7-17-3012 Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options
bisland
bisland Posts: 245 Member
Good morning Ladies, it is going to be another hot day here in New England. They say it may hit the tripple digits. Out for my run bright and early at 6:10 AM. Hope everyone manages to get some exercise in, but take it easy. If you can not get outside due to the weather do it inside. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, use canned vegtables or a jug of water as weights and get some upper extremity weight training in. Most importantly stay hydrated. I have been reading more and more about the benifits in increased hydration. Did you know it can ease joint pain? 60% of the body is water and when we get dehydrated it causes all sorts if issues. I was telling this to my BF who has problems with his knees and works in construction. He has significanly increased his water intake and seen a huge difference in his knee issue and over all feeling better. My goal 13c today. I will catch you all on the flip side & have a great one.:smile:

Replies

• bisland
    Options
    oops, sorry about the mess up on the date
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Hatters,

I totally flaked out yesterday on posting. Monday's are horrid for me. I even missed posting my diary because I fell asleep on the couch. I hope all of you have a great day and make it the best you can. As bisland says...hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It does make a huge difference. I am through with menopause but my arthiritus is helped tremendously by the hydration. I have been able to decrease my inflamation meds by doing this.

Here's to a Terrific Tuesday to all of us! Cheers
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    100 degrees today, good day to get a reminder about hydration! Writing from waiting room while hubby gets colonoscopy, looking around the room, lots of people are texting, but everyone is typing as slow as I am-welcome to middle age!
    In addition to water what is your fav drink? My summer staple is unsweetened iced tea, I start the morning by adding fresh pineapple to the cup, I keep refilling it all day, switching to decaf at noon, keeping the same pineapple in my travel mug, then at night I eat the pineapple, at that point it is probably fermented which must be why I look forward to it!
    Happy day everyone
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good Morning sweet friends,

It will be 102 degrees here in Southeastern Wisconsin. Goes great with hot flashes! If only a hot flash had a calorie burn! I would be sittin pretty! Thank you Snooozi for the website yesterday. My scale is standing still.....(.has nothing to do with the pizza and beer and fish fry this past weekend). I have a real problem on the weekends, especially if the fiance wants to go out to eat all the time. He doesnt have to watch what he eats nor does he care. He loves burgers and pizza! Me too! I need to try to focus on eating better on the weekends. And healthy food tastes soooooo good! I had the best peanut butter banana w 8 chocolate chips sandwich last night after my workout! I love being creative with food and spices. Well, have a great day , off I go to Body Flow! Thanks for all the inspiration! Linda
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies, Hope today is good for everyone.

Bis- Good job on the early morning walk, and thanks for the tips. My knees and back hurt when I try to jog, Maybe this will help that.

Tonya- You weren't the only one not doing much posting. OH Well.:wink:

Hair- You made me laugh w/ the pineapple in the tea. I will have to try it.

1 slimlinda - I wish hot flashes would burn calories too. Got a question for you. "Is there a 2slimlinda hanging around?":laugh:
  • Huntress52
    Huntress52 Posts: 12
    Options
    Good morning from North Branch Michigan We will be sweating or is it glowing? todayLOL, 105..ugh. Well good news for me I have lost 5 lbs now in week 2. Energy level coming up from counting caleriorys, amazed at how much I was consuming. I'm taking a multi vitiamin and drinking more water now I've added zero cal. flvoring. Still no where near where I need to be for excerising but baby steps. and cooler weather wouldnt hurt!. I am taking advantage of pool and doing movements in there. On a personal note I found a female doctor who has been wonderful giving me info to go over for Estrogen treatments, We will be making a plan next week. seems like things are finally falling into place! Good luck my web friends :)
  • toomanycurves
    toomanycurves Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the Baked Apple!
  • toomanycurves
    Options
    In case anyone's wondering, the reason this 60-year-old joined the group is that she's sweating it out with the rest of you. September 2, 2012 = finito. At least I hope so.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Ahem:

Core body temperature elevations precede a majority of menopausal hot flushes and serve as one trigger of this heat-loss phenomenon.” Since the core body temperature is rising, it is likely that some calories are being burned. The actual number of calories would depend on weight, the duration of the temperature increase, the amount of temperature increase, etc. so it would be hard to pin down an exact figure. But as an example, say a 110 pound woman experiences a one degree C temperature increase for a few minutes. Using information from this page, you can see she would burn about 50 calories. If her temperature rises two degrees C it would be 100 calories. And so on. That gives you some idea of the range of calorie burning taking place.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Bis: I started to read your post and made myself get up and get a bottle of water before I finished reading it… and thank you so much for starting the day for us..had a good chuckle at the "3012"!! I hit the Snooz button on the alarm this morning so appreciate you picking up the ball.. :happy:

HSH: ABSOLUTELY loved your post.. the calorie/cash comparison was great.. really gives a visual to what we’re trying to do. .thank you so much for the info!!! Hmm I could do the fermented pineapple thing if I told myself it was really sangria! Sadly, my favourite summer drink is and always will be. .a frozen lime margarita..

