense weight sessions that are heavy and cardio at the same time. Nothing to burn 10-15 calories/minute during a 30m weight session. (Constant motion, baby!)

Too soon to tell? Do I need a reset? Overkill? Head case?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I would say for sure to soon to tell. Id give it another two weeks and see whats up. Regardless of changing your calorie content, you could have plateaued at the same time.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Well, if you go by your BMF (which is a pretty accurate indicator from my experience) I'd say you chose the wrong activity level for your scooby calculations since tdee - 15% from BMF is higher than your TDEE from scooby.

Did you come from a yo-yo dieting history or VLCD? If so, you might need a reset, but I'm thinking that it's hard to tell because if you've been eating too few calories still (which it looks like you have been) your results will be off these past few weeks.

My suggestion to you is to first, recalculate your TDEE and TDEE cut using a higher activity level (your BMF and Scooby numbers should be closer together if not exact).

Once you have those new numbers you can do one of two things...you can test out the new tdee - 15% and see what happens in the next 4 - 6 weeks and if you don''t see any loss (just gain or stabilization), then do your reset. Or you can jump into a reset (recommended if you came from a VLCD/Yo-yo Diet), just get the reset done and then start your cut on the right foot. Either way will work, it just might take a little longer to get results if the cut doesn't work at first and you need a reset.
  • ben_running
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I redid Scooby and got BMR 1890, TDEE 2929 and at 15% 2490 (20% 2343). That's almost where I've been hitting this past week. I'll give it a few more weeks (I'm not a patient person...at all) and see what happens.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I redid Scooby and got BMR 1890, TDEE 2929 and at 15% 2490 (20% 2343). That's almost where I've been hitting this past week. I'll give it a few more weeks (I'm not a patient person...at all) and see what happens.
    If EM2WL requires one thing, than patience it is lol
    You have to give things time. this is not a quick fix. Your body needs to adjust to being fed and fuelled properly.
  • ben_running
    Options
    UPDATE: Its been 5 weeks. I just started P90X on Monday and this is day 3. My average outgo has been 3105 (according to BMF) and the income has been 2745.

That being said, with scale readings being unreliable at best, I am down maybe 2.5 lbs (grain of salt) and my last waist measurement was down 0.25, but that can fluctuate as well with settling. (I try to measure fresh out of the shower as to allow my innards to shift from their prone position to their standing position.)

Am I starting to see positive change? Is it still too soon to rule out a reset? Would any gains come from P90X with me having a still messed up metabolism? How would I differentiate?
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always retain water like mad after starting a new workout, so adding P90X may have thrown your results a bit. Maybe give it a couple more weeks eating at the number you're at now and doing P90X and see what happens before making a decision?