Exercise

Options
What do you guys do?

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think the exercise question is going to get a very different response from everyone. Some people with MS have no problems getting a lot of exercise. Some of us do marathons, I know one gent on here, who has MS, and is doing the ironman. Some people with MS have a really strenuous day just getting up and functioning.

For myself, when I'm feeling good I love to walk. I was up to 15 kms a day at one point and then my balance and vision went wild. Right now with work being so busy I never seem to find the time for even a half hour walk. Yes......I know I promised to walk for 30 mins every day at lunch
    but I've been spending my work days at client's offices lately.. I do take stairs every chance I get, and I always park at least 3 blocks from where I'm going so I have to walk.

I was thinking of taking yoga but the classes at home start at 8 pm. I usually hit exhausted by 8:30 and am sound asleep by 9. I do some floor exercises too.

What do you do?
  • reedee94
    reedee94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who find it a problem doing exercise. I have full use of my legs and arms but suffer real bad from ms fatigue. My problem is judging just what I can manage to do without setting off the fatigue which renders me useless. However I know that I must keep moving while I can . I do an hours exercise with an MS group and go swimming with a friend. I can manage to swim 20 lengths (500 metres) any more is too much. If I stop at this point and rest I am able to do something else like food shopping later or next day. If I push on and do any extra lengths I pay for it all week. I went on a fatigue management course which was very useful and taught me different strategies to deal with life. It is a learning curve getting to grips with this condition but as they say you cant fail until you give up trying. I dont intend to fail so keep on trying different things. What do you find achievable?
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been pushing myself, but I do slown down when symptoms seem to flare. I exersice at least an hour every day. I usually do between 40-50 mins on the treadmill and 15-25 mins on the stationary bike and have just added strength training recently. On days when I'm just not feeling up to it, I still go to the gym but walk and ride at a much slower leisurely pace instead and cut off a few mins of time on each. Any exercise is better than none! I really want to do the elliptical but my left leg wont cooperate, it is so much weaker than my right one so I attempt a few mins here and there. I'm hoping that the strength training will help me gain strength on my weaker right side. Fatigue has never been an issue for me, but one thing that does affect me terribly is the heat, so I have to drink tons of cold water and exercise in the AC if possible.
    Swimming is a great idea for people with MS, but I no longer have a pool and going to the Y is not really an option right now.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    During the work week, I try to walk for 45 minutes on my lunch break.

I also workout to dvd's 6 days a week...sometimes 7 depending on how I am feeling.

I really enjoy Tae Bo...it's hard but I feel great when I'm done. I also like Chris Freytag's 10 lb extreme slimdown and I like Jeannette Jenkins cardio sculpt. So I do try to mix it up.

I enjoy kick boxing a lot. I hike on weekends sometimes.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I run, lift heavy, and do other cardio like Zumba and the elliptical machine. Lately I've been scaling back on the weight training because I've been having a hard time recovering while eating at a deficit, and I'm now walking every day.
  • goncountry
    goncountry Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take medication for fatigue? I agree, the fatigue is rough!
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    I swim freestyle and do water aerobics with a gentle arthritis aerobics class in the water. It's great! It's finally nice here to swim in the pool and the lake so I try and do more of the outdoors swimming that I can get in during the warm months. I also hike some trails, but that's more of a spring fall thing for me due to over heating. Winter is when I do more of the water therapy and aerobics although I do incorporate the into my outdoor swims. I also have an elliptical that I use. The MS society helped pay for some of the expense (long process but worth it) with the elliptical since it is considered low impact. I have a rough time these days using it, but I know there will be other days that I will feel like jumping back on again. I try very hard not to "exercise" but to do active activities that I truly do enjoy. That said I have been saving up for my very own heated all year around pool. Someday :)
  • lessofme65
    lessofme65 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do alot of Leslie Sansone walking dvds. Anywhere from 1 - 5 miles, total body workout. Since I got diagnosed walking has always been a big deal to me since when I first came home from the hospital I could barely walk without a cane. I really enjoy the dvds and feel very accompllished when i complete them.
  • pbecraft
    pbecraft Posts: 17
    Options
    My MS has affected my balance, bottom of my feet are numb, and when I get heated I can end up with cement legs:sad: . So when I started exercising regularly a year ago I did seated elliptical and bikes (stationary). But this summer I started water aerobics, huge help since the water keeps me from overheating. Within the last two weeks I began using a heart monitor when working out and have graduated to the standing elliptical. It has taken time but it is paying off. I am on the hunt now for Tai Chi. :flowerforyou:
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Does anyone take medication for fatigue? I agree, the fatigue is rough!

