lack of enery

Options
pljohnson001
pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
Can someone out there please comment on this extreme lack of energy I seem to have here in week four? Is it related to the lower calories? My doctor said there's a kind of 'hibernation syndrome'. If anyone experienced that, could you please tell me how long it took to push past it and what you did to help? I sleep well at night, but after being up for only a few hours, I feel like I need a nap. I cannot imagine how I'm going to get into an exercise routine with this level of energy.
Thanks.
(DARN! I won't let me correct my spelling of enery to ENERGY.)

Replies

• DrTerri
    DrTerri Posts: 12
    Options
    I had the same thing in week 3... it lasted about a week and a half.. and others said the same thing.. I made sure to schedule naps and it helped..

however, what is your B-12 supplementation? are you taking a sublingual b-12? For many people this lasts until they get their first b-12 shot..

Mine passed.. but I did sleep a lot in that week and a half.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    At this point in your journey, your body is doing some extraordinary things; still healing from major surgery and dropping tons of weight. Of course you're tired. Are you getting in all the protein you're suppose to? I know it's still hard this early out, but do whatever you can to keep the protein up. Take nap if you need to, your body is telling you that you need it. And trust that if you do what you're suppose to, your energy level will return and exceed what you had before.
  • pljohnson001
    Options
    Thank you, you guys (as we say in Minnesota). It helps to know it's not just me, and that it'll pass. I AM getting my protein in, but almost no carbs, so I wondered if the ol' body adjusts to almost no carbs by getting sleepy. The 'major changes' comments helps a lot.
  • Butlavie
    Butlavie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that having dips in energy was going to be normal..There will be times when you are totally wiped out. They also reminded me that our bodies just went through a huge major surgery on the inside..so when my body says rest ..thats exactly what I do..its hard but you needed it...I am 9 weeks out and still experience this.
  • suegmune
    suegmune Posts: 81
    Options
    I am almost 4 weeks in and am experiencing the same thing. I'm just SPENT all the time. But, I ran out of vitamins and I thought that was it. Glad to see others have the same issue. I mean, its not fun, but at least we're not alone :)
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am almost 12 months out and still have this problem from time to time. I have started using the sub-lingual B Complex and it really seems to make a difference. Just one dropper full under the tongue in the morning and I am in pretty good shape the rest of the day. I do find that when I get extremely tired alot of time I am actually in need of water. Try some more water and maybe that will help. Keep us informed of how you are doing.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    At 6 mos out, I still find myself exhausted. It might be worthwhile to have your blood checked, iron, ferritan, B12 specifically... My iron is never high and although not bottomed out completely. I'm tickling the bottom end of normal. Otherwise, rest when you can and learn to use the magic words, "No, thank-you, not today", and just because you agreed you would do something last week on a good day, doesn't mean you can't back-out if it falls on a not so good day! Listen to your body, it knows what it needs!
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    In essence, your body has been run over by a mack truck. The fatigue is going to last several weeks...the good news is that it's temporary!
  • pljohnson001
    Options
    "Run over by a Mack truck" about summed it up yesterday. My thanks for the suggestions about the B12. I revisited the hand-outs from my doctor, and it turns out I needed to take TWO of the sublingual tablets in order to get the vitamins I need (not the one I was taking.) I also scheduled in a nap today, and watched my water intake more closely, and I feel a lot more normal today. Not energetic yet, but at least I'm not falling asleep in the chair. :flowerforyou:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Another thing to be careful of...make sure you are getting in the supplements you are supposed to. I know I am bad about remembering them sometimes. If I skip a day or two with no vitamins I can really feel it. I started tracking them on my daily log to remind myself to take them.
  • pljohnson001
    Options
    Update on my "complete lack of energy" :
    Turns out I was having some upper GI internal bleeding which led to dehydration, so I just spent the last two days in the hospital. I'm sure glad I called my doctor and went in when I wasn't regaining any stamina, They cannot say for sure what caused it, and we may never know, but I suspect it's because I pushed the guidelines and ate some 'scratchy' crackers that weren't on my 'pureed' list and loosened a blot clot. Doctor was NOT pleased, but won't confirm or deny that the crackers caused it. "The guidelines are there for a reason," was his quiote, along with a very stern face and sitff spine.
    At any rate - LESSONS LEARNED:
    1. Eat what my doctor recommends when he recommends it.
    2. Go TO the doctor or call before I'm falling down sick.
    Thanks to all of you who cared.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that you found out what the problem was! Hope you are feeling better soon and take care of you!
  • pljohnson001
    Options
    Thank you! It's so nice to know there are others out there who get it.