Struggling to keep my cool

Options
I started MFP in Janurary of this year at the constantly increase weight of 150 lbs (highest recorded was 153 and a size 11 in jeans). Today I am 147 (I am 5' 7"); I was 143 last Friday (not yesterday) but me and my family went on vacation and...yea. My lowest was 140.8, that was the monday of two weeks ago. Do normal people gain 4 lbs in one week? I over ate but I only went way over, about 500 over, one day at the beginning. I have been trying to lose 15 lbs for 7 months. Technically today I've only lost 3... what a joke. Anyways, my weight has a habit of fluctuating to the extremes ( I will go over 150-200 cal. and gain 3lbs the next morning). Is that normal?

My modivation for reaching my goal (135lbs) before the summer is over feels impossible. I want to be in a comfortable size 6 and I'm still in a tight size 10-11. I eat 1500/day. I went down to 1320 but that was too low for me, almost unhealthy, and made me hungry all of the time. I exercise 3-4 times a week, one hour of cardio and then the 30 day shread or basic strengthening with weights.

Can someone please give me some modivation, maybe advice or a relatable weight lose journey. I refuse to go back where I started but I'm finding it very stressful to reach my goal.

Thank you for reading.

Replies

• kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much I can help other to say that my weight fluctuates like that too - it's so frustrating. I've heard that our weight naturally fluctuates through the month, so there's not a lot we can do about the numbers on the scale.

I've started taking measurements and calculating body fat percentage instead - maybe you could try that?
  • BrittLee07
    BrittLee07 Posts: 28
    Options
    I know water weight can REALLY determine weight. Make sure you drink PLENTY of water. Don't quote me on this, but I have heard you can gain up to 5 lbs of water weight!

Also, you should weigh yourself in the morning BEFORE you eat or drink anything. With this being said, you also should try not to eat late at night. Weight from ingested food/drink can make you heavier than you actually are on the scale.

There are other things that may factor into this, but I think those things may help you.

Also, don't just use the scale! If you are gaining muscle, you will gain weight. You should measure inches and I also recommend taking progress pictures!!!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I was 1.5 lbs away from my goal of losing 25 lbs. Then I went on a trip to my friend's wedding and gained TWO lbs (even though I waited 4 days after to weigh myself again). Even though it was only for 4 days, I went totally out of control eating with the "I'm on vacation" mentality. And now, I went from being 1.5 weeks away from goal to 3+ weeks...which may not seem like alot but it is to me after you have been SO CLOSE.

So yeah, I can relate. Gaining 4 lbs in one week seems a bit extreme, part of it was probably water weight, but it certainly CAN be done...each lb is 3500 cals so you had to eat 14,000 cals over maintanence in that time...which is alot but doable with alcohol and desserts etc.

But alot of the normal fluctuations you are talking about probably has more to do with water retention (especially if you had alot of sodium the day before).

However if you have only lost 7 lbs in 15 weeks...yeah that is pretty discouraging. Either you aren't following your goal diligently or it's not set right (which is more likely as MFP isn't set up for us that are losing vanity lbs). EVERYONE is capable of losing 1 lb per week. Unfortunately for people who don't have alot to lose your goal has to be lower and you have to me more diligent to lose weight...if you want me to run your numbers for you let me know.

Don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • loubeth22
    loubeth22 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 6 months and I've lost a total of 2 kg /4 pounds. That's with restricting my cals to 1200 Monday to Thursday and 1600-1800 for weekends (night's out with friends are my weakness). I also added over 8 hours cardio and strength training.

Only difference is that I have been tracking my body fat percent. I've lost 0.5% with that 2 kg. It's so discouraging, especially as all I want is to fit into a dress that is just a little too tight and look good. I fit that dress this time last year. It's like my body has decided that I belong in the upper end of the healthy weight for my height. So frustrating.

When people say "you have to eat 3500 cals extra to gain a pound in a week" is the worst for me. If I logged a deficit of over 3500 for that week then why am I only losing at most 0.2 pounds or even gaining?
  • crd314
    crd314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest thing. I can have a deficit of 3500 in a week but I still only lose a half pound every week or two. It's so frustrating. I've lost 2 pounds in 7 weeks of tracking, and I've only gone over my calorie limit twice. I work out 6 days a week but I'm not losing inches anymore either. I would love if anyone would like to help me with my numbers! I typically stay under 1500 a day but I've had a bit of a splurge week. I'd love to have more friends, so send me a request and my diary is open for friends. I welcome any help! Seems like a lot of us have the same problem.

As far as what the OP said, I bet it's a combination of sodium and water retention. When I eat differently than I usually do, I always have a bit of a higher weight until I flush my system out with water and my digestion gets back to normal. I would give yourself a couple of days of grace before weighing again. Time of month really affects it too, which always makes me feel crazy.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LADIES: IF YOU ARE STICKING TO YOUR GOAL (every day of the week, and using measuring cups and food scales for accuracy) AND YOU AREN'T LOSING WEIGHT AT THE RATE YOU SET (ie: 1 lb a week), THEN YOU NEED TO CHANGE SOMETHING.

Possible reasons:
    1. Your BMR is lower than average. IT HAPPENS.

2. Using MFP (or other average estimator) to log their exercise calories (and eat back) instead of a Heart Rate Monitor. AVERAGE ESTIMATORS OVERESTIMATE YOUR BURN SIGNIFICANTLY.

If you aren't AT LEAST losing 1 lb a week then SOMETHING IS WRONG.

Figure it out and stop working hard pointlessly!
    This is hard enough as it is! :flowerforyou:

Message me if you have questions, I will do my best to help!
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A lot of times big weight fluctuations are just from bloating. If you go over, you probably ate more salt, which can cause you to bloat the next day. Your weight can fluctuate a lot depending just on how much food is still in your system, and when you weigh yourself every day, you're bound to feel more discouraged.

Also, I have had to stop weighing myself and instead start measuring myself. I have weighed 140lbs and been a size 12, and (when I was in really good shape), I weighed 140lbs and was a size 4. That's a pretty big size difference, but the scale said the same thing. Don't worry about that number. Worry about getting smaller and feeling healthier. Throw your scale away and buy a measuring tape. After all, we try to lose weight to be smaller, not to make the scale say something different, right?
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    To have gained 4 pounds in a week is so fast that I would think it is only water. Drink more water so that your body will begin to flush it out.