Favorite Hiking Spots?

Options

Replies

• dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I liked being up on mt. Graham in Safford. It was cold in summer and you can hike the road or on trail. I didn't go very far as I was alone but it would be nice as a group to get into it.

I would so be down with that! I used to take my kids for a hike up there every other weekend or so but only so rough you can get with kids plus its to cold for them now :-(

My bff, NeuroticVirgo lives up there and I like going up there when I visit. It would be pretty cold to go up there this time of year.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I liked being up on mt. Graham in Safford. It was cold in summer and you can hike the road or on trail. I didn't go very far as I was alone but it would be nice as a group to get into it.
    I would so be down with that! I used to take my kids for a hike up there every other weekend or so but only so rough you can get with kids plus its to cold for them now :-(
    My bff, NeuroticVirgo lives up there and I like going up there when I visit. It would be pretty cold to go up there this time of year.
    [/quote]

I think it already has snow *shudder* I'm thinking till summer time Graham Mountain will only be sledding trips, 2 hours in snow tops! (I do not do cold very well :laugh: )
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    ah, first hike of the season today:) Dreamy Draw... was awesomely fun! :) woohoo can't wait for more!

hittin papago tomorrow!

Ronney
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    tried to do camelback yesterday but the echo canyon lot was too full to park :(
  • momtowarren
    Options
    I've only hiked up the road that goes up the back of the west side of CG mountain. I think I was nuts! I like hikes that go up, down and flat for a while... that was just UP!
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hiking Usery in the AM... not the wind cave trail, but other trails around the park:) CAN'T WAIT!!! first hike at usery this season:)
  • mrsway
    mrsway Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are in the Sierra Vista area and love to get out and hike the canyons around here. We regularly get out to Brown Canyon (favorite place for mt bikers too) but I am anxious to get back to Ramsey canyon. Last time I hiked there was around my highest weight and I want to see what it's like now. Also I am an AZ state park ranger, so I will go out on the parks hiking trails a lot too!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It depends on the season.

Locally, in the winter, we'll do the trails in the Tucson mountains (about 5 minutes from home) including the hike around Cat Mountain. Sabino Canyon is great, too. Along with the paved paths there are plenty of "natural" ones there and, of course, the washes which are usually running.

In the summer we'll make the drive up Mt. Lemmon and do the Aspen trail to Marshall Gulch or Mint Springs or any of the others that are all over that area.

My in-laws have a place in Pinetop, so in the summer we'll hike all over that area, too. Most of the hikes are pretty flat, but on the good side, their trail system is really well marked.
  • azscr
    azscr Posts: 8
    Options
    Quick hikes at Pinnacle Peak...getting ready for Mt. Humphrey's next weekend.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like North Mountain because I can get my "not a hiker" type of friends to join me... (It's paved)

Having paved areas seems to be the best way to get people to go, most of the time rocks or dirt is mentioned it seems like some people just drop off the planet all of a sudden. :laugh:
    I am the opposite. I didn't like Tumamoc Hill because it is paved. I am usual all about rules, but when it comes to nature, I like to go "off the beaten path" and get all dirty and scratched up.

Just agreeing with this comment. I'm very excited about new hiking opportunities that await in AZ. Where's the fun in hiking if you're not going up hills or tripping over rocks??
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of hiking on the Arizona Trail in my local area (Tucson). Also I enjoy hiking at Saguaro National Park East. Can't wait for it to cool down some so I can get back to the trails.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the West Fork of Oak Creek Trail in Sedona.
  • bo4lax
    Options
    As the weather cools down it is nice that we have some great local hikes.

If I am with the kiddos I like a place like San Tan Regional Park or The Hieroglyphic Trail(the water at the end is a nice treat)

If I want more of a challenge I like Camelback or Picacho Peak

My favorite is the Peralta Trail that leads to a lookout of Weaver's Needle because that is where I proposed to my wife:love:
  • willowbrooke1
    willowbrooke1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In late Fall, winter, and spring, we love hiking all over the Supes(Superstitions) as we are so close. In the summer, we head up north and hike in and around Lockett Meadow, the Zane Grey Trail, and the Arizona Trail. We also enjoy Aravaipa Canyon as an actual backpacking trip, that place is mind blowing!! It`s like Middle Earth in Arizona, especially in November. I never knew Sycamore trees could get that huge :happy:
  • intend2
    Options
    I LOVE to hike! There is an awesome website - http://alltrails.com/

For everyday hikes I do So Mo.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Went hiking in Saguaro National Park (east) yesterday. It's about 3 miles from my house so it's a great option. The weather was nice!

Also try HikeArizona.com for arizona Hiking forums.
  • littleredouat
    Options
    I just moved here last July :) So far I loved Piestewa Peak (thinking about heading out there again in a week or two) and South Mountain (Pima Canyon Trail, specifically). I've hiked other places, but those have been my favorites so far! I typically go hiking with my family (mom, dad, and sister). My parents like the "easier" trails, so we hit up places like White Tank Mountain's Waterfall Trail. It's still pretty fun and the vistas are awesome — wherever we end up going. :smile:

Typically, I like more of a challenging hike (whether it's because of elevation change, scrambling or the length of the hike).
  • deniseandjelich
    deniseandjelich Posts: 25 Member
    Options

If I am with the kiddos I like a place like San Tan Regional Park or The Hieroglyphic Trail(the water at the end is a nice treat)

My favorite is the Peralta Trail that leads to a lookout of Weaver's Needle because that is where I proposed to my wife:love:

You listed all the Hikes I LOVE in AZ. Picacho and Peralta are by far my favorite! Hieroglyphic is beautiful!! Usery is only a few miles from me, i usually end up there (Pass Mountain Loop).
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

You listed all the Hikes I LOVE in AZ. Picacho and Peralta are by far my favorite! Hieroglyphic is beautiful!! Usery is only a few miles from me, i usually end up there (Pass Mountain Loop).

D, you want to hit up Peralta this weekend?
  • deniseandjelich
    deniseandjelich Posts: 25 Member
    Options

D, you want to hit up Peralta this weekend?

Sure thing!!