NROLFW

Options
CamyLoo
CamyLoo Posts: 39 Member
I want to start lifting weights and was wondering what weights I would need to get to use with this book. I haven't gotten the book yet because I also want to know if it is a good book to get for beginners. I haven't lifted any weights since the early 90's and I'm 57 years young so I want to start out slow.

Replies

• CamyLoo
    Options
    Bumping to see if I can get some answers please
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great program for beginners.

For weights, you want to lift as heavy as you can (especially in stage 3 as you are only doing 6 reps but with heavier weights).

Here are the weights that I have been doing:

squats-125lbs (that includes the barbell that weighs 45lbs)
    deadlifts-115 lb (including barbell)
    chest press 2 x 30lbs dumbbells
    one legged dead left 2 x 25 lb dumbells
    lunges- 2x25lbs

Okay...not going to go through all my weights but basically right now I am using 20-30 lb dumbbells and then on the barbell I use 25 lbs plates up to 35 lb plates.
  • CamyLoo
    Options
    Thanks, what weights did you start with?
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Bump for more answers...I want to order the book, but I am still on fence. LOL
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Count me in too!! I am interested also! I am hearing a lot about lifting and the importance of it. Maybe we can get some ideas on here...
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    The lightest weight I used for anything was 15 lbs for dumbbells and on the barbell the lightest plates were 25's on each side.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am in Stage 1 of NROLFW. I'm 51 years young and here's what I STARTED with:

Shoulder press: 2/10s
    Squat: 25 pound (dumbbell held against my chest-bar on shoulders threw me too off-balance)
    Deadlift: 35 pounds
    Row: 60 (on a gym machine)
    Lat Pulldown: 60

Lunges: NO weight since I had to hold on due to balance again but now hold a 17pd kettlebell in one hand)
    Step Ups: NO weight for same reason but now hold the same 17 pd kettlebell)

Ball Crunches: started without a weight but now use that same kettlebell against my chest

I have MS ladies, and have to modify a LOT of things that I do. I've gathered a LOT of tips over the years so if you have any questions about that type of thing, please ask away!!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Try renting NROLFW from your local library ! You can keep it for a few weeks. That'll give you a great idea of whether it's going to work for you or not.
  • CamyLoo
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I'm going to get the book and get started.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Instead of NROLFW take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Life (same author). It's designed for older people that may have had various injuries in life. So easier on our bodies, to prevent injuries. There are more variations of the exercises, and ways of putting the routines together.
  • CamyLoo
    Options
    Thank you Plumsgrl, I will check it out.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Instead of NROLFW take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Life (same author). It's designed for older people that may have had various injuries in life. So easier on our bodies, to prevent injuries. There are more variations of the exercises, and ways of putting the routines together.

Sheesh, I HAVE it!! Perhaps I should read it:embarassed: