Social standards for marriage?

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
I suppose I'm looking for some justification here, as well as opinions.

So, do you feel that a couple should have to be financially stable, own a home and have a stable career before getting married? I see college kids getting married often, I see young people having beautiful weddings thanks to their families. I don't expect many people who get married in their early-mid twenties don't have some help from family as to the costs of a wedding unless they do a small one on a tight budget. Shouldn't love for each other and wants/desires be enough reason to be married?

Replies

• fbmandy55
    Options
    No that I ask, here is my reason:

My boyfriend and I have been discussing marriage, quite often actually and I would say as we aren't 'facebook offcially engaged' no ring yet (though we've already looked and I've given him an idea of what I would wear), we are definitely planning on getting married within the next two years and in pre-planning phase. To his family, I am introduced to people as his fiance'. Since a wedding we attended last weekend, I've caught my boyfriend googling wedding decorations and rings. :laugh:

Anyway, we joined theknot.com for planning. We are both having fun and getting excited just browsing color schemes and getting ideas of venues and will eventually track expenses and checklists there. I introduced myself, my situation on the forum and was bombarded for joining. I have many people sending me messages about being a pushy girlfriend for starting this (though it's a mutual adventure) and was told if we could not yet afford a ring there is no reason we should be thinking about marriage. For us, we already live together, share our expenses, and we both know what we want. All that will be changing for us is that we will be able to have the same last name, call each other husband and wife and be on the same insurance plan. BOTH of our families are anxious for us to get married and are going to be helping out financially with the wedding, so what is the big deal? Why so much much hate about him still being in school and not being 'financially stable' or not being together 'long enough' from strangers and even acquaintances?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Oooo k. So I happen to draw a distinction between being financially stable enough to get married and being financially stable enough for a ceremony. The degrees would vary based on the size of the ceremony, of course.

I think you should make sure that neither are you are in financial trouble before getting married, but that's not quite the same thing as saying that you shouldn't get married until you have a nest egg prepped. Just don't be stupid about it.

The same financial advice I would give applies to pretty much all other situations. When it comes to your ceremony, do what you can afford and don't dig a hole for yourselves. If you have family helping, it sounds like that may be taken care of? All you have to do is not go overboard.

Everyone's opinions about financial stability probably vary, but I don't see a reason for young people who are smart enough to deal with their finances and just don't happen to have had the time it takes to put together a down payment for a house yet, to put off getting married for financial reasons.

Now if one you has credit problems or unmanageable debt, that's a different issue.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Oooo k. So I happen to draw a distinction between being financially stable enough to get married and being financially stable enough for a ceremony. The degrees would vary based on the size of the ceremony, of course.

I think you should make sure that neither are you are in financial trouble before getting married, but that's not quite the same thing as saying that you shouldn't get married until you have a nest egg prepped. Just don't be stupid about it.

The same financial advice I would give applies to pretty much all other situations. When it comes to your ceremony, do what you can afford and don't dig a hole for yourselves. If you have family helping, it sounds like that may be taken care of? All you have to do is not go overboard.

Everyone's opinions about financial stability probably vary, but I don't see a reason for young people who are smart enough to deal with their finances and just don't happen to have had the time it takes to put together a down payment for a house yet, to put off getting married for financial reasons.

Now if one you has credit problems or unmanageable debt, that's a different issue.

We are both virtually debt free. I think we may each have about $1500 dollars or so in medical things we are paying on but that's about it. Our concern isn't the wedding. We have things we are planning on paying for but both parents are very traditional and plan on paying the traditional things...dad most of the wedding, MIL rehearsal, etc... It seems to be more of comments we are getting are the nest egg issue but we already live and pay bills together so I don't see the problem.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think any (adult) has the right to get married to whomever, whenever, and where ever; age, finances, gender, etc., be damned. That said, I'd strongly caution anyone under the age of 30 against getting married. It's not about the finances so much, as growing up first. I do feel qualified to caution, since I've been married since I was 18. It's not easy to go through all the changes that the decade of being in your 20s brings as part of a married couple.

People in their 30s are more likely to be financially stable, but that's not a crucial part of marriage to me. If you're able to get help from your families for the wedding, I don't think it makes much difference. I think it's pretty typical for the bride's parents' to pay, at least a portion, if not all, of the wedding.

