Eating Lower Carb v. Calories Help Please

Options
Marillian
Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
I am trying to eat lower carb, not following any formal plan. What this means is that I do not think carbs are "evil" (such as bread, pasta, potatoes, fruit), but I am lowering my intake of these items. I don't do the caculations in figuring out "net" carbs For example, I may eat pasta once a month, or use a very low carb pita (Joseph's Flax/Bran), and having a baked potato every couple of weeks. I eat certain fruit (berries, nectarines, melon).

I should also mention that I try to eat very healthy and organic (clean as possible). I belong to an organic CSA so my vegetables and fruit are seasonal and fresh. I also do a lot of home canning/preserving so I have this food all year long). I support a local farm where I purchase my meat. All beef is 100% grass fed (not grain finished), pork is pastured and organic, as is poultry. (Humanely raised in a natural free roaming environment) I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I do not use or eat anything with artificial sweeteners, but will use organic stevia and honey. I avoid processed "fat free" fake foods as well.

I've been on MFP since Feb. 2012. I've done so much reading as to different approaches to lose weight it makes my head spin. I'm not unfamiliar with the topic. I've been yo yo dieting for 30+ years. Sick and tired of that and want to get to a healthy weight once and for all.

When I originally started MFP, I was using the goals it set for me. I followed that for a couple months and lost 15 pounds. I felt tired but couldn't sleep. I felt blah. I was moody. Then, I read EM2WL and it made a lot of sense. I did a metabolism reset, upped calories and felt pretty darn good! I was eating at my TDEE w/cut, and although I gained at first, I leveled off and maintained.

About a month ago, my doctor suggested I eat lower carb to help get my blood sugar number down. I'm not diabetic, but I was getting into the danger zone of becoming one.

I have my goals custom set to 40% P, 30 C and 30 F. I try to eat at or less than 145 total carbs. However, now I am confused about how many daily calories I should eat. I haven't lost weight in 3 months (but haven't gained either). I have a lot of weight to lose (at least 80), so staying the same week after week is getting frustrating.

Some have said if eating lower carb, don't worry about a daily calorie goal. Some have told me not to eat below TDEE or BMR. My doctor suggested 1800-2000 pre-lower carb.

Has anyone else been in this situation or had the same quandry? I would appreciate any helpful advice (as opposed to snarky or hurtful comments that I see all too often on MFP when someone asks a question).

Thank you!

Replies

• mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You are going about this the right way! Everyone is different and you have to find your sweet spot for losing. I started low carb Atkins style which is six cups of veggies per day even on the lowest phase. With my net carbs at 20g after a month I felt very weak when working out. My sweet spot is 20%carbs 30%protein 50%fat with MFP net calories at 1450--but I burn 300-500 min calories per day so the real count is in the 1700 range. We live in a very rural area and eat seasonally, so when the corn and melons and peaches are in I eat them while still keeping my carbs low. I have essentially given up most bread and pasta and potatoes and don't miss them.
    You don't mention exercise--I would start doing something and see if that helps also take measurements. Be very very careful to weigh and measure everything and enter your recipes since I suspect that you cook a lot. Also try lowering your carbs to less than 100 net carbs to see if that moves things, It just takes time.
    After a quick loss the first month I'm only losing 3 pounds a month, but I'm happy with that progress. You will do this!!!
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options

You don't mention exercise--I would start doing something and see if that helps also take measurements. Be very very careful to weigh and measure everything and enter your recipes since I suspect that you cook a lot. Also try lowering your carbs to less than 100 net carbs to see if that moves things, It just takes time.
    After a quick loss the first month I'm only losing 3 pounds a month, but I'm happy with that progress. You will do this!!!

I do cook a lot, and weigh and measure almost everything! Sometimes I get obsessive and it stresses me out that I have to take a step back. But I think I've got a good handle on what I know I must weigh/measure, and what I know I can "eyeball". Always measure everything in a recipe, although many times I cook from instinct and don't use a recipe.

