Restrict calories while pregnant

Options
jamie31
jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
Ok i am in some major need of advice or something. I am gainng way to much weight during this pregnancy! I am only 16 weeks along and have gained 18lbs! I am terrified that I will gain way too much and get gestational diabetes or something else. Are there any moms on here that have been given a program on how to safely restrict calories or what NOT to eat? Is it safe to eat low carb? Can i cut my calories below maintenance.

My doctor wants to send me to a nutritionist but my insurance wont pay for it and I cannot afford the $300 that the program would cost me out of pocket.

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on this but I personally would not feel comfortable restricting my calories. I do not like gaining weight, but I'd rather that and have a healthy baby. Maybe it will even out like some other moms on here have said...that's what I'm hoping for too :) Can you ask your doctor about a ballpark calorie goal? I know you are exercising and eating healthy, and I think your body is going to do what it needs. I would show your doctor your dairy and exercise! Good luck :)

I was just looking at your diary and notice you have some very large deficits. I was wondering if that can work like it does in non-preggos and actually work against you? Maybe your body needs whatever you have and is holding on it? I have seen people on here all the time afraid to eat more, and when they do they lose weight. I'm not sure, just a thought. Maybe try focusing on netting a certain amount of calories, like at least 1700-1800.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Your focus should be less on the scale and more on your nutrition, health, and fitness. That baby growing inside you needs a steady supply of nutrients, so going on a calorie restriction right now is not healthy for you or your baby. Most of that weight gain is probably water weight. Progesterone makes you bloat like crazy, and your hormone levels are very high right now.

Put the scale away. Focus on eating good nutritious food (lots of water, lots of potassium, reasonable sodium intake, etc.) and eat at maintenance. High potassium foods can help ease bloating and water retention. Go for lots of fresh veggies, especially potatoes, greens, and starchy vegetables like peas. Bananas are high in potassium also. Don't bother with a potassium supplement. Limit processed foods with a lot of sodium, and drink lots of water.

FWIW, I'm 10 weeks now, and I'm up 12 lbs already. It's almost all water weight. My belly is huge for 10 weeks too. This is all normal. It's all related to your hormone levels and water retention, and it's totally fine. Just stop worrying so much about the weight and focus more on your wellbeing. Being stressed about the weight gain is doing you absolutely no good at all.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to lose weight right now. I would just like to slow down my weight gain. As diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family i have to do all i can to prevent excessive weight gain to prevent gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm answering this question because a) My doctor had told me I was gaining too fast, and b) I do have gestational diabetes.

I see a nutritionist once a week and have a doctor review my food diary. The biggest problem I had was that I WASN'T eating enough carbs. My liver was dumping extra sugar into my system to make up for my lack of carbs, causing insulin spikes, high sugar, which can turn into extra weight gain for baby.

I had been focusing on eating veggies and protein because I was trying to slow the weight gain. I was doing the wrong thing!!!

I am now eating 2000 caloies per day, and make sure I get lots of carbs with every meal (as long as they are whole grain fiber carbs with protein). I eat NO refined sugar. My weight gain is slowing and I feel satisfied and healthy.

Don't restrict, you need lots of good nourishment right now.

Also - you might just be a second trimester gainer.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to lose weight right now. I would just like to slow down my weight gain. As diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family i have to do all i can to prevent excessive weight gain to prevent gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.

I get what you're saying, but if you're talking about a calorie deficit, that's a diet really, and it's not healthy.

Eat at maintenance levels. Track your food like normal. Just do your best to stay as healthy as you can with good food and regular exercise.

