Have you visited Yogaville?

Options
shmiracles
shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
just wondering if anyone else using MFP has visited Yogaville in Virginia.
i visited once and haven't stopped thinking about going back ever since.

if not, have you taken any other type of yoga centered vacations or trips? i'd love to hear about it!

Replies

• MariaFlippen
    MariaFlippen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can you share about your experience at Yogaville? I live in VA and have heard about it a few times and would love to know how fabulous it is so I can put it on my "list!" :)
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    no but what is it like?

The Wanderlust Festival is coming to my neck of the woods & it looks really intriguing! A surf n' yoga trip is definitely on my list but I haven't taken a yoga specific vacation.....yet:)
  • shmiracles
    Options
    i visited Yogaville for an anti-anxiety workshop, which i really enjoyed! but next time i would just go on my own schedule and make my own plan. i do recommend going your first time for a retreat or workshop if you see one that interests you. the structure was nice and it helped me interact with and meet new people.

i don't wanna hype it up too much, or grow expectations too high. it's a bare bones kind of place. it's definitely not a resort and there's nothing luxury about it. hah in fact the place has a pretty stark appearance overall.

i camped out on their tent platforms, but mostly people stay in the dorms or private rooms. i love camping alone.

everyday at about 5:30 am they have a morning meditation (2 different classes for beginners& for the more experienced) and then after that they have a hatha yoga class (again 2 levels). they teach a very traditional hatha class, with all types and ages of people in it, and very thoughtful teachers. it's not a sweat-a-lot-and-push-yourself type of class. it's a celebrate-having-a-body-and-how-awesome-that-is-so-lets-fill-it-with-energy kind of class.

there are 2 yoga classes a day, 3 meditations a day, and 3 awesome vegetarian meals a day. i say vegetarian but really i ate vegan the whole time because they make everything vegan. but there is also regular cheese and milk and yogurt around next to the earth balance and soymilk if you want it. i have to say the meals were so nurturing and delicious it kinda blew my mind. (also, since this is a fitness sight, i will say that i feel like i over ate at every single meal while i was there, yet when i got back to town i had actually lost 3 lbs.) (stress is the diet killer!! hehehe)

they have readings from teachers during the first half of lunch every day and i think that was one of my favorite parts weirdly enough.

there was a traditional ceremony on saturday evening that i enjoyed, and a movie night later too. i really enjoyed the readings from books and yogi talks. i am not religious at all. but i do tend to appreciate philosophical thinking and questioning myself and the whole general idea of being here on earth, so i personally find the readings very inspiring and meaningful.

there are some great hiking paths that run through and around the complex as well, and i ran a few miles while i was there so i could keep up with my marathon training.

i hope to do a silent retreat once summer is over. basically visiting yogaville was exactly my kind of vacation. no tanning or sugary cocktails. just lots of camping and vegan food and reading my kindle and walks in the woods. if you live nearby i highly recommend visiting. even if it's just for 3 days. also come pick me up on your way! (jk!)

That Wanderlust Festival looks pretty intense! whew!
  • shmiracles
    Options
    wow that post didn't look that long when i was typing it
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Ooo - thanks for replying with your experience, shmiracles.

We may be moving to VA next year, and I had read some articles about Yogaville and am thinking I may visit if we do end up in VA.
  • MariaFlippen
    MariaFlippen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Shmiracles, THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was so incredibly helpful and now I am so so so interested in going! I really appreciate you writing out that nice, long post ;)! On my way to get more details about upcoming workshops!