Hi new here and would like opinions please?

Options
Hi everyone. I've just found this community. I've had the MFP app on my phone for a while but have only dabbled with it.

Does it work? It seems pretty accurate on the Food database but I'm wondering if it will give me the correct amount of calories to lose weight.

Thanks all

Replies

• emmas42
    emmas42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The thing I like the most about the phone App. is the barcode scanner. It's great fun zapping everything in the fridge :laugh:

I find it useful if I'm away from my computer and it updates online quite quickly.
  • Sarahjaneraynor
    Sarahjaneraynor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply. Do you think the calorie allowance is accurate on mfp? X
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty good, I've lost 17 lbs so far, it's been gradual but this is about change not a quick-fix! I believe you can set/adjust your own goals too, so if you feel it's not right for you, you don't have to stick to what MFP tells you to do. I have heard that there is more contention about exercise calories being off, but I don't "work out" just do gentle stuff so I'm not too worried about it - I'm losing weight and that's what I'm here for! :happy:
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It is TOTALLY working for me! the only thing I have ever stuck too and seen a result! LOL
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As long as whoever entered the product info on the database can read and isn't kidding themselves, the info should be accurate. If not you can correct it yourself.

I think that the calorie allowance is fairly accurate as it is based on your height, weight and activity level. Think carefully about your activity level or you could end up over or undereating and stall your progress (yes, you can eat too little). I'm working round this by entering sedentary activity level but logging all my exercise calories and walking (according to a heart rate monitor most of the time) and then eating back the exercise calories. It also depends on what weight loss goal you are set to (e.g. .5 or 1lb etc).I have read how some have more success losing when eating the calorie allowance mfp allows for a slower loss, and also vice versa. Everyone is different. It might take a few weeks of experimenting to find out what works for you and if you don't think the mfp goals are that accurate you can always enter your stats on an online calculator and then customise your goals on here accordingly.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    regarding how much MFP allocate you to eat daily, imo it is too low. The best thing to do is use a site like fitness frog & work out your TDEE then reduce 500 cals from that.

I am 6ft & was 240 & mfp stated I should eat 1200 cals a day, I was hungry & stopped losing weight after about 20lbs & in fact started gaining, after checking out my TDEE I found I should have been eating aroun 1700 PLUS my exercise calories so you can imagine how wrong my allocation was. After upping my cals I continued to lose weight until I self sabotaged (but thats my issue), I am back on it again & am eating to 1700 cals again & have started losing again.
  • LoneR113
    LoneR113 Posts: 27
    Options
    All I can say is - It's working for me, although I agree that it seems the calorie burn in the exercises seem high. (But then I'm no expert in this).I find it easier to stick to my original calories in food, then utilise the exercise burnt calories for the weight loss....
  • redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Generally worked for me. The calories seemed accurate but it does seem to over calculate the amount of calories you burn through exercise. When I've been to the gym the machines themselves tell you how many calories you have burned. When I have then put the exercise into MFP the result seems to be at least 50% more.

My advice is to not eat all of your "exercise calories".
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The food DB is pretty good, but there are some entries that are wrong. Check each food the first time you enter it to your diary and then select it from the existing entries from then on so you always use the correct numbers.

For me the calorie burns from exercise were accurate to start with (compared to my HRM) but became less so as I got fitter / lighter.

I'd recommend you invest in a HRM, particularly if you plan on eating your exercise calories. I almost always eat mine, so getting an accurate count of cals burned is essential for me.

As to the question "will I lose weight if I follow 'the MFP plan?'" - unless you have an underlying medical issue that stops you losing weight then I'd say yes.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    Well it's totally worked for me! :smile:

I've not any problems with the nutrition information, but I do wear a HRM to track calories burnt as the exercise database can be a little off. I think that's cos everyone's different though and burn at different rates.

The advice, support and information on here is priceless in my opinion. And to me, that's what's been the best thing about this site. I'd never heard of Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper before being on here, and they have changed my life!

It's like anything else in life though, you only get out what you put in, so if you're serious, stick with it, everyday and it WILL work! best of luck to you :drinker: