Fuel belt suggestions?

Options
EmHorn4
EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
Hi All!

I'm training for my first half marathon in August and have a 7 mile training run coming up on Sunday. It will be my longest run yet - and I get to say that every Sunday up until the HM! lol. That being said, I should probably look into fuel belts/hydration packs since I'll probably be taking about 1.5 hrs to do the slow 7 miles, so I'l definitely need to bring some fluids with me. Does anyone have any suggestions for good ones? I'd also really like to have one with a pouch that I can put my iPhone into since I'm not an armband fan but I do use it on my runs (just carrying it) to listen to music, but eventually I will probably want to stash it for long runs and the Half. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I use a Go-Belt for longer runs, for my phone, keys, ID and a $10 bill. On even longer runs I'll tuck a GU or two in the side loops.

I absolutely despise carrying fluids on a belt, though. Just way uncomfortable for me. I find it is much easier to carry a water bottle in my hand w/ a hand strap*.

BTW: if you live in a hot & humid climate like I deal with down here in Alabama, FREEZE the water bottle. Dont worry, it'll thaw as you run....but the side benefit is that carrying a block of ice in your hand really feels like a heat sink, and helps cool you off. Maybe it's totally a mental thing, I dont know, but I damn sure feel cooler when I run with one.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I use a iFitness belt with a holder for an 8 oz water bottle for runs from 4 to 7 miles. And since I tend to dehydrate easily, during the summer months I run with a Camelback (fanny pack type) for my longer runs.

Both work great for my needs and I'm able to carry some gels or shotbloks, phone, and iPod with me too.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am jumping in here to see the suggestions. I so far have not needed anything - my longest run so far was 8.5 miles (1:36), and I did not need water or anything, but at some point I might. I find it does help to make sure I am super hydrated the day before a long run (I drank at least 88 oz of water the day before my long run), and I ate a homemade fruit and nut bar with chia seeds in it before the run. Worked great!

I did tuck $5 in my sports bra in case I needed to stop at a farm market that is on my route!!! But it was only at 3.5 miles, so definitely didn't need it.
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!! :happy: