my own "hey fat girl" moment

Options
susannahcooks
susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
First - if you don't know what I mean by "hey fat girl" and you think I'm being self-depricating or offensive - go read this blog: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html (Its made the rounds on MFP, but just in case...)

Have been training the last 4 weeks on a treadmill and have been told a gazillion times (at least) that I need to start throwing in some land training to make sure I'm ready for my 5K (Sept 9). So I hauled my cookies out to the high school track (still not street running, but a start anyway), on Saturday morning at 6:30 am. I did the whole run (W4D2) - and finished out with some speed walking/running intervals to get me up to my 3.1 miles so I could get a baseline for time. Most of the time I was out there there was nobody there but me and another woman. She was doing lunges and all kinds of specific legwork in the center of the track. After I finished and walked to my car, she followed me to my car (i know! stranger danger!) except that she came out just to say that she was impressed at my dedication and that I was doing great. Now, in full disclosure she was a trainer and handed me her card, so I'm sure she was hoping to get some business; but it was still nice to be validated at that hour in the morning and be recognized for the hard work.

Just thought I'd share. And encourage you to say something positive and encouraging to the other runners - especially you alumni - that are just getting started.

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! I'm like you and would be cynical with "oh she's just trying to drum up business" but still...it is nice to be recognized! You go!! You'll do awesome at your 5k!
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • Snapdragons3
    Snapdragons3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Very cool!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Coolies!
    I'm sure she was genuinely impressed and if anything, wanted a part of your success :)
    Congrads on that 3.1mi. I still can't get one done but from reading stories on here I know I will be able to eventually!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You are doing so well.

For the first two weeks I wore my baggy hiking gear. Then I got the confidence up to buy some running tights (with a baggy T-shirt over the top to hide my bum and tum!). I don't know if it is the gear or my new-found confidence but even on my Week 2 slow runs fellow runners in the park started nodding and smiling at me when I went past.

I'm on Week 6 and still jogging very, very slow and loving being part of 'the gang' down the local park. Sure, they all go faster than me and lap me and are all super skinny, but they don't seem to care. I'm out there alongside them come rain or shine and that's all that seems to matter.

Forget Prozac - it's a confidence boost like no other!