Exercise is almost nil. The most I do is some walking, but not consistently. I won't belabor this point, but will simply add health conditions prevent most "formal" types of work-outs. I know I wan't to try to get in more formal walking, but when it's 97 degrees with 100% humidity, there is just no way I'm doing it. I bought some DVDs which I am going to force myself to use. I do know that this is part of the reason why my weight isn't moving. The other is that I'm in cancer recovery and my metabolism is all screwed up from the chemo and radiation.

I guess I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the higher fat percentage helps with weight loss after everything I've been taught is low or no fat.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for me, i don't do low carb unless i'm in ketosis, its just seems pointless.
    cal counting does nothing for me. i struggle with feeling like crap, always hungry, scale not moving. thank god ketosis helps with all that.

do whatever works for you.
    eat when you're hungry, do't eat if you're not.
    exercise, drink water.
    some days i eat 800 cals. some days i eat 1800.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I believe (IMHO) is the most important to focus on is making sure you do the following:

1.) Get a good variety in on a daily basis
    2.) If you dont trust yourself eye-balling things, then measure until you are comfortable
    3.) Keep well hydrated with plenty of water
    4.) Most important: if you are not following a calorie restriction, be extra diligent in determining if you are truly hungry, or if it is a sign of hydration issues.
    5.) If you are hungry - eat, but eat sensibly.

From the medical perspective, a low-carbohydrate intake usually involves a controlled amount of carbohydrates that are consumed on a daily basis. The medical professional (whether Endo, RD, etc) will state what carbs are more appropriate to have vs the types that are best avoided.

I work with GI physicians (as an example) who definitely sing the praises of avoiding the 'whites' family of foods: breads, pasta, rice, flour. They take a step further and advise patients to eliminate corn, a very carb-crazy grain. Mankind was never meant to eat these types of foods to begin with. They were a staple for times when food was scarce, areas where farming is seasonal-dependent (like where I am, New Hampshire), or in times when winter was treacherous, you stayed home and filled up on baked-related goods, pasta was easy and cheap to make, corn was sustainable through preservation techniques, etc.

I work with Endos who will advise most of their patients to follow a certain amount of carbs per day. These patients are often advised not to consume that grain-category at all for the first two-four weeks as a bench-mark to see how well they adapt. Mind you, these are patients whose A1C (measurement determining Diabetes, Sugar, Insulin ratios, etc) are high.

I would highly suggest either South Beach or Atkins where you seem to be following either path. Atkins' website is a free resource (cant beat free, right?), lots of easy-to-read-and-understand concepts.

FAT: With the omission of the grains group, your body does not have a chance to convert the starches(also a sugar) into artery-clogging elements when it metabolizes with fats. Its like a sponge that hardens over time in your arteries. With low-carb intakes, fat is extremely important for organ function and absorption properties.

Example: Butter contains Stearic Acid - a very hearty healthy acid. A blurb copied from LIVESTRONG.COM would be:
    Health Effects
    While it is a saturated fat, stearic acid acts differently in the body compared to other types of saturated fats such as butterfat or animal fat. Unlike other saturated fats, stearic acid is converted in the liver to the heart-healthy fat, oleic acid; also, it has not been associated with the heart disease risk factor of raising LDL, "bad" cholesterol. A review published in "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" in 2010 concluded that compared to other saturated fats, stearic acid lowers LDL cholesterol, exerts a neutral effect on HDL --- "good" cholesterol --- and lowers the ratio of total to HDL cholesterol.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/524112-stearic-acid-in-cocoa/#ixzz20jGNr87S

Fat, in its most natural form is the best fat you can use. Naturally occuring in meats, butter, olive oil. Stay away from anything that has been manufactuered (hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated)... Youre already on the clean path so, that should be easy for you.

Most people on LC intakes find an early "Im satisfied" bell that rings for them. With good variety you will definitely feel as though you have eaten enough.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can't eat "lower" carbs and high calorie and expect to lose. Cutting out some carbs and replacing them with higher-satiety foods (higher protein, higher fats) will keep you more satisfied and help you eat fewer calories. But loading up on calories while continuing to eat refined carbs and starch is not going to get you anywhere. Well your scale might go up.

You should read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution or one of the South Beach Diet books. Understand the science behind low carb. Otherwise you're just going to continue to misinform yourself into gaining weight.
  • cramernh
    Options
    You can't eat "lower" carbs and high calorie and expect to lose. Cutting out some carbs and replacing them with higher-satiety foods (higher protein, higher fats) will keep you more satisfied and help you eat fewer calories. But loading up on calories while continuing to eat refined carbs and starch is not going to get you anywhere. Well your scale might go up.

You should read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution or one of the South Beach Diet books. Understand the science behind low carb. Otherwise you're just going to continue to misinform yourself into gaining weight

Actually, yes you can expect to lose weight if you are following a specific formula of your caloric intake.

By eating below your BMR, there are some folks who just cant lose weight, in fact most gain weight as a result of eating below their BMR.

The OP has already declared she is making wise choices food-wise and is following a plan that MFP recognizes as safe. She also states she restricts the refined foods to a limit, lets not give her a hard time.

She is following (EM2WL) an accepted caloric plan which is recognized by several medical associations from which recognize the consumption of TDEE-15%. There are people losing weight on EM2WL AND following a low carb intake. Sports Medicine recognizes the whole BMR/TDEE/TDEE-cut philosphy of EM3WL. MFP recognizes this as it is more or less, integrated into their formula.

To the OP: You have already answered your question:
    My doctor suggested 1800-2000 pre-lower carb.
    Stick with the advice of what your physician has recommended. As I mentioned before, get a good variety. If your doctor is ok with the way you have chosen to reduce your refined-carb intake, then that is what you should strive for. Your doctor (my professional experience) is advising you wisely....

CramerNH
  • cramernh
    Options
    EM2WL uses this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter your information (its easy and quick to use), and it will calculate your numbers....

BTW, Ive been doing EM2WL with an Atkins approach... I did my first weigh-in today, I lost 3lbs.. and Im eating roughly 1900-2100 calories per day....

8-)
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You are going about this the right way! Everyone is different and you have to find your sweet spot for losing. I started low carb Atkins style which is six cups of veggies per day even on the lowest phase. With my net carbs at 20g after a month I felt very weak when working out. My sweet spot is 20%carbs 30%protein 50%fat with MFP net calories at 1450--but I burn 300-500 min calories per day so the real count is in the 1700 range. We live in a very rural area and eat seasonally, so when the corn and melons and peaches are in I eat them while still keeping my carbs low. I have essentially given up most bread and pasta and potatoes and don't miss them.

I also feel weak working on low carb... but I noticed by week 4 it got way better! Although I ate poorly one day last week and now I am trying to get my body back into ketosis. It SO was not worth falling off the wagon. I felt HORRIBLE eating that crap...
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    In addition to the newer Atikins books ...

'Living Low Carb' by Johnny Bowden, PhD, CNS
    Gives an overview of over thirty (mostly) low-carb diets
    :smile:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    In addition to the newer Atikins books ...

'Living Low Carb' by Johnny Bowden, PhD, CNS
    Gives an overview of over thirty (mostly) low-carb diets
    :smile:

Yes! I'm about halfway through this book. It reminds me of Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat", but an easier read (plus the 30-some diet reviews!).
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

I also feel weak working on low carb... but I noticed by week 4 it got way better! Although I ate poorly one day last week and now I am trying to get my body back into ketosis. It SO was not worth falling off the wagon. I felt HORRIBLE eating that crap...

remember this for the next time you want to cheat
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options

remember this for the next time you want to cheat

NO CRAP. It tasted good, but it just caused cravings and mood swings and bloat and ick. I think some people assume I won't low carb forever.... um... I think I will. I just feel better.

Doc check up tomorrow!! We will see how it goes!