Am I fit enough for Old Rag in Shenandoah?

Options
Hey there, I am going to Shenandoah in a couple of weeks and trying to figure out if I will be able to hike Old Rag or not. I can only try to compare it to other hikes I've done, like Mount Washington in NH. I can climb Mount Washington, though it takes me much longer than most people and I pretty much die at the end. Has anyone here hiked both Mount Washington and Old Rag and can help me out?

Replies

• Rohbean
    Rohbean Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm hiking this in September for the first time, and I am petrified! I keep asking people who have done it how strenuous it is, hoping someone will say it's not that difficult, but so far, no luck lol. Everyone says it's pretty darn strenuous.

One person gave me a bit more detail, saying that the hardest part is the elevation gain within a relatively short distance. The first part of the hike... approx. 4 miles, she said... is just straight uphill for over 2,000 feet. Once you get done with that part, you've got the rock scramble to do, which is pretty strenuous, too. She says the only way to prepare for this is to do some similar hikes beforehand. It is a well-traversed hike though, and there are people of all ages who do it.

I would say go ahead and do it, because everyone says it's worth it. I plan to do it even though I'm nervous about it lol. I'll just take my time. Make sure you take PLENTY of water, something to replace your electrolytes (very important, since this is extended exercise... I always thought water was enough until the other day!), and some food, too.
  • Old_Man
    Options
    Hi,

I hope you enjoyed Old Rag it is a favorite around here. Did you climb the steep sideor hike up the fire road on the back of the mountain? It is nice to have options. It is sometimes nice to hike down White Oak Canyon and up the back of Old Rag.

Enjoy the Fall hiking!