primal protein shakes?

Options
I've been experimenting with trying to make protein shakes without milk, to limited success. They don't taste so great made with water and I revert to milk.
Any top tips for more primal friendly versions gratefully received!

Replies

• tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond or coconut milk? I use either one and really like them both.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yes coconut milk is absolutely delicious, full of fat, and is medium chain triglyceride (due to the coconut oil) which will boost your fat-burning power for the day. Protein shakes really kind of go against Paleo/Primal but if you must, choose coconut cream in the can. It can be found in the grocery store, in the asian food section. I usually use the Thai Kitchen brand, full-fat not lite, and the guar gum in it is fine to have on Paleo/Primal.
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    Thank you!
    I had tried using a small amount of coconut milk and some water. Not so nice! I reckoned if I used regular coconut milk - which I absolutely love - the calories would go through the roof. I know this isn't supposed to be a calorie counting exercise but I have to keep an eye to them. Will give more coconut milk a shot tomorrow.
    Almond milk is on my shopping list now...
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I use almond milk or coconut milk, depending on my preference. I make my own protein powder blends at truenutrition.com. What I'm using currently is an egg white/whole egg/stevia mix. I use them to ensure I get food in during crazy days.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I might be too crazy for you but it works for me.

Sometime, I'll use bacon's grease, coconut oil, little salted butter, and variety of berries into a smoothie for the drink. Don't drink too much of berries because they have high # of sugar in it.

I remember one morning, I cooked bacon and I'd decided to pour the bacon's grease into a coconut milk drink. It tasted really good.

Again, I am really crazy.

Today in this morning, I tried to do this: Organic 2 TSP salted butter, and 1 TSP of coconut oil into 12oz of espresso drink. It tasted good but little too much of salt. I'll like to cut to 1 TSP butter. Soon I might try to add bacon's grease into my coffee to see how it taste.

Again I am really crazy bacon beast. Pigs don't like me very much.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Today in this morning, I tried to do this: Organic 2 TSP salted butter, and 1 TSP of coconut oil into 12oz of espresso drink. It tasted good but little too much of salt. I'll like to cut to 1 TSP butter. Soon I might try to add bacon's grease into my coffee to see how it taste.

Again I am really crazy bacon beast. Pigs don't like me very much.

I never thought about using bacon grease in my coffee. That is an interesting thought. If you do try it, let me know how it goes.

I do, however, love me a good tall cup of bulletproof coffee. The big no-no is never to use salted butter though, just thought you might want to know that. Unsalted butter makes it smooth....like butter. :)
  • newsace
    newsace Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some good recipes here: http://primalsmoothies.com/category/recipes/ and here http://www.chowstalker.com/?bwbps_extnav_gal=29&bwbps_q=smoothie (although some of those are links to the same ones at Primal Toad's site)
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I have one recipe that I use all the time (I've probably had a dozen of them this past week):

1 cup almond milk
    1 scoop of unsweetened protein
    1/2 banana
    1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
    4-5 pieces of ice

Blend in magic bullet and you're set! Super tasty.

1/2 Coconut/Almond Milk is probably even better (but coconut is more expensive and we run out more quickly).
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas! I'm gonna get experimenting. Do you know, it hadn't crossed my mind to add bacon grease, but I wouldn't rule it out.
  • DiscoGirl999
    Options
    I'm also gonna bite the bulletproof coffee bullet this week. It doesn't appeal, but gets such good press I have to try.