Some of this may be out of your control, so just do your best. Hang in there hon! You'll get through this and have a beautiful baby!
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When I found out that I was pregnant at 12 weeks, the first thing I asked my doctor was 'Is it safe and necessary to watch my calories and try not to gain weight right now, and possibly lose weight?' Her answer to me was simple....YES. I am 5'9 and started out at 195 when I found out I was pregnant. At that weight, I am only 10 lbs away from the weight I was at when I delivered my first child.:ohwell: My doctor said that up until the baby is a substantial weight of 1 to 2 lbs, then she had absolutely no problem with me losing weight if I wanted to and no concern of keeping my calories at 1600 per day as I had already started doing. I don't worry about not getting the nutrients because I know that I am through my prenatal vitamin and the healthy foods that I choose to eat. If I am going to binge eat, I will choose a gronola bar, banana, sugar free jello, fresh fruits or veggies....instead of Oreos, ice cream, etc. Do I eat healthy everyday? Of course not. You have to allow yourself one day to break the cycle of each week or even as long as every other week so that your body doesn't get use to a routine. I have started buying leaf lettuce and wrapping my lunch meat and other toppings in the leaf lettuce. You would be surprised at how good it still taste without the bread. I wouldn't go without carbs, but I would choose healthier carbs and less of them....such as a sweet potato instead of a white potato, whole wheat bread (not enriched or bleached) instead of white bread, instead of salad dressing on a salad go with the juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon and 1-2 Tbsp. of a light olive oil. There are tons of ways to provide your body with healthier nutrients and vitamins by making healthier choices. You said that you are at 16 weeks, and right now your baby is probably only 6 to 8 ounces in weight. I am 5 months (20 weeks) and they measured my baby during ultrasound this week and it is at 13 ounces. That's still 3 ounces from a pound, and I asked my doctor if it was still okay to continue watching calories, eating low carb, and exercising....and to no surprise, she still said YES! If I do go over on my calories for the day, I do extra workouts or things around the house that are in the database that still burn calories. Like this morning I ironed clothes for 20 minutes. If you think about it, I'm standing in one place only moving my upper body.....same equivelant as cooking or food preparation. So I counted that as a cardio exercise. It might seem petty to some people, but I don't iron clothes on a daily basis. So if I had not done it, then I most likely would have been laying on the couch watching TV. You tell me....which burns more calories? :smile: I hope some of this helps. Good luck!
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I say keep doing what you. Try to stay active and maintain your calorie intake at ur maintenance. Every pregnancy is different. I'd still keep the scale around . I wouldn't step on mine because the weight went on so fast with my first and I ended up gaining 65lbs.. With my 2nd I kept the scale close by & gained 45lbs.
    Also remember this weight won't be on you forever. You will lose it all after the baby is born. You can work on a restricted calorie after you give birth.. You want a healthy baby that's what you need to work on now.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I say continue to do what you are doing. I personally feel like I am gaining too fast as well, but I know how hard I am working my butt off and that I am choosing healthier food. KEEP THE SCALE. Trust me, you don't need to gain an unhealthy amount of weight. Some people don't realize that its just as bad for YOU and THE BABY to gain too much weight. I gained 47lbs with my daughter, I ate very little (2-3meals a day), but I ate JUNK and HIGH calorie foods. McDonalds, Taco Bell, processed meals, etc. Your baby and body WILL NOT get the proper amount of nutrition from junk food. I wouldn't worry about eating ALL your exercise calories or setting a number to net. Just eat til your full, don't over eat just to meet your calorie goal. I know people probably dont like my diary, but i eat until I am full and I eat home prepared meals and ALOT of fruits and snacks, so its going to be a lot less calories than what they eat by going out every day. I will increase my net goal soon, but if I don't hit it, I won't force myself to eat 2000 calories a day if I don't need it. Just my 2 cents.
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just found out I am pregnant. Actually found out last night. How many calories should I be eating? I am 4'11 and 165lbs right now. It said I only need to gain about 15lbs. I know the baby will end up weighing between 24-30lbs with all the extras in there. Have no idea how much food I should be eating?
    I plan on light exercise for 30 minutes a day 5x a week.
    Also started taking supplements this morning.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just found out I am pregnant. Actually found out last night. How many calories should I be eating? I am 4'11 and 165lbs right now. It said I only need to gain about 15lbs. I know the baby will end up weighing between 24-30lbs with all the extras in there. Have no idea how much food I should be eating?
    I plan on light exercise for 30 minutes a day 5x a week.
    Also started taking supplements this morning.

