When I reach 185 I always climb back up

Options
connette51
connette51 Posts: 16 Member
I have lost the same 5 lbs over and over again. It seems the minute I get to 185 and my WII fit says, "you are overweight" instead of "you are obese," I seem to let everything go and gain back to 190. I do Zumba, and/or walk 5-6 days a week. What can I do to get to my next goal of 180 instead of losing and gaining the same 5 lbs!.

Replies

• kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's very discouraging. Maybe if we look at it less like a diet and more like a regular eating plan that we can keep up then that wouldn't happen. I've gained back about 20 pounds after losing a lot two years ago. Sounds like you do a lot of exercise so that's not the problem. Are you weighing yourself too often or dieting too hard so that you feel deprived? Maybe if you lost weight one or two pounds a week slowly you'd be more apt to keep it off, give yourself a treat now and then, use the calorie counters not to go too much under when you're dieting and don't look at it as a diet? It's not all or nothing. If you can get to 10 pounds lost then it might be easier. Maybe take it little baby steps at a time and don't think about the scale, throw the scale into a closet for a month or something.
  • coldiron50
    coldiron50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think Kenna is right about the scale..stay away from it for a month or so, and just live your life as a healthy eater. I only weigh every month or so, so that the scale does not factor in as a big deal. The food tracking is so much more important to me now than the number, and that is where I look for answers. Look at sodium, fat, carbs, and fluids to begin analyzing weight changes and continue the good exercise plan you have in place. We all hover around a number sometimes, so don't get hung up on it and be patient. :) Easier said than done, but the change you are looking for will come.
  • connette51
    Options
    I see that both of you have posted your weight loss. How do you do that? I also have a WII which requires that I weigh myself every day. I do really well at breakfast, lunch and dinner; its after dinner that I snack myself over the 1200 cals! Sometimes after I finish my log ins for the night, I have to go back in and add a snack or two. That drives me crazy. I try to use Kellogg's special K cereals at night, but usually end up with something chocolate. I do well with message boards, so hope this one helps. I walked over 2 miles last night and am planning on a 5k on the 28th of this month. Need to lose some weight to be able to finish the 5k. Thanks for all the encouragement! Hope to do the same for you!
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Try My Home, Settings, and then Update Diet/Fitness Profile, Connette. Do you know how to update your ticker? I think it's done with tools and settings.

I'd ignore the Wii requirement to weigh yourself every day and put the scale away for a couple of weeks or a month. You don't really have to do what Wii says. That's exercise, isn't it, doesn't it track your activities and stuff? Can you still do that without weighing? Maybe try a different program.

You may not be eating enough protein. I find carbs make me hungry and put on water weight. Protein will keep you full longer so you're not so likely to binge at night. I used to have that problem, too. Maybe try some Whey Protein Powder in a fruit smoothie made with milk and blended with ice cubes to make it smooth. That's pretty good and has lots of protein if you don't eat a lot of meat or cheese, which has too much fat usually. You need protein esp since you're so active, too.
  • connette51
    Options
    Well here I go again. Every time I get to 185 I find something to mess up my exercise routine. Now
    I cant exercise until I get a clearance from a neurologists in August sometime. I'm having mini tiias. I am still going
    to walk 30 minutes a day anyway but no Zumba or 5k this weekend.
  • coldiron50
    coldiron50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! Plenty of people lose weight by walking and no other exercise is often required when you are eating healthy. I am glad you found this out without a serious incident, and can just try to get fit and stay healthy for your life..even though looking good makes us feel better about the undertaking. Wear your pedometer all day every day like I do, and see how far you really are walking. You would be surprised :wink:
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Connette, exercise is over rated for losing weight. It depends on how much you eat, usually, and what kind. I'm sorry to hear about the TIAs. Walking is the best exercise, Coldiron is right. But everyone's different and you may have your own regime which works better for you than adding protein to the beginning of the day and walking. Good luck. I expect your neurologist will give you lots of advice and I'll be quiet about it now. I'm not a medical person, that's for sure.
  • mammawbeth
    Options
    Connette, my exercise of choice is walking. Absolutely love it. You can set your own pace, walk through neighboring yards and see how they keep the yards, or if at holiday time see how they decorate for holiday...i walk everyday and do no other exercise, i.e. Aerobics or bicyling, or exercise machines, etc (i do bowl in a league) and I have been losing weight. Losing weight is hard and we all put the weight on over a period of time so it will take time to lose it. Be patient and dont get discouraged friend.
  • connette51
    Options
    I've been at a steady 185 for a couple of weeks now, so maybe the scale will start going down. At least it's not going back up! Seeing "Overweight on the WII Fitness instead of "Obese" flashing in red letters is much better! Onward and downward for us all!
  • kenna44cat
    Options
    Maintaining is a victory, too, Connette. Onward and downward.