I do not have issues with fatigue, I sometimes wish I did. I have terrible insomnia and when I do try to sleep I get the muscle twitches, muscle spasms, creepy crawlys, pins and needles so I have a tough time relaxing and sleeping.
    But I do have several friends with MS that take Provigil or Amantadine for fatigue, they say it works good for them.
  • saturn03
    Options
    I try and walk 45 mins everyother day. I also try and do Zumba when I can.
  • Jane61849
    Jane61849 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I look at my treadmill.

Lately by the time I get home, walk the dog, make dinner and help the hubby, I'm spent.

My best time of day is around 10 am when I'm at my desk.

Gotta start at least using the treadmill on the weekends :-)

I'm in South Florida, and the heat is crazy right now. To get to my office, we have to take the outdoor stairs, and I'm tired just walking into work after doing that with the heat and humidity.
    (I do have quite a bit of weight to lose)
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    this may seem strange but i am very active at work. I stand/walk all day can lift over 50 lbs over and over ( it can be very physical) i have had MS now for 20 years. I took this job knowing it was very physical however, now on top of having the issues of MS i am having carpal tunnel issues (life rocks!) On my days off i am just spent. Any ideas to help me get moving? I talk to my drs their idea is to push more meds, I say no. I only take B12 and avonex for the MS.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I walk an hour at least three nights a week, I coach cheer leading two nights a week, and we have games one or two days a week. I have an active job that keeps me on my feet for eight hours. I can not do morning work outs,I am useless in the morning and my routine is not as vigorous if I go early. I have at least one rest day were I will sleep till ten or eleven to catch up.

I suffer from fatigue but as long as I am listening to my body and adjusting accordingly I have been managing it pretty well. It is much better since I was dx because I understand it now and no longer try to push through. I take a break when my body tells me too.

I have been in an upswing lately so I have been taking advantage of it while I can :happy:

I like having friends on here with MS who understand so if your looking for more friends please add me! I am upbeat and positive and try to encourage people, I don't judge or make people feel bad if they slip up, you will only get positive support and understanding from me.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    this may seem strange but i am very active at work. I stand/walk all day can lift over 50 lbs over and over ( it can be very physical) i have had MS now for 20 years. I took this job knowing it was very physical however, now on top of having the issues of MS i am having carpal tunnel issues (life rocks!) On my days off i am just spent. Any ideas to help me get moving? I talk to my drs their idea is to push more meds, I say no. I only take B12 and avonex for the MS.

Are you sure it's carpal tunnel? The docs all thought I had that for years but the nerve conductivity tests all came back negative. I have since discovered the there are lesions on my spine that probably caused the loss of strength and pain in my wrists. I did wear a wrist brace for many years - it was custom fitted at a home health store and made of metal braces with padding and velcro straps. I allowed me to continue with basic work - no heavy lifting.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Options

Are you sure it's carpal tunnel? The docs all thought I had that for years but the nerve conductivity tests all came back negative. I have since discovered the there are lesions on my spine that probably caused the loss of strength and pain in my wrists. I did wear a wrist brace for many years - it was custom fitted at a home health store and made of metal braces with padding and velcro straps. I allowed me to continue with basic work - no heavy lifting.
  • Bbwnomore2
    Options
    ok to tired to figure this out tonight , @ benji the nerve test showed severe on my right and nothing on my left, yet both hands feel the same , only difference is my right feels like shocks of electricity thru it ALOT
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike, walking, do stomach crunches, leg lifts using my stretch bands, rowing and light weight lifting. I was thinking of getting some kettle bells. Was wondering if anyone uses them? I've tried exercises using small free weights instead but find it hard to grip and hold them when swinging them around.

When the weather is nice, since I've gotten my balance back, I'll ride my bike around town on our bike/walking path. Its a couple of miles end to end and then back. I've never traveled the entire length. I get on the path half way since my house is at the half way point and go to the farthest end and then back.
  • CAlexRose
    CAlexRose Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use stationary equipment at the gym such as spinning bikes and the treadmill. I also do heavy weight lifting with free weights, carefully - that really helps my balance. I walk whenever I can too.

I work out about 5 days a week.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do mostly walking, or aerobics but in small 15 to 30 minutes bursts. Walking I can do 2 to 3 miles without problems. If I get too hot, I start a downward spiral from there so I tend to do things that get the heart rate up but that don't create a lot of profuse sweating. I do light weight lifting to tone, but also keep the reps low with those as well. I take it easy and focus on a calorie deficit to do most of the work for me.