Do you log your food?

Options
Snapdragons3
Snapdragons3 Posts: 47 Member
I just read "It Starts with Food" about the whole 30. I'm working towards it, but I'm not 100% there yet. One thing I think I remember them saying in the book is not to log your food, count calories or get on a scale while you do it. I think some of the foods I'm eating might make my calorie count go nuts, but I'm not gaining because of it (ie coconut cream avocado soup- yum!).
What do you do?

Replies

• tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do log my food otherwise I'm not very good at staying on track as I'm still getting used to eating this way. I find it a good way to learn about food too, it's interesting to me. Plus I am trying to shed a few pounds and tracking my food helps with that.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I never logged the first time I did a Whole30 - I think it was part of the process of breaking the numbers addiction for me and learning to listen to my body. The hardest part was hiding the scale and measuring tape for a month. I stuck totally to the program and lost 11 pounds and 4 or 5 inches in 30 days without really thinking about it or working too hard.

If I were to do another one (and I should in the next few months), I'm not sure what I'd do. I like the accountability of logging and it might be interesting to see how many calories a day and where the macros fell...but I think it would freak me out and derail my progress.

Just finished my copy of ISWF - such a great resource!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose... I logged everything.. it really helped me ensure I was keeping my carb count where I wanted it and that I was getting enough protein. I did not look at my calories as a limit of what to eat.

Now I log once in a while in maintenance mode but mostly to get a feel for my protein grams, not my calories.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am the same as Mike. While I was trying to lose, I logged everything. But I also was only eating clean, not eating paleo/primal at the time. Since making the switch to paleo last October, I rarely log my food. Every few months I'll track it for a week or two just to keep an eye on my protein intake and make sure I haven't gone too far off-track calorie wise.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Funny...
    I am reading the same book and I have been a very sporatic logger on this site of my food choices....However since reading ISWF I have not missed a day and I feel really good about looking back and seeing the choices I have made. It really helps me =)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I logged for awhile - for me it was more about seeing where my macros fell. I am overweight to begin with so for me things like total calories and total activity does matter to a certain extent. I logged to get an idea what my carb/protien was at and then used logging to adjust and get my carbs down a little bit and my protien up.

I haven't logged for the past 2 months and I have gained a few lbs...I am not so worried about the scale because my clothes fit and I am feeling fine.

I plan on going fairly strict for the first 3 weeks of August to see if i can't shed some more weight and stabilize again - also all my kids summer commitments will be over and I can actually do a fairly rountine exercise program for those three weeks and will probably start logging again to watch my carbs and get in my protiens...
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Not right now. Too much going on, but will probably track again in a couple of weeks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I generally log (weekdays usually, weekends usually not), but like some of the others, it's mostly to keep my carbs where they should be. Given what's around me, it's very easy to overdo the carbs, and I'm not very good at getting enough protein sometimes. I'm also getting used to the idea that a diet that's rather high in fat doesn't actually end up being a lot of calories. I have a hard time losing weight, so calories do kind of matter, but I only really use the number itself as a rough guide ("try to get around this number").
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I log - mainly to keep me on track (keeps me conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth) and to make sure I get my protein goals and stay under for carbs.

I don't see it as a forever thing, but it helps me lose weight. When I lean down to the weight I want, I'll likely stop.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a Whole 30 today and fully intend to log, but not weigh myself or measure. I need to lose a lot of weight so I want to make sure my carbs stay under control
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I log - mainly to keep me on track (keeps me conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth) and to make sure I get my protein goals and stay under for carbs.

I don't see it as a forever thing, but it helps me lose weight. When I lean down to the weight I want, I'll likely stop.

Same