What should I pack for my hospital stay :)

Options
gsbanks1
gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
My Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass surgery is scheduled for Aug, 2, but I was just contemplating what to pack for my hospital stay. What items were you thankful for packing and what items did you wish you would have packed? I don’t want to be stuck at the last minute scrambling packing my bag. Thanks :)

Replies

• puttingmyselfoutthere
    puttingmyselfoutthere Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ipod for doing laps
    tablet with netflix & headphones - most hospitals have free wifi
    Your own pillow
    Slippers
    Bathrobe
    Shower stuff
    Chapstick
    Lotion
    Magazines but not books- you won't be reading anything!
    Comfy clothes for when you go home
    Hand Sanitizer
    Good Hair Ties
    Face Wash

If I think of anything else I brought I will post it but I think thats it! Don't bring too much because you won't need it!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Only other things I have to add are:

Slip on shoes
    cell phone for texting and/or calling family and friends (I didn't want to talk to anyone, but I did text some just to let them know how I was doing)
  • J_M1987
    J_M1987 Posts: 32
    Options
    Haha honestly I packed a ton of stuff and didn't use half. My go-to's were:

A pillow from home
    Ipod
    a Puzzle book-- I'm a sudoku and word puzzle nerd
    sandals
    chapstick (you will desperately want this haha)
    comfy clothes--we're talking baggy pants and loose t-shirts
    hair ties/bands/whatever you use
    Cell phone
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I took my own pillow...I hate hospital pillows.
    a small flat pillow to use to brace my belly when I was sitting up or coughing
    very loose fitting pjs ( I am not a fan of hospital gowns)
    slippers
    something to read
    toothpaste
    lip balm
    shampoo and shower soap (that first shower felt soooooo good)
    toothbrush
    mouthwash ( i had breath from hell as soon as I woke up)
    hair scrunchies
    a can of dry shampoo to use until you can get in the shower (its awesome...just srpay it in your hair and brush...instant touch up)
    my cell phone and the charger
    something very loose fitting to wear home. You will be sore and your belly will be swollen...nothing tight
  • MrsCassieThreatt
    MrsCassieThreatt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I brought my computer and watched Netflix for 4 days and had about 4 months of Vogue magazine to look at.. The pillow for coughing or adjusting is a good idea but I had a port on my left side and the other one right in the center so I probably couldn't have used it anyhow. My doc went the distance w/ precautions.

Just don't bring too much you'll regret it when you are trying to get out of there. At one point you are just going to want to go home! ;o)
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Pillow, very loose clothing, books, robe. I didn't really watch anything, just read. I was in a fair amount of discomfort, so I didn't do much else. I thought it was nausea, so they gave me tons of nausea meds and blew out my vein. It was really pain, and I felt so much better after I could drink down some vicodin.

Oh, I used the pillow for the trip home. I had a long ride, so it helped cushion my belly from all the jiggling during the rough ride. A high vehicle is good too -- you don't want to have to crouch down to get into a car. Stepping up into a truck is actually easier, if you have the option.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everyone for the responses. I am thinking I should just bring the bare minimum. The hospital is literally threee minutes from my house, so if necessary anything I forgot at home could just be dropped off. Im so excited I ready to begin the rest of my life :)
  • melisa_schow
    Options
    I packed a full bag of everything I THOUGHT I would need or use... I never opened the bag :)) The hospital supplied everything I would need as in clothing and toiletries... I didn't feel like opening the books I brought, and I was in a private room, so no need for headphones for the tv... and didn't even care that it was on really :) Spent most of my time walking the halls, talking to the staff.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks everyone for the responses. I am thinking I should just bring the bare minimum. The hospital is literally threee minutes from my house, so if necessary anything I forgot at home could just be dropped off. Im so excited I ready to begin the rest of my life :)

You've got the right idea.

I'm not sure how the surgery goes for other people, but for both of mine I was drugged out of my mind most of the time. The PCA pump was my friend. I did laps in the hallway with two nurses and slumped over my IV pole most of the time :P

A hairbrush and hair ties were the number one things I used while I was there! If you have long hair like me, conditioner would be good too. I didn't like the hospital provided shampoo. Also, CHAPSTICK. You will really want that. Oh, and I had someone bring me slippers because I couldn't bend over with my incisions at first to put my socks on/take them off. I can't sleep with socks on, so this was really helpful.

Good luck! Aug 2 is right around the corner!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I only packed a few items to shower, my ipod, phone + charger, and my going home clothes. I spent most of my time sleeping or being dazed from the pain killers for the first two days and just left the TV on sometimes even though I wasn't really watching it. On day 3 I thought I was doing good and tried to listen to a book I had on my ipod but turned out I wasn't ready to focus on anything for that long yet even if I was awake. I guess I've just always packed light.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    They only kept me overnight! Did I get the bum's rush, or was it because my RNY was done laproscopically?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Mine was a lapro RNY, I'm glad they didn't kick me out in a day I seriously might have hurt myself at home. I was up and walking end of day one and mostly getting to the bathroom on my own but I think those were the only two things I was awake for.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can thank my dear mother who came and managed the household, so I could just rest and take my meds. ;)
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    Chapstick, a book, and a my phone.
  • Elizabeth360
    Elizabeth360 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery July 30th. My favorite things in the hospital were:
    1. Ask for glycerin swabs!!!! They are amazing for a dry mouth, especially since you can only drink a little at a time. Get them from your nurse right away after surgery. Trust me.
    2. Crocs. A lot easier than socks, nonslip for walking, something I could slip on and off without bending over. Also, they look a lot less dorky when compared to the hospital gown and IV pole.
    3. Baby wipes. Nice for cleaning up, wiping my face, feeling fresh.
    4. Toothbrush, toothpaste, chapstick, hairbrush, hair ties, deodorant, obviously. You might want to bring those wisps, the little toothbrushes on-the-go that don't require water.
    5. Phone, headphones, and charger. I couldn't make calls or text, but I had some audiobooks loaded that got me through the long boring nights.
    6. A TV guide. What else are you going to do?
    7. A nice pair of underwear. When you can put them on again, it will feel so much better and make those frequent -pull-up-your-gown-and-show-me-you-stomach examinations so much easier. I just used the ones I wore in.
    8. I wish I'd had a handheld fan. The hospital was quite stuffy. Not that I can complain if that was the extent of my discomfort.

I stayed in the hospital gown for the 3 days I was there. They gave me a new one each day. I didn't use the pillow or blanket I brought with me. I was mostly awake but uninterested in books or magazines. Most of my time was spent with the TV trying to drink my liquids.