Once you finish, anyone do it again?

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
I am in Stage 6 and despite how I felt before, am happy with my progress. In fact, I'm thinking I might cycle through the program again.

Here's my question - does anyone do this and if so, do you do the whole thing over? I refuse to stage 1 again and would like to make some modifications, but keep the basic program the same.

Thoughts?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I was planning on doing it again but will use heavier weights. My workout partner is pregnant so we don't want to start a whole new program, we know she can do this one.

BUT I might check out some new programs like something from Jamie Eason or Cathe.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm on Stage 7 now, and wondering what I'll do as well. I'm thinking that I will probably create my own workouts using some of the same exercises from NROL, but keep it low reps and heavy weights. My husband is doing Stronglifts 5x5, and I may look into that as well.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL for about 2 months or so now and plan to return to NROLFW shortly, I think I prefer the variety in NR.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I'm finished Stage 6 after this week.
    I had been planning on checking out some Jamie Eason programs or SL as well.
    If you find some good mods for NROLFW, please share! :smile:
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    While I'm only on stage 3, I've thought I would either repeat NROLFW or try his other book NROLFW For Life. I like the whole body approach for each workout.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I want to look at the lifting for life book. Someone said it helps you design your program for variety and make it so you can just keep going "for life"
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in concentrating on the big lifts for a while to see how high i can get those DLs/squats etc. Therefore I'm doing what many here have done and moving to stronglifts when i'm done (in about 2 weeks).

But I'll definitely keep at the ab work as a supplement. Might take a look at NRL4abs at some point too. But i was surprised the other day i tried to add some abs onto stage 7, and mine were too exhausted to do it- even after just the lifting! So lifting alone does incorporate abs.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do think SL or Starting Strength is a great place to go after this program. It is definitely a change of pace....although after getting accustomed to short rest periods between sets it might take som time adjusting to much longer rest periods and no alternating sets. I love it all and it is nice to change things up.

But if you are looking to do something similar to this program,and you aren't sure you want to do all the same stages again, consider not just NRoL4 Life but also The Female Body Breakthrough by Rachel Cosgrove. Written by Alwyn's wife and very similar since heck they are co-owners of the same gym so operate on the same principles. I did NROL4W in 2009 when it came out. Around that time I started training for triathlons, which gradually led me astray and to several months off of strength training. Rachel's book was my comeback and it kicked my butt good. Plus it is written by a woman with several real examples of clients she put through the exact program. I am really surprised I haven't heard any mention of this program on MFP.
  • sadiesimp
    sadiesimp Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Finishing the last workout of stage 7 today and am going to start NROL Abs sometime next week!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Finishing the last workout of stage 7 today and am going to start NROL Abs sometime next week!

I did this program last year. You'll like it...lots of fun and challenging moves. Definitely a fat burner, as well.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I thought about doing it again. Directly after I finish, I think I'm going to tackle Insanity. My husband is a month in and it's pretty rough and well, I want to prove to myself I can do it. After Insanity, I'll either do this program again (including Stage 1 modified for more cardio), NROL4A or NROL4L. So many choices!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm doing the program again. I finished all 7 stages in March and I'm currently in stage 4 of round two. I'm tracking my improvements from the first go-around. Using heavier weights, more difficult versions, etc.

For example, I'm using 8 risers on each side for the step-ups, doing AMRAP for push-ups and all ab work (prone jackknife, Swiss ball planks, and crunches).

I'm very happy with my strength gains compared to round one. The real test will come in stage 6 when I try to beat my chin-up stats of 3 sets of 4 reps. (skipped negative chin-ups and started with regular chin-ups).
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL for about 2 months or so now and plan to return to NROLFW shortly, I think I prefer the variety in NR.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Thanks for chiming in everyone! :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I am going to be finished in 3 weeks and wondering what's next. I think i'm going to try SL, sometimes I felt odd at the gym doing NROL4W because some of the moves were just so different. On 2 different occassions I had people ask me what I was doing, and I found it almost embarrassing to explain, though they might have just been using it to flirt.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just decided to go with the ABS book. I think my cousin is going to do a round 2 though I will probably drag her into ABS with me lol