Meat and shake free Protein?

Options
newtattie
newtattie Posts: 47 Member
Hi all,

Wondered if anyone has any suggestions for a meat free 40/40/20. I am not keen on taking commercial protein shakes but happy to make my own. I live in the UK so am struggling to find tips with non-stateside ingredients.

Any help appreciated :happy:

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Most non-meat protein options come with more carbs than protein. Like pinto beans I think have 3 grams of carbs for every 1 gram of protein. That makes your 40/40/20 hard to get. I think soy might have a better ratio but I have issues with soy.

What do you mean by commercial protein shakes? Like a pre-made shake or make a shake out of a protein powder?
  • newtattie
    Options
    Hi rmhand

Thanks for the reply - yes I am struggling to get the protein up without the carbs and yes its the pre-made/powder shakes I want to avoid. I often find them too sweet for me as i have a very savoury not sweet tooth and do tend to make everything from scratch as a rule so not into preservatives etc..
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    There are protein powders that are unflavored but they probably full of preservatives. I wish I had some more helpful information for you.

Good luck!
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    0% Greek yoghurt. In fact most low fat dairy will fit your bill. All main UK supermarkets stock Fage yoghurt, and their own brand version as well quite often. Flavoured or natural regular yoghurt has a decent amount of protein.

Soy products. Think silken firm tofu (Sainsburys, Whole Foods, Holland and Barrett), Quorn and supermarket own brand equivalents like Sainsbury love soya, soy yoghurt, soy milk, soy puddings...

Also seafood and fish, especially white fish. Sainsburys do frozen pollock in their basics range which is very cheap. Tuna, scallops, prawns etc are good choices.
  • newtattie
    Options
    Thanks - I eat alot of fish but find it difficult to eat enough on a daily basis. Just bough some Silken Tofu so will see how that affects the stats. Its getting the balance right with the fat that seems difficult but managed not to go over fat yesterday but still only about 60% there with the protein - trial and error me thinks.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered low fat cottage cheese. 100g is 70 cals, 10g protein and 5g carbs.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    what about quinoa? Chickpeas? (not sure on the carb content of chickpeas though) Egg whites?
    Have you googled vegetarian protein rich food - that might help too
  • newtattie
    Options
    Great tip on the Quinoa - will try more in the diet, will try this week to work in more egg whites and Quinoa to see how it goes - just been on holiday so need a good week.

Wilol feed back
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good luck.

i'm trying to get to 130 grams of protein a day and the only way to get there efficiently is with meat and protein powder :ohwell: