Front Squat Push Press - How Heavy?

Options
Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
I did my 3rd workout of 2A yesterday, and was not able to complete 2 full sets of the FSPP with only 55 lbs. I feel so wimpy! Am I expecting too much here? How much can you load up for this lift?

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You load as much as you can overhead press. If you push press the bar it will be a little bit more than military pressing. But def. much lower than front squat weight- at least for me. :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I had to drop way down from my back squat weight for these too. I think at the end of stage 1, I could back squat 75-80 lb., and in Stage 2, I tried the 45 lb. bar for FSPP, and that was too heavy, so I had to drop down to 35 lb., even though at the end of Stage 1, I was overhead pressing 40 lb. At the end of stage 2, I could get through some of my reps with the 45 lb. bar, but not all of them.

I really think for Stage 4, I'm going to break up FSPP into a back squat with a separate overhead press.
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    55lbs is good! I'm in Stage 4 and you do this again and I started with 60 lbs and I struggle to get that last press up.

I'm not an expert but I think if you break it up you will lose the intention of the exercise. Maybe someone with a fitness background could explain it.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I was expecting too much. Our gym doesn't have any 35 lb bars, so I had to start with 45 lbs, and I was getting frustrated that I couldn't progress from there. I think I will do 55 for the last workout too.

The other one that really surprises me is the split squat. I can squat 100, so I figured I would be able to do around 50 on the split squat. Ummm... no. I just finished workout 3, and I got to 22.5 lbs.