I'm hypo

Options
AmyFett
AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
I was undiagnosed for over 4 years. I only know this because I got blood work done to test for it before I got pregnant with my first daughter who's now almost 3 1/2. I went in 6-7 months ago because I was sick and tired of being fatigued and fat! I was trying to lose weight, busting my butt eating less and healthier, and working out every day for 2+ months and I ended up gaining a pound. They ordered more blood work, what do you know? I'm hypo. Certainly explains a lot.

I'm on levothyroxine now, but I don't feel it's helping me. I'm still constantly fatigued, and having no luck with my new attempt at losing weight, granted this time, it's been 2 weeks, so I'm not getting myself too discouraged about this time yet. I'm in this for the long haul, I can't be fat anymore.

I'm looking to make some new friends who also deal with this day-to-day, I'd like to see what works for you, because not much is working for me, I don't know what else to do.

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:
    Sure hope you start feeling better soon. There is so much great info on this site, I'd recommend you read through the treads. We post about what helps with wt. loss & feeling better a lot!
    Sorry, I'm a bit tired, so I'll have to leave you to it.
  • kellykenoyer
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group and was diagnosed a few months ago as hypo. I am also struggling with fatigue and weight. My doctor said I'd lose weight really soon once I started synthroid and I've only gained weight. I'm down to 900 cal a day and exercising to be able to lose weight and I'm flat out exhausted.

Maybe we can muddle through this a bit together, I wouldn't mind having a friend at my side.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Check out stopthethyroidmadness.com, very informative and a lot of veteran Mfp-ers in this forum recommend it. This is a great group with a lot of support and knowledge to offer. I am also hypoT and working to get it under control. I think you will find that you are definitely not alone in your struggles! Feel free to add me if you like. Welcome!!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to the group and was diagnosed a few months ago as hypo. I am also struggling with fatigue and weight. My doctor said I'd lose weight really soon once I started synthroid and I've only gained weight. I'm down to 900 cal a day and exercising to be able to lose weight and I'm flat out exhausted.

Maybe we can muddle through this a bit together, I wouldn't mind having a friend at my side.

What type of "diet" are you on?? I wasn't losing at all but I switched to low carb (recommended by endo) and then I upped (yes, you read that right) my calories and managed to start losing again. HypoT people are very sensitive to changes in their bodies and go into starvation mode easily. 900 calories is not enough calories to get proper nutrition. I know it's frustrating to eat right and not lose. There is a lot of great info within this forum. Good luck!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm just counting calories and exercising my butt off lately. Low carb isn't really logical for me. I'm not a huge meat fan and I hear that's a lot of what you eat.
  • thinteacher
    Options
    I would like friends also who are struggling with this condition as I am too. I'm very discouraged at this point and just want to be able to lose some weight like normal people do. Am I going to be heavy the rest of my life? :sad:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    When did you start the levothyroxine? Took a few months before I noticed any difference. Then, one day, I felt like I had woken up from a long term brain fog.

I've been lucky because I'm pretty stable. I still have hypo issues, but my levels are constant and I've been able to lose. What worked for me is patience, pure and simple. I refuse to allow myself to make expectations of how quickly I'll lose how much weight. I've been pretty good about following the MFP calorie guidelines, but not so good about exercising. I recommend buying extra measuring cups and a food scale, if you don't already have one. Portions have always been my biggest issue- who would have thunk a serving of mac and cheese is only 1/2 cup? Anyway, I measure everything now - by weight if at all possible - and I try to eat better.

I do not follow any special "diet", but eat what I want. Which means if I really want a cookie, I have it. But, I don't have the cookie just because it's there. I try to think about each and every bite. Because what I put in my mouth is my choice, and I make myself accountable. And, it's easier now that I've seen where the accountability leads. It's not just the weight loss. My skin is clearer than it's ever been. Crossing my legs no longer makes a "table", and it's actually comfortable to sit that way! Plus, I have more energy, which makes me want to move more.

But, one thing I've learned is that my approach won't work for everyone. Some people need a more regimented food plan, or find they need to stay away from carbs. Others have to exercise regularly to see results. I've learned that everyone has to experiment a little to find what does work for them. Which goes back to patience. Look at this as a long term goal of being as healthy as you can be. Try something to lose the weight and if it doesn't start working over the course of a few months, try something else. But, be patient and give it time and don't compare your results to anyone else's. We're all different, but we can all get there.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Remember it takes time to find the right dosage. I got checked after 3 months of being on it to see what levothyroxin was doing to my levels and if I needed to increase the dosage or decrease it.

At this point in time, the medication isn't giving me the boost I felt in the beginning. I lost 30 lbs pretty quickly but now I'm at a stand still and get fatigued easily. I feel like this will be a life long process. Good luck and remember what works for someone else may not work for you. Just work through it and you'll get there! :)
  • brianafaye2
    brianafaye2 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i went through the same thing. i used to be 132 at my regular weight. over 5 yrs i went up to 190! i tried working out everyday and eating healthy like you, but nothing worked. i eventually went to the doctor about my weight gain, thinking it was my birthcontrol, but i got my blodd tests done and found out i have hypothyroidism. i got on levothroxine, and i got down to 178.5 without doing anything. now im at a stand still and im am starting to workout alot and eat healthier so i can see if i can drop these unwanted lbs. ill let u know how it works! add me if u want :)
  • DBr5
    DBr5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Do not be discouraged. I went undiagnosed for a few years (when the weight went on quickly) and then had too low dose for few years so struggled to lose any weight. It took about 6 months or so but a new Dr testing me every 2-3 months until the dose was right. It was another few months until I felt like a "normal" person again and had the energy to exercise. Since then its been much better, I lost initially about 12 lbs in 5 months but then found MFP and since May have been exercising nearly every day (some days just a warm up and stretching) and staying between 1200-1500 cals intake (I am female) and have lost 17lbs since start May at constant rate. I expect to be my goal weight sometime later this year. You still have to put in some hard work to watch what you eat and exercise but this by far has been the best way I have found to lose weight in years. Keep going.
    DB
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    my doctor added cytomel and I have a lot more energy. I take it in the A.M. and at noon. She reduced my synthroid when she added the cytomel. This gives you more of the thyroid hormones. Talk with your doctor and explore this option.
  • debhhi
    debhhi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just diagnosed but the dr felt in started in 2009 based on medical records. Started hypo meds about 2 months ago but still struggling with trying to lose weight. Have blood work on Monday to see what my level is now. My primary care doctor is treating me but wonder if I need endocrinologist.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is only testing your TSH levels and not treating your symptoms you need to either demand he treat your symptoms or find another doctor.

99% of the doctors out there only test TSH -- and TSH is not a worthless lab. It does not tell you anything about what your thyroid and adrenals and other aspects of your metabolism are doing.

Please read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com -- only by educating yourself about how your thyroid works can you make progress against the symptoms: fatigue, depression, low temperature, body aches, weight gain or inability to lose, insomnia, constipation, lightheaded/dizzy, hair falling out, and many more...