Newbie - hips, bums and tums - where do I start ?

Options
Hi There,

Ive just given birth to my 2nd baby 3 months ago and have started to work on losing weight....Im trying to get out walking as much as I can but know I need to do some toning and strength excercises too... I need help getting started, any tips please ?????

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hips and bum : post parallel squats and deadlifts are the best since these engage your hips and glutes when done correctly (s well as your core since you need hat to stabilize yourself)... next best is lunges and step ups

for direct core stuff, go with planks and side planks.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Well since you just had new baby (I'm 8 months post baby myself and I'm down 62lbs since!) working out with a new little one can be tough I know. But, the first thing is you wanna make sure your ready all healed up, and always remember this was a 9 month process so give your self time to get in shape or back in shape. So first I would suggest to continue with the walking as much as possible this simple free thing will help tone up you hips, butt, and legs try to do some hill climbing if you can. Next I would suggest you purchase a couple of DVD's( I find that working out at home gives me more freedom with the baby instead of going to the gym and I have got great results) that combine cardio and resistance training in other words total body (you can not spot reduce just one area, period the body does not work like that) doing total body with big compound movements is great for women think about doing things like a squat with an overhead shoulder press, a side lunge with a triceps kickback etc.... Try www.collagevideo.com they have thousands of DVD's that can help you accomplish your goals! Some I would suggest is my favorite number one is the Firm they have great videos you do some heart pumping cardio and then lift some weights if you go to their website you might still be able to order a system they had with a thing called the Fanny lifter it's a step they use and OMG!! my thighs and butt never looked better! Mentioning step, Step workout's are great you tone and burn fat at the same time Cathe is great but, her step workout's can be tough also Kelly Coffee kickboxing step is really good. Also Jillan Micheals 30 Day Shred is a good place to start 3 20 minute workout's that get harder at each level once again it's total body with big compound movements and cardio. Hope that helps good luck, remember the more muscle you have the more fat you burn lift weights to loose weight!!!! P>S> your belly will tone up as you burn fat don't even think about doing hundreds of crunches just do a variety of exercises and it will tone up as you go!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hi. Do you have any weights at home? Squats-body weight, front, back, split, Bulgarian split, rear foot elevated are great for the lower body! Also lunges-front , side, reverse with only your body or loaded. Deadlifts-all variations-are great! Hip thrusts, bridges-single leg, with feet on swiss ball, back elevated, feet elevated. Step ups are great too! For the mid section-planks, anti rotational presses, chops, side planks, push ups.
  • Carlakosh
    Carlakosh Posts: 9
    Options
    isisTriple2 - Thank you so much for your reply....funnily enough I have just order Jillians 30 Day shred and picked myself up some weights....so I will give that a try along with the walking....I'll keep you posted on how I get on...Well Done on your weight loss,,, it is amazing - you are an inspiration!!!!!
  • tigger33067
    tigger33067 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello & congrats on the newest member of your family. Getting yourself motivated & just doing something is the first step in the right direction. Lunges, squats, step, kickboxing & zumba are all great workouts to get your lower half toned. But no matter how often you work out, they will not be most effective if you don't start your workout in the kitchen. Veggies, fruits, protein & some dairy will do more for your weight lose then just working out. However often & when you eat will also effect your workout progress, so set down & write out your favorite meals & go from there. Good Luck
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    isisTriple2 - Thank you so much for your reply....funnily enough I have just order Jillians 30 Day shred and picked myself up some weights....so I will give that a try along with the walking....I'll keep you posted on how I get on...Well Done on your weight loss,,, it is amazing - you are an inspiration!!!!!

Hi Carla you welcome so much and thank you as well! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can continue to encourage and support each other!!
  • Carlakosh
    Options
    Hiya - Got my 30 Day Shred DVD to start tonight....can't wait to get started....what do you log it as on your exercise diary???? Circuit training?? My hubby away for the next 2 weeks so really want to push myself to do it each night so he can see a difference in me when he returns, however small.
    Thanks
  • Carlakosh
    Options
    Totally hear you.... definately been eating more salads and fruit since I started and drinking, drinking water as much as I can....feel better already...plus seeing my eldest son trying new fruits because he see's me eating it makes it all the better.......... Thanks for the advise and support...really appreciated. Starting my 30 Day Shred workouts tonight....I hope I can move in the morning!!!!