One thing I do see a lot of engaged couples doing that I totally admit to judging, is putting more thought and planning into the wedding, than into the marriage.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    We are both virtually debt free. I think we may each have about $1500 dollars or so in medical things we are paying on but that's about it. Our concern isn't the wedding. We have things we are planning on paying for but both parents are very traditional and plan on paying the traditional things...dad most of the wedding, MIL rehearsal, etc... It seems to be more of comments we are getting are the nest egg issue but we already live and pay bills together so I don't see the problem.

I don't really see the problem either. Just for the love of all that is good, stay away from seafoam. No one looks good in seafoam.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

I'd like to add, I know the only reason my dad is willing to pay for much of it is that I am a bargain shopper. :wink:
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I think any (adult) has the right to get married to whomever, whenever, and where ever; age, finances, gender, etc., be damned. That said, I'd strongly caution anyone under the age of 30 against getting married. It's not about the finances so much, as growing up first. I do feel qualified to caution, since I've been married since I was 18. It's not easy to go through all the changes that the decade of being in your 20s brings as part of a married couple.

People in their 30s are more likely to be financially stable, but that's not a crucial part of marriage to me. If you're able to get help from your families for the wedding, I don't think it makes much difference. I think it's pretty typical for the bride's parents' to pay, at least a portion, if not all, of the wedding.

One thing I do see a lot of engaged couples doing that I totally admit to judging, is putting more thought and planning into the wedding, than into the marriage.

I would definitely take that into consideration. But we both lived with significant others by the time we were 18 and have been pretty independent since then as far a s maturity and responsibility goes. Both have been through long term and even turbulent relationships. I already have a 4 year old son. We both feel that we are ready and in the place we want to be for this. In fact, he was joking with me at lunch about how we are such a unique couple, most people don't understand how we can get along so well and have such an easy relationship. We are completely on the same page about what a marriage should be, even our disagreements are simple to solve and few and far between.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't see why people are trying to act like it's such a big deal. I know a LOT of people my age (21) who have recently gotten married. I doubt they paid for it themselves at all. I don't see it as a bad idea to get married at the point you're in. My boyfriend and I have been together almost 5 1/2 years, living together for 2 years. We are pretty much married; share food, bills, gas and car costs.

We're both in school still, but if we happened to have money to spend on a wedding, I would gladly get married.

It's funny how some people are so quick to judge other people's relationships when a lot of people don't even live with each other before they get married. Tell me how THAT is going to go. At least you have that strength.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    I will agree with summertime_girl, though. My husband and I have been together for over 10 years now. I was in my early 20s and he was in his mid 20s when we first started seeing each other. We started wearing rings about 9 months after we started dating.

In retrospect, that was fast. A little too fast. I wouldn't give up the last 10 years with him, but I can't also deny that meeting him now and getting married now would have prevented some drama simply because we're more mature and experienced now than we were then. Your 20s are big development years when it comes to actually being adults, etc. Everyone mileage varies a bit, though.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    Does anyone feel that by parents paying for the wedding, you are somehow spoiled, for a lack of a better word? I always thought that was pretty traditional and common when a family is able. I understand that's not always an option so do those people get more crap?

I know we can't afford the kind of wedding we want without help but we do want to pay for some things on our own. My dress, I want to pay for my bridemaids, gifts for those involved, etc...
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    Does anyone feel that by parents paying for the wedding, you are somehow spoiled, for a lack of a better word? I always thought that was pretty traditional and common when a family is able.

Uh, no. Here's the difference. Parents offering to help with the ceremony is nice and fairly traditional. Kids who turn into brats because they expect their parents to pay for expensive weddings, even though the parents are looking for work to make ends meet, are spoiled.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There will never be an ideal time to get married. Just do it when you feel you are both ready.

I got married at 29 but I was with my wife for 8 years already. I guess we just formalized it which sounds like what you want to do.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If people waited till they were financially stable to get married, most people would never get married. It's like saying you want to wait for the right time to have a child. There's never a "right" time. You're either committed to making it work, or you aren't.

My definition of "financially stable" has more to do with your spending habits than how much you have in the bank. Give me a man who makes little money but manages it responsibly over a man with a 6-figure salary who is always broke because he spends money like it's all going to disappear tomorrow. So I wouldn't hesitate to marry someone who didn't earn a lot of money. I WOULD hesitate to marry someone who made really dumb decisions with money. Big difference.

