Resistance bands/body weight training - yay or nay?

Options
rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
So I posted a thread a week or so back, asking for tips on how to combat budget constraints while wanting to lift heavy.

What do you all think about resistance bands and/or using your body weight for strength training? Will it come to a point where I'll hit a certain point and then be unable to go further?

Any tips/personal experience would be hugely appreciated.

Replies

• MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I know for certain that you will find mixed reviews on this one. I researched it before I decided what to get anything and decided to go with Bodylastics because we move too much (hubby in the military). It's not wise for us to get a bunch of weights and max or go over on our shipment whenever we have to move. A gym is also not an option at this time and I can easily pack the bands in my luggage when we live out of bags. I'm still learning how to use them. Right now I use them mostly for pull-ups/chin-ups with the door anchor as I still haven't maxed out the weights I have now.
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing opinions on this, too! I plan on starting chalean extreme and I understand you start using bands. I have no problem investing in weights when the time comes, just wondering if it's a good starting point, or if I should jump right to the weights. It's been a couple of years since I've lifted, so....
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to preference. Part of me wishes I had the patience to learn the bands because they are cheaper in the long run, and travel well with you everywhere, but I just love the feel of the weights in my hands. I love knowing what weight I'm lifting. With bands you don't really know what the weight is....I think you just keep adjusting to keep making it harder each time and you have a basic idea by which 'color' of band you are using, but not exact weight. They will work your muscles though; they are very effective. :happy:

@CharliesAngel - you don't have to start with bands with CLX, it's just designed so that you can use either bands or weights.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My budget is limited too. I can't recommend this site enough:

www.nerdfitness.com

It's about using the world around you as your gym. I love, LOVE this site. The Angry Birds workout is where I started and there are so many ways to add resistance down the road if it ever becomes too easy. It's a body weight workout and you can use gallon water jugs as weights if you'd like. There are instructions, how-to's, videos on You-Tube they link to, motivation...it's an entire community of people who, for the most part, never step foot in a gym. No equipment required!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    My budget is limited too. I can't recommend this site enough:

www.nerdfitness.com

It's about using the world around you as your gym. I love, LOVE this site. The Angry Birds workout is where I started and there are so many ways to add resistance down the road if it ever becomes too easy. It's a body weight workout and you can use gallon water jugs as weights if you'd like. There are instructions, how-to's, videos on You-Tube they link to, motivation...it's an entire community of people who, for the most part, never step foot in a gym. No equipment required!

I second that emotion!
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do ZWOWs at home - all bodyweight and so intense! http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight?feature=watch

I also do Bodyrock.tv workouts, though a lot of them use some equipment. You can get creative and use household items or just do bodyweight for most of the exercises though.

Since starting these workouts (back in April), I haven't touched the weights at the gym and I'm stronger and leaner than ever :smile: I do either a ZWOW or bodyrock workout 5 or 6 days a week.
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome information everyone! I've just googled all of those suggestinos and there are definitely some things to try :)

I'm particularly intrigued by the ZWOW workouts! I love that they're timed and that you can do them along with her. You're right - seriously intense! But that's what I'm after.

@momoto - hope you don't mind me asking - you look unbelievable in your pic - is that all without gym/weights? Because if so, I'm a believer!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I did/do my first round of CLX with resistance bands-but not the ones that came with the programme. I have really thick ones, that are a LOT of resistance. I was able to reach muscle failure in almost all exercises.
    But I am moving on to but Bowflex dumbbells now, cause I want to move on to Cathe-workouts after
    Nevertheless-you can do a lot with the bands. They are cheap and they travel with you.
    Will take them for sure on my vacation
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    YES ZWOW is the bomb! I also love BodyRock.tv. If I couldn't go to the gym I'd get a sandbag & door jam pull up bar. I've never used bands except for some physical therapy for my shoulders but it was very effective at the time. My trainer & sifu say that body weight is weight training & if you HIIT the workouts they can get very intense.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    def YAY.
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome information everyone! I've just googled all of those suggestinos and there are definitely some things to try :)

I'm particularly intrigued by the ZWOW workouts! I love that they're timed and that you can do them along with her. You're right - seriously intense! But that's what I'm after.

@momoto - hope you don't mind me asking - you look unbelievable in your pic - is that all without gym/weights? Because if so, I'm a believer!

Thanks so much! That pic was taken 2 1/2 months after starting bodyrock workouts (I started using MFP at the same time too)... I need to take a new one, I've definitely changed since then, I'm getting closer to a six pack, yay :) I do have a sandbag and an equalizer, but that's it. We were using a duffle bag filled with hand weights wrapped in towels, but after about a month it fell apart so we got a sandbag, and it was worth every penny. Anyhow, in 2 1/2 months I went from a size 6 american eagle jean to a size 0 american eagle jean.

We just incorporated the ZWOWs into our workouts a couple of weeks ago and they feel so.much.harder. than what we're used to, I'm sure you would see results in no time!! Tonight we did ZWOW #25 - just go for it and push yourself!
  • CharliesAngel1
    Options
    Thanx for the info. Pretty sure this is what I was looking for all along and didn't even know it. :-)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think if you have the right guidance both options can work. Last year with my trainer we went off traditional weights for a period of time and did some band work and a lot of body weight work....i saw a big difference in the shape of my upper body at the time especially my shoulders. I personally think mixing things up works well.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CharliesAngel1
    Options
    I'm particularly interested in ZWOW and Chalean. Thinking of mixing up my own hybrid version of the two. Love how intense ZWOW looks and that it only requires body weight. Good Stuff!