Vegetarians- how do you only get 40% carbs?

Options
katnohat
katnohat Posts: 43 Member
I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian of five years, and I have found that my vegetarian diet tends to be higher in carbs. I have been losing weight for almost 6 months now, and I have only lost 16 pounds in that time. I'm beginning to think that this is likely because my intake of carbs is too high. A quick look through my diary over the last few months and I can see that I have eaten over 50% carbs most days - but usually healthy carbs from whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

So I decided to do an experiment to eat at 40% carbs for a week, and I am completely overwhelmed! I have spent over an hour trying to decide what to eat Monday, and there is no way I can both hit 30% protein and stay under on carbs and sodium, eating 2100 calories a day.

Should I just not worry about it and concentrate on getting enough protein and fat while eating healthy carbs, or do I need to suck it up and learn how to cut back? If the second, how do you do that??

Replies

• lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, focus on the protein, and it will help control the carbs. I find I have a tendency to go over a bit on fats (but "good fats" from things like nuts), not carbs, when I focus on my proteins. I am also ovo-lacto.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in this battle. I am a vegan and getting to 40% carbs without going over is truly a task in itself and to remain with that type of diet as a lifestyle change is not impossible but not enjoyable as a vegetarian. As a vegan I struggled, racked my brain to balance my carb/protein/calories consumption. It got to a point where I was truly stressing myself out. But when I looked closer I was following the habits from people who ate meat.... The calories allocation is different for meat consumption.

In truth it all depends on your goals..and what you can maintain for the long haul... In the end...I realized that I must rely on my signals from my body.... I never go hungry....I try to make good choices and portion my plate appropriately with protein and carbs, watch my sugar intake, consume lots of water, exercise daily and most importantly find balance. I consume over 2200 calories per day and I'm always over on my carbs, but I'm seeing results. My bodyfat% is consistently decreasing and gaining lean muscle mass at a steady rate.

So the answer to your question is try to find your balance between nutrition and exercise...the best way for your body...listen to your body signals. You can learn a great deal from some groups on MFP and they will show you what works for them...but in the end find what works for you as a ovo-lacto...and you will begin to see results... Good luck in your journey...
  • Sji19109
    Sji19109 Posts: 13
    Options
    What are you vegans eating for protein? I'm looking for ideas : )
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What are you vegans eating for protein? I'm looking for ideas : )

You will find lots of protein in all foods...especially dark leafy greens, but as an added source various types of sietan, themph, TVP, and beans to name a few. But some of the protein sources carry more carbs then you would find in a piece of chicken.
  • Sji19109
    Sji19109 Posts: 13
    Options
    Wow never heard of any of that stuff except beans, i'll have to look them up thanks!