Milk donation and calorie intake

Options
Hey mamas! I finally figured out what the right calorie goal is for me per day, without affecting my supply too much and with losing pounds at a comfortable pace (right around 1800/day).
Now starting this week, I'm serving as an ongoing donor for a national breastmilk bank (something I did previously with my other daughter). This means that in addition to feeding my newborn, I'm also pumping another 4 or 5 times a day, usually around 4 oz at a time.
Any suggestions on how I can adjust my calories? I've been ravenous all week - seriously eating everything in sight! I was losing about a pound every two or three days before, but I haven't weighed in for the last couple of days (I'm scared! lol!).

Replies

• JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I was doing that, I'd count it as nursing twins, I think.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hey mamas! I finally figured out what the right calorie goal is for me per day, without affecting my supply too much and with losing pounds at a comfortable pace (right around 1800/day).
    Now starting this week, I'm serving as an ongoing donor for a national breastmilk bank (something I did previously with my other daughter). This means that in addition to feeding my newborn, I'm also pumping another 4 or 5 times a day, usually around 4 oz at a time.
    Any suggestions on how I can adjust my calories? I've been ravenous all week - seriously eating everything in sight! I was losing about a pound every two or three days before, but I haven't weighed in for the last couple of days (I'm scared! lol!).

I would go with the standard 500 calories plus 20 calories each for the extra ounces you pump.