Tips for the Newbies!

Options
rildev03
rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
I just completed week 1, so I guess I'm still new too, lol. I have picked up a few things though and want to share to make things easier for those starting this coming week.

Go at your own pace. Shaun T will be yelling "go faster" over and over but don't sacrifice your form. It will come as your endurance builds. Even the pros can't always keep the pace up.

Start out slow. He repeats the sets. You don't want to be dead after the first set when there are two more to go (including the warm up).

Have a recovery drink, even if it's low fat chocolate milk. It will make a huge difference in the soreness you will feel. I actually had very minimal soreness-first time ever after a new workout!

Your mind will shut down before your body does. Your body is capable of so much more. He really means it with dig deeper. Exercise with your heart, not your head. I have actually shouted out my goal weight over and over when my head said stop. It keep me going!

Most important-have fun! It's only 60 days to a more smoking you!!

Replies

• Kristihub
    Kristihub Posts: 46
    Options
    I agree! I'm on day 10. I haven't shouted my goal weight, but I've conjured images to keep me going. He tells you to take a break if you need to. Do, and then jump back in!
  • aimeeleo
    aimeeleo Posts: 22
    Options
    Than you for this thread. I start monday officially. Your advice is really helpful.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I did the fit test and almost died! I'm not new to exercise so i can tell a challenge is ahead :)
  • SGTflatfoot
    SGTflatfoot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It seems impossible to keep going at first. You feel tired after the first couple of days, but the hardest part is making yourself hit play. Once you do it's smooth sailing! I almost gave up because I was so sedentary for a month once I did the fit test and didn't do much in the way of a recovery meal/drink so I was incredibly sore. Once I got a little motivation from a friend I was back on the floor doing the plyo video! I haven't had trouble since. So I guess I'm saying, if you're sore but not injured you can make it through--don't let yourself be talked out of it because you can do this! If need be, take an anti-inflammatory an hour before your work out, and go a little slower. Once you start skipping days, it becomes easier every time.
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to take pre/post photos and measurements. I lost one pound, 1/2 inch on all the major parts but 1 1/2 inches on my mommy pouch!!! It's just the motivation I need to keep going.
  • ambersinclair
    ambersinclair Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! (The almost dying that is.) I wanted to go out back and dig my own grave. For now I'll just be lying in bed.
  • Osulindsay21
    Osulindsay21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a trip to Vegas for a bachelorette party in October, so when I get tired, I yell "Vegas" during every basketball drill. lol. It has also helped me during week two that I turn off the music on the video and play music from my phone that is inspirational and fun to me. Helps keep me going!
  • slamonds
    slamonds Posts: 4
    Options
    These are all good tips! My head gets in the way a lot when it comes to exercising. I'm working on needing to push myself more! I'm getting better.
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just clear my mind and do it, easier said than done I know. Nike said it best "just do it" :)
  • GettingDBack
    GettingDBack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a trip to Vegas for a bachelorette party in October, so when I get tired, I yell "Vegas" during every basketball drill. lol. It has also helped me during week two that I turn off the music on the video and play music from my phone that is inspirational and fun to me. Helps keep me going!
    I like this idea. I'm going to try it when I have to do pure cardio and cardio power and resistance.