Tonya: I’m not gonna lie.. woke up around midnight in my big comfy chair with that ever so attractive drool happening… and a stiff neck LOL.

Slimlinda: nah, the needle is probably just stuck on the scale.. I find it helps if you pick em up and drop em a few times… ha… its record breaking heat here today too; and so muggy and humid.. blahhhhhhhh.

Hope those under the weather and recuperating from nasty invasive tests are recovering well today!!

Huntress!! OMG that’s great!! IPOU!!! How good do you feel right now?? Congrats and well done! Will keeps fingers crossed the new doc will come thru and happy days are ahead!

Welcome Too Many! LOL @ your post.. hoping?? For sure!! It seems the general medical consensus is a full 12 months without the joy of TOM before it’s official.. my poor sister made it 8 months and whammo.. had to start all over again.. amazingly she is not in jail for homicide..

After learning I’ve been doing my diarys all wrong I am excited to trying to do it right from here on in.. I now realize I should complete my food diary for the day and see where I’m at calorie wise and decide then whether I am below 1200 and want to have a little more, or just at it. THEN I’ll enter my exercise info and see how many “burned calories” I won.. I honestly thought I was supposed to enter it first and then get the total DAY to 1200…. Jeez louise I cudda weighed another 50 pounds in a few weeks!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: LOL..

Am VERY GRATEFUL to our wonderful hatters who took the time to ‘splain it all to us; many thanks!!

Have to chow down for dinner; will be back afterwards to see who’s up to what!

Oh.. and in keeping with today’s theme… just a couple of chuckles I found on the topic of “do you burn calories during a hot flash” when I googled it…
    “Could we get energy credits when we have them? Are we to blame for global warming?
    If they need more water will they send us to live on the north or south pole?”

And my personal fav:

“I'm not sure how many calories are burned with the hot flash itself, but I do know there's a lot of
    concomitant aerobic activity Such as .. frantically peeling off layers of clothing, running around to open
    windows, and fanning oneself with whatever's handy. “ :noway:
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    Oh how I have awoken at some point in the evening wondering where that horrible sound was coming from and how did my throat get so dry. I have never thought of myself as a snorer...there were ex-husbands that had that title. Now I find myself waking to these sounds almost nightly whether it is on the couch or in bed. I am hoping that in a few more pounds it won't happen as often. I hope that each of you have had a great day and have gotten to drink lots of water. My water intake is pretty much over for the day, at 11 cups it better be or it won't be the snores that wake me up but the full bladder! Have a great night and a better tomorrow!
  • tonyacoursey
    Options
    PS- ice packs and frozen peas are great for the night sweats and hot flashes.....
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

Tremendous Tuesday to everyone!!! I pray you all have had, or are having a great day today. Mine is going okay thank you... Day 2 of having daughters cat at home with us. Okay, does he not realize that I am premenopausal, having difficulties sleeping already, sweating like an iced tea on the patio table, and ready to kill anything at a moment’s notice? So he decides that 3:30 am is a great time to start crying for his “mommy”? Really? Seriously? GAH!!! Well, at least I was able to catch up on my laundry, get melons and pineapple cleaned and cut and in the fridge for later and do some cleaning in my kitchen… Wow, 2 more weeks until she comes home? This should be fun. I pray he makes it…. Hehehe I’m hoping to get on the treadmill tonight, but going on the 12 hour mark now, I’m ready for bed….

Daughter move update – So spoke with her apartment complex yesterday. They are going to force her to stay for the “30 days” notice (that or pay $1200 to break the lease). I hate apartments, I really do. I will be so glad when my hubby and I can qualify for a house and get out this rental scam…. With that being said, at least I don’t have to worry about busting butt to get her cleaned out before the 31st. They have pro-rated her to the 15th of August. We basically have most of it done already, but this way we can get her room ready at our place, get a cheaper storage unit and take our time sorting through her stuff to decide what comes home and what goes to storage. We will keep the “cat” (lol) for the whole duration, no reason to move him back and forth… Hopefully he will warm up to us and sleep through the night by then….

- Tonya – with you on the falling asleep on the couch that’s been me these past few nights. I am usually so good with doing my diary before I go to bed, but now I am scrambling to remember the next morning.

- Hair – I LOVE the pineapple idea in your iced tea. I will definitely have to try that. Having just cut up a fresh pineapple this morning I’m ready for it when I get home.

- SlimLinda – IF ONLY we could get calorie burns from “sweats” heaven knows we get drenched enough for it!

Ladies, if I don’t make it back tonight, know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. Every time that chocolate in the reception area screams my name, I hear you all screaming at me even louder. Thank you!!! You’re all in my head, that or I am schizophrenic, who knows….
  • Lindawoj1
    Lindawoj1 Posts: 26
    Options
    You people are cracking me up. Luckily i'm pretty much over the hot flashes. I have days that I get them and days I don't. Always have at least a couple during sleep. Beginning to think they will never fully stop. My shirt goes up during them and down when it's over. My flashes have always been my mid section. some in the head region but mostly the stomach.

