I cant resist I'm going geek!!... gizmo advice please

Options
Ok that's it .... Im gonna splurge on some bit of tech cos I'm sick of wondering if I've got my activity level right or using my doubts to justify a little extra here and there.

I want something that I can wear initially daily for about a month to get an idea of my average burns and then once or twice each week to keep rough track. I really want to get an accurate as poss idea of my average daily kcal burn including cardio classes but most of all my in work kcal burn as I'm walking ( lots of short fast paced dashes) between work base, tube stations n clients houses for visits. At the mo I'm not lifting outside pump classes so it doesn't need to be sensitive to this.

Recommendations super appreciate as I don't wanna get another thing which ultimately just increases the ££ total of the other pointless stuff on my shelf of useless diet n exercise books,cd's, potions, mags etc!!!

Replies

• maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia fit and I absolutely love it! It tracks calories burned, steps taken, activity (vigorous and moderate) and sleep efficiency. I have worn mine 24/7 for over a month and I think it is such an amazing resource when trying to solve the puzzle of TDEE ect. Highly recommend it!! If you have any questions, feel free to message me or add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Ultra, cause I really just wanted to get an idea about my TDEE. I didn't want to pay monthly subscription fees, so this was the best option. I really like it. It might not be as accurate as the BMF, but it is doing a great job for my needs.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    After reading a LOT of reviews and going round in circles for a few weeks torn between a Polar HRM, FitBit or BodyMedia Fit (or Ki Fit as it is in the UK) I finally made a decision yesterday on what workout gadet(s) to invest in:

I'm getting an entry level HRM (I'm getting the Polar FT4 - which I'm collecting in store tonight, exciting :D ) to measure my workout burns for when in the gym / cycling / running / weight lifting, etc.

Then, when funds allow in the next month or so I'm going to invest in a FitBit Ultra to monitor my daily burns for general daily activities and sleep monitoring. I'm hoping that with the two combined I should be able to get a reasonably accurate account of my energy expenditure as the HRM will cover what the FitBit can't measure and vice versa.

I decided against the BMF for two main reasons:
    a) It's incredibly expensive in the UK
    b) I didn't want to have to commit to paying the monthly subscription fee

I'll have to report back when I've tried out my purchases :)
  • goldengirl28
    goldengirl28 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well done on your purchases.

I nearly bought a KI Fit (UK) until i read a really bad review on amazon, that put me off

Does anyone in the UK have one, and what do you think about it?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well done on your purchases.

I nearly bought a KI Fit (UK) until i read a really bad review on amazon, that put me off

Does anyone in the UK have one, and what do you think about it?

I read that review too, and it was one reason to not get it. I am more than happy with HRM and FitBit now
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Oh I SOOO glad you both said that. I ended up buying a fitbit last night and think I might get a hrm later in month ( probably from tesco or somewhere cheap!) Was having big worry that I made a false economy/ wrong decision as some places say bmf/ Kai is much more accurate. Like you the cost was the big decider for me
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I live in the netherlands, and i thought the price of the ki fit was crazy compared to the bodymedia fit. Not only the monthly price, but also the price of the device. It is essentially the same software and device. Therefor I bought the bodymedia fit from amazon.com. It is no problem to subscribe if you dont live in the US. And the prices are not stupid. I spend 60 euro (around $75) for it
  • asidebottom
    Options
    Then, when funds allow in the next month or so I'm going to invest in a FitBit Ultra to monitor my daily burns for general daily activities and sleep monitoring. I'm hoping that with the two combined I should be able to get a reasonably accurate account of my energy expenditure as the HRM will cover what the FitBit can't measure and vice versa.

Hiya - not sure if you knew but you can get a Fitbit from Ideal World on flexipay so you pay half one month and half the next. That's how I got mine and I'm delighted with it.

Alison
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. The reason I got it instead of the other is because there is no subscription fee for the general service. But having had it for 3 weeks, I now want to buy the premium membership. It's certainly not necessary but has a lot of comparative info. That being said, the general subscription, which is free, shows your calories burned per day, calories eaten per day, hours asleep, times awakened, and charts for weight. It's great all in itself. I wear it all the time, no one sees it (clipped to bra usually) and I now know my TDEE just from the information I've gotten from it.