Decaf coffee after gastric bypass?

Options
pal00ga
pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
Hi everyone. I am just about to hit 2 months post-op gastric bypass. My surgeon told me to stay away from caffeine because it can irritate and worsen ulcers in the stomach as well as dehydrate you, so I know regular coffee is off limits, but I was wondering if decaf was ok. I just miss the taste of coffee and I've found mixed responses online. I was wondering if any of you drink decaf and how soon after surgery did you? Some people I've heard have decaf coffee on their list of liquids after surgery and are even offered coffee at the hospital, but I wanted more input. I thought it would be a good way to spice up a protein shake as my favorite drink before surgery was iced coffee. Any advice?

Replies

• ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I'm on the tail end of my approval process and I was told NO coffee by the doctors and nutritionist because its the acid of the coffee that can harm your new pouch during that first year---giving up soda and coffee have been brutal for me.

Ruby
  • jlynn473
    jlynn473 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think this is a matter of opinion on the place that you had your surgery. I was able to have decaf coffee when I began my pureed diet - about 10 days after I the surgery. I too missed the taste of coffee, and began drinking decaf about three weeks after my surgery.

But like I said, I think it all depends on who and where you had your surgery with.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    I haven't drank soda in 5 years. I've just never been a big fan of carbonated drinks. But MAN do I love a good iced coffee. My surgeon tells us to always stay away from caffeine, but after e-mailing him, he said I could try adding decaf back in to my diet after 6 months. So I have to wait another 4 months, but that's totally fine. I have a hard enough time getting in enough water as it is right now, I should continue to focus on only drinking that :)
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I do have it occasionally and havent had any issues. I think maybe if I was a frequent coffee drinker I can see where it might irritate my pouch, but so far so good. I do use Click coffee protein powder sometimes when I make a shake. Today I made a shake with `1 scoop of Click and 1 scoop of chocolate powder...some high protein fat free lactose free milk, some SF torani chocolate syrup and a few ice cubes later and it was a party in a glass! Yummy :) I think you can get Click in decaff now also and I am going to get some of that next time I order :)
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist also said the 'acid' in coffee is harmful to the new stomach. She said caffeine should be avoided in all drinks, but decaf beverages, like tea are recommended. I drink 64oz of green tea a day - to keep my sluggish metabolism pumping! Long story short - de-caff shouldn't hurt your fragile stomach lining, but any type of coffee can. Good luck.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Oh Yes! I've looked at CLICK and wanted to try some forever ago, but it has espresso in it, so I thought it would have the same acid problems regular coffee has.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was told I could have coffee after a month.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes! I've looked at CLICK and wanted to try some forever ago, but it has espresso in it, so I thought it would have the same acid problems regular coffee has.

Maybe I have been lucky...but it hasnt bothered me at all...and I have a Click shake at least a couple of times a week. You can get it in decaff now.
  • starrgazerlily
    starrgazerlily Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Click is now available in decaf!! Its yummy and I love it!!
  • Mgray1024
    Mgray1024 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 months out and I've been drinking decaf coffee everyday for probably the last 4-5 weeks. The one thing I hate about it though is the added calories in the creamer! I wasn't a coffee drinker before but after surgery I only drank water...The coffee is a nice change...I also drink decaf tea mixed with Splenda :)
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. Since my surgeon recently told me to wait til I'm 6 months out and I have so much trouble getting in enough water each day right now, I'm going to focus more on that and wait another 4 months before trying coffee. And I'll definitely be buying some CLICK then :)
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was told (my GB was in Feb) no caffeine for the first few months mostly to reduce the chance of dehydration. I could have decaf, but to break the sugar craving I was not allowed creamers and had to have it black! YUCK to me, so I avoided. At 2 months out I got to have limited dairy and added the caffeine back. One thing my doc did say: Every cup of caffeine means one more cup of water to replace the fluid lost to drinking a diuretic.