I would set MFP to maintenance for the first trimester, and then change it to gain 1/2 a pound a week in the second and third. Congratulations!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm nine weeks pregnant and have had major food aversions and lightheadedness along with mild constant nausea. I have been focusing on my protein intake to make sure I get enough. Before getting pregnant I was eating around 150 grams of carbs a day and was on Metformin for insulin problems. Doctor took me off the Metformin and for a couple weeks all I've been able to stomach (with a few exceptions) is carb-heavy food. I'm watching my fat intake since I'm eating more carbs, but hopefully I can get back to my normal diet once the first trimester issues are over. I'm six feet tall, weigh 210 and my maintenance calories are 2200 (according to MFP). Based on metabolism tests I've had done in the past, my true maintenance calories are around 2500. I'm just trying to get plenty of water too and not go overboard with junk food and whatnot.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was panicking about my weight gain a few weeks ago, and I found it was extremely helpful for me when I stopped logging my food and weighing myself for a week. I focused on eating healthy and staying active instead of counting calories. All of the logging and counting was taking a toll on my sanity, and I was starting to become obsessive about it. Not healthy for anyone, let alone a pregnant woman!

There are plenty of women on here who gain quickly in the beginning, only to have it balance out later in the pregnancy. Keep in mind that stress can cause weight gain, and stress is not good for you or the baby. Try to relax and not be so focused on your weight. Eat healthy, have a guilt-free treat now and then, and enjoy being pregnant.

As for the nutritionist, do they have a payment plan you could use? Do you have a birthday coming up? You could tell your partner/family that instead of a gift it would be helpful if they could contribute to the cost of the nutrition program. Would your employer be willing to advance $300 to you and have it taken off later paychecks in small amounts?

*I just noticed your comment about high blood pressure in your family and your fear of pre-e. From what I understand pre-e isn't something that can be prevented. Both of my parents have high blood pressure. My mom is very healthy and active, relatively stress free, and can't possibly cut any more sodium out of her diet. Some people just have it and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Even with two parents with blood pressure problems, mine has always been good, so I'm not going to worry about it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi Jamie,

I hear ya sister. I just started week 17 of my pregnancy. I gained like 9 pounds in the first 9 weeks, and completely freaked out about that number. After that, I joined MFP, and I have had pretty good luck here. I have gained about 1 pound over the past 6 weeks, and my doctor said she agreed with what I was doing, so I thought I'd share it with you--just in case it helps.

I set my calories at maintenance for my height/weight (which is 5'9" and 155 pounds). I usually eat over (probably averaging 300-500 calories). I don't count my exercise. When I was doing Weight Watchers, I found that I wasn't really burning what I thought I was burning, and that counting those calories as burned and then eating them led to weight gain (or a maintaining when I wanted to be losing). I figure, I am eating over, but only by about more or less what us preggos should be doing any way. And the exercise has to be balancing it out a bit too. Anyway, it seems to be working.

I completely understand your stress. Seven years ago, I lost 80 pounds (and kept it off), and I am completely freaked by the idea of going out of control during pregnancy. I really think the key though is what everyone is saying...eat healthy non-processed stuff, and in moderation, and you can't go that wrong. Good luck!!
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. My maintenance caloric intake was 2360, I cut mine down to around 1500 and did that until I was about 20 weeks, then increased it to 1700 and now am at 1800. I will admit I am not good at logging food and havent been for about the last 3 to 4 weeks HOWEVER I have lost 30 lbs during my pregnancy and explained to my OB that I just dont eat junk food near as much as I used to. I eat a TON more veggies, fruits and lean meats and have cut my portion size down considerably. My baby is progressing very well and is a healthy size, my last prenatal appt finally showed a weight gain of .5 a lb. Also my bloodwork came back fantastic and my blood pressure is great, no gestational diabetes or complications. I hope I can make it the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy with my weight loss and will continue after my little bundle is born.
  • JillSandm
    JillSandm Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Aphrodite - Sounds like you're doing AMAZING! I hope I can emulate you and lose a little before I start to gain. I've lost 4 pounds since my BFP 3 weeks ago, due in large part to not always feeling I can eat much. I'm still exercising like I did before, and have changed my goal from "lose a pound per week" to "lose a half pound per week."

Happy and healthy 8 more weeks to you! Congratulations!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and then realized that MFP is just a default generic tool. It was upping my calories more than what I needed for the .5 lb gains to stay on track. I looked around the internet and some of the forums in here to find a more accurate tool based on body fat, etc. to get to a more accurate number. I'm sorry I can't remember the site I used though! I wouldn't actively try to eat at a deficit but if MFP is giving you more calories than YOU need then you may need to do the same thing I did and find a more accurate way of finding out your calorie needs. I guess that's only sorta helpful...