City to Surf 2012

Options
Petefry1
Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
Less than 5 weeks to this year's City to Surf. Are there many people on MFP planning to run it? I am, with a small work group. Last Sunday I pushed my run out to 11.4ks (3x a 3.8k course), and will push that out to 4 laps (15.2ks) in a couple of weeks. Try to run 2 lunchtimes at work (about 40 mins each), 2 laps (7.6ks) Sat and the long run on Sun. In green group this year after posting 70.07 last year, and hoping to break 70 mins this year to make it into the red group next year. I try to beat 5 min ks on average over a run.

Replies

• Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Perth City to Surf which is end of August. I was just going to walk the 12km course but have been pressured into running some of it by my work colleagues so I started the c25k 3 weeks ago. Hopefully I will be able run at least half of it. Slightly panicing about it all but it is good to have a goal to work towards.
  • Petefry1
    Options
    I didn't know there was one in Perth and was talking about the Sydney one. Good luck with the Perth one. If this is your first then to walk run it is a good idea. They're fantastic events with an amazing atmosphere. My work colleagues are catching up for lunch afterwards and hopefully our families will come in as well, so should be a great day!
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Sydney one with a friend, initially we were going to walk it, but I have since completed my first fun run which was 12kms & I managed to jog all but 300mtrs (was stoked with that). So we will probably jog/walk, not sure how I'll go with the hills but hey we'll never know if we don't try!!
  • Petefry1
    Options
    You've already nearly run 12ks so only another 2 to go. Even if you walked up Heartbreak Hill ( which finishes at 7ks) then took each of the subsequent hills as they came. It's a great event which I'm sure you'll really enjoy however you get to Bondi!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thats funny - the Perth C2S has a heartbreak hill as well. Another training session under my belt.
    My work pays for entry fee and provides a t-shirt along with a hospitality tent at the end. It is funny as my partner also is doing the c2S and has done even less training then me and plans to run it all (we shall see). At the time of signing up it was for a laugh as we were going to compare each's others work provided corporate hospitality to determine who in fact works for the better company.
  • Petefry1
    Options
    That is funny. My work paid for our entries this year. I organised work singlets last year - think we're using the same this year. But the mention of a corporate marquee at the end was too much for them! Had a bad week - my first weekday lunch run was today, but will hopefully train both days on weekend, including up to 11ks on Sunday.
  • tothf88
    tothf88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the City2Surf for the second time this year!
    Last year I had a jogging buddy but now she is pregnant so I'm doing a solo run!!

I hope to get motivated from this group!!! I did the run in 1hr 20 mins last year - I've not been training as much this year so I'm hoping to achieve the same or try to do it in at 1hr 10min:)

Anyone keen for regular bay run (2 laps) on Sunday mornings to train together???
  • Petefry1
    Options
    Good luck for this year. As extra motivation do you know that if you post a sub 70 minute C2S you qualify for the red group next year. I'm in green this year and hoping for sub 70.
    I do my long training at home Sun morning so can't join you on afraid.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C2S for the first time this year... my previous longest run (as in organised run) was 5km so 14km is going to be interesting. I've been doing about 11km at the gym (with some inclines to prepare me for Heartbreak Hill) but my times are going to be very slow. I'm only 4'8 so my little legs don't go too fast... I'll be happy just to finish the run in all honesty.

Good luck to everyone :)
  • tothf88
    tothf88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ohhh wow I didn't know that!
    I was going to be in the green group initially but a friend wanted to join me so I joined the blue group instead...but he ended up bailing anyway! grrrr
    gee that's my aim then getting under 70 minutes!!!

Time to up my training!!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Sydney City to Surf. I am flying up from Melbourne to do it with some others. I am going to run with my sister in law at her pace, so will be a bit slower than I think I would be on my own, but I don't mind! Weather isn't looking good.