I'm having a bad day. I've been wanting to eat everything I see. I've been so good for 2 weeks and for some reason I'm craving everything. I did manage to make some what decent choices, just to much.

Tomorrow should be tough. We are taking my grandson to York Animal Kingdom in Maine for his 2nd birthday. I plan on packing a lunch but you can't bring in food. Wish me luck.
    I'm signing off because we are having a storm and sitting by a huge window with my laptop plugged in doesn't seem to be a very good idea.

Night all
    Sleep tight and dry.
  • bisland
    Options
    Good evening everyone it does sound like everyone had a good day. I love Hair's pineapple idea & think I may try it next time I buy some fresh pineapple. It is so wonderfull learning from others experiences on this site. I think about 1/2 my daily diet is now foods I never would have thought of trying untill I learned about them on MFP. If anyone has any other tips to share I would love to hear them. One of my favorites is put 4 or 5 bonless chicken breasts in the crock pot, add 1 jar of salsa. Cook on High for 5 hours . Then use a fork to pull the chicken apart. Sooo tasty, moist & zero fat. I put it in little containers to freeze for my work lunches along with some wild rice & a veggie. mmm mmm.

I know many of you are experiencing this summer heat as I have and am wondering if you have been as drained by it as I have. I seem to have lost all motivation to get my housework done and just doing the bare minimum to get by. Those dust bunnies have grandchildren now & if I do not get to them soon I may be the one moving out. To do lists usually work for me so I just made a new one and with the heat breaking in 2 more days I look foreward to opening the windows to fresh air & perhaps this will get me the motivation I need to move furniture and really get some cleaning done.

Well have a good evening folks. I look foreward to seeing what you are all up to tomorrow.
  • bisland
    Options
    You people are cracking me up. Luckily i'm pretty much over the hot flashes. I have days that I get them and days I don't. Always have at least a couple during sleep. Beginning to think they will never fully stop. My shirt goes up during them and down when it's over. My flashes have always been my mid section. some in the head region but mostly the stomach.

I'm having a bad day. I've been wanting to eat everything I see. I've been so good for 2 weeks and for some reason I'm craving everything. I did manage to make some what decent choices, just to much.

Tomorrow should be tough. We are taking my grandson to York Animal Kingdom in Maine for his 2nd birthday. I plan on packing a lunch but you can't bring in food. Wish me luck.
    I'm signing off because we are having a storm and sitting by a huge window with my laptop plugged in doesn't seem to be a very good idea.

Night all
    Sleep tight and dry.

Linda, I did not realize you lived just about in my back yard! I love York Wild Kingdom & used to take my son every year & I still go to York in the off season as a weekend get away to walk the beach & go to Nubble light. No worries about your bad day, we all have them. It's all about the bigger picture. Have fun & be carefull it is supposed to still be hot tomorrow.
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good night ladies this MMH is off to bed. Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi hatters......its so weird reading all the comments from you all suffering in the heat while its winter where I am.....actually we've had some pretty nice weather the last few days but still chilly at night and I think we are going to have another cold spell before winter is over for us...

Re hot flashes/flushes....I was getting them badly a year or so ago when my TOM was still reasonably regular...but now that seems to have almost gone...I think I have to wait 12 months before I can say its definitely finished but I'm almost there....and now I only get mild hot flushes mostly first thing in the morning...but I don't get woken at night anymore and rarely during the day...I'm not sure if its just passed or if it might be as a result of exercising so much and losing 12 kg...I am almost at the top end of healthy weight range for my height and I do think that has helped a lot....so glad as it wasn't much fun....and not a good look...sweat on the back of my neck...yuk! I did find a funny neck scarf which was very helpful at night....it was filled with those water crystals so you wet it and wrap it around your neck and then I could sleep a lot better....not a great look either though so no other activity to make me hot, if you get my drift:laugh:

bisland - thanks for the reminder about drinking...I can't tell you how hard I find this...every day I say I'm going to drink lots and then I just forget....off to have a glass now:drinker:

hairsprayhon - wow...pineapple....never would have thought of that...but I might just give it a go...and I love the idea of eating it at the end of the day....fresh pineapple is supposed to be excellent for weight loss...I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before

snoozie....I'm with you and the frozen margaritas!! Now if I could just hydrate with those there'd be no problem:drinker: :drinker:

I've done well today....omellette, sushi and stir fry for dinner....and I'll do a run tonight when it gets dark (don't want to scare anyone:noway:
  • toomanycurves
    Options
    Greetings Hatters!

Snoozie, Fortunately for all, I was in Italy when my stealth period hit and it was too hot to act on any homicidal urges I might have had.

Tonya, I like your frozen peas idea and ice pack ideas. I'll search for the latter under my teenager's bed.

Another idea shown to me by my hairstylist who has long, thick curly hair: pull your hair into an updo and tuck ice cubes close to your scalp. I have straight hair and so I won't be trying this but maybe it will help someone else here.

Stay COOL . . .