As for the opinions of others on when to get married ... I find that most people who try to talk you out of it are simply bitter, either because they made a bad decision regarding marriage themselves or because they aren't married yet, and they're jealous. If my family was trying to talk me out of it, I'd seriously consider their opinions because I know they want what is best for me, and they may see a real problem that I'm just not paying any attention to (love is blind and all). But random people on the Internet? No freaking way would I let them even give me doubts about it.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    Those were my standards for getting married.
    I had to be financially stabled, finished with college and working in my field of study before even considering to get married. In fact these were things my parents always instilled in me. My Dad would always tell me that I had to finish college before even considering marriage so sub-consequently, these were things that I knew had to happen before marriage.

I know several people who have married young and are currently on the fast track to divorce if not getting divorced now.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It's traditional for the bride's family to pay for the wedding in toto, so for starters, don't let anyone give you any grief on that front. The current trend for the couple to pay is really down to the increase in the average age, and consequently, typically more established financial status, of people getting married.

It sounds to me like you two are effectively 'married' already - living together, joint finances in regard to rent, bills etc, your son living with the two of you. Assuming you are jointly making logical, sensible decisions about your finances and life choices, I don't see any reason for people to say that your finances/partner still at college etc. are good reasons not to marry yet. As for the time you've been together, only you will know if you're rushing things. To me, it doesn't sound like it, especially as you are looking jointly at your options and working together towards an official engagement. If you were both working in high-powered jobs, with large incomes and investment portfolios, had met last month and decided that your lifestyles 'matched' so you were going to get married next week with a 10-carat diamond and a huge ceremony, I'd be more concerned than in the scenario you described!

By the way, if home-ownership was a criterion for marriage, most of Europe would never marry, as renting is the social norm here! And seconded on the seafoam - I'm a green-eyed blonde, and even I don't look good in seafoam!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, it is nobody's business but yours and your families' (since they are paying for some of it).

I personally can be stubborn about my independence, and I am not big on fancy traditonal weddings. I pay for myself, but my opinion means absolutely zippo when it comes to someone else's choice. You sound like you are working on things with the support of your fiancee and your families, so that's really all that matters. The same rules, cautions, etc that apply now when you are in your early 20s would still apply 10-20 years later, so if you are ready, there is no need to wait.

My only word of "perspective" (I won't say "wisdom, because I'm not that wise): whatever you do, however much you spend or don't spend, make it meaningful. It is easy to become overwhelmed by the details, to feel obligated about following the "template" and turning it into a by-the-numbers affair. Do it for yourselves, not your friends or your families. Too many people say afterwards that they can't even remember what happened, and I think that's unfortunate. In the end, it's about the people--not the dresses, flowers, chicken dance, whatever. Make sure you keep some space for you and your husband to savor the moment. Make it a day that, even 40 or 50 years later, you'll remember with a smile.

And, cut costs if you need to, but don't skimp on the cake.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Does anyone feel that by parents paying for the wedding, you are somehow spoiled, for a lack of a better word? I always thought that was pretty traditional and common when a family is able.

Uh, no. Here's the difference. Parents offering to help with the ceremony is nice and fairly traditional. Kids who turn into brats because they expect their parents to pay for expensive weddings, even though the parents are looking for work to make ends meet, are spoiled.
    Whaaaat? In my culture, it is traditional for the parents, who have had a lot more time to save up money, to help their children, who haven't, to pay for major expenses, including education, wedding, and buying apartments. I'm not sure I know anyone in my age group (mid-20s) who has enough saved up for even a 50-person wedding.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    My wife and I got married at 21. We spent $45 at the courthouse and my grandmother made us a little cake. 24th anniversary coming in November - best friends, still crazy about each other. By any reasonable criteria we should not have gotten married, but we've been very successful and happy. 2 kids - 2 fosters - 2 grandkids.

And about the "Stable - college - career" thing,,, we both went to college after we were married. The financial support and time support and moral support that we gave each other is how we got through it. I went to night school while working, and then she was able to quit work and go full time. We studied together and edited each other's papers and just had a hell of a good time.

We just helped our daughter get married. Our minister, outdoor wedding at the big gazebo in the park, reception at a nice hall I rented for a couple hundred. Self cater sorta turned into a pot luck. Everybody that played an instrument was instructed to learn "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show and we all played that together. Groom's mom made the cake, I brought the booze. It was a wondrous amazing loving party for 20 of our closest friends and family and we spent maybe $1,000. Ok, maybe $1500 with the gown.

This does not have to be expensive. It's not about the wedding anyways. The wedding is just the beginning, and real love stories don't have endings.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
  • fbmandy55
    Options

I'm glad. I feel like my OCD could cause a disaster!!!