W5D3

Options
buckeyegirl0103
buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
Well, after about a week off, for different reasons, I decided to go ahead and just get W5D3 done without repeating W5 again. I figured if I couldn't do the 20 min run, I would just do what I could and try again Thursday. Well, I did it....all of it......without stopping! YAY ME!! The new shoes are awesome and my leg didn't hurt nearly as bad. Its tight now and I will work it out with the foam roller when I get home. But, the important thing is I did it and did all of it!! I never would have thought during W1 I would be able to run 20 min without stopping! Bring on W6!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeay! Congratulations! That's AWESOME being able to do it after taking a week off!! You totally got this! :)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Awesome! It's the greatest feeling finishing that long run.
    I'm starting w6d1 today.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That is great! It is amazing what a gradual build up this program is. 5 weeks and you are running non stop for 20 minutes. I did W5D2 this morning, so looking forward to my 20 minute run in two days. :flowerforyou:
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt this today. I hope I can do it without stopping. I plan on running a steady pace, not trying to go too fast. I think that is the key
  • newhabit
    Options
    Did it! i had to take a short like 15 second break from the 20 minutes of running but I made it through and it was great! I'm down to 34:30 for the full 5k and that's with 22:30 running and 12:00 walking.. I admit when the "cool down" occurs i only walk for 2.5 minutes and run the other 2.5 because i always want to get a full 5k in there when i do it.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Way to go! I always walk extra to get in 3 miles every time....thats even after the 5 min cool down.....
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I'm so jealous of you guys that have already finished it! d: My W5D3 will be next Tuesday and I'm terrified! But also equally excited. I want to get it over with just to prove to myself that I can do it!

Great job to you both!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 this morning. I had planned to walk uphill on the warm up and the rest of the route was going to be relatively flat and downhill, just to make sure I didn't bail half way through the run. However, midway through, a rain storm blew in and I decided to change my route and ended up doing the last 5 minutes up a very gradual sloped hill. I almost stopped when the nice British lady piped in and told me that I was on my last minute of running. I pushed through and even ran an extra 5 minutes back down the hill in the rain, to my car. Mission accomplished.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I ran my W5D3 earlier this week. Was not as difficult as I imagined it to be. Just ran at a pace that I could sustain for a 20 minute period without getting fatigued or out of breath.

I tried running W6d1 the next day since it has 5/8 min. running segments. Simple right? A mistake..Didn't get through the whole planned run. Had to run/walk my own lengths. My body was stiff after the 20 min run. The following day I was able to complete W6d1! I took the next day off. I then reran W6d1 after the day off and I was running at a noticably faster pace than before the 20 min (W5d3) run! My stride was slighlty longer and I covered another half a lap on the track during the run! :happy:
  • newhabit
    Options
    I will be doing Week 6 day 1 on Sunday. Giving myselt today and tomorrow to rest up. I may do pilates tonight but Saturday will be a rest day before I tackle week 6. What I like to do is do the runs every other day. Helps!
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did my w5d3 this morning. Felt good. Was a little disappointed that at minute 15 had to slow from 6 to 5.5 on the treadmill. Was able to finish off the last 2.5b minutes back at 6. Will try it again on Sunday as a boost.

I find that the Podrunner podcasts really help me manage the time and just zone out so the time goes quickly. I am not a techno kind of guy but my regular Willie Nelson isn't going to sustain me for twenty minutes of pavement pounding!