Anterior Fusion and recovery

Options
My husband is having an anterior fusion at L5/S1 on August 6th. I'm so nervous about it which is why I decided to join this group. I know how critical getting exercise can be to his recovery so I want to arm myself with as much information from actual post-op people as i can.

For those of you who had fusion, how long after surgery were you cleared for work?

How long after surgery were you cleared to start walking as a form of exercising?

Is bike riding a good form of exercise for fusion patients?

What advice do you wish you had prior to having surgery?

Thanks so much in advance for anyone who is willing to ease my mind or help me deal with worry.

Replies

• krjones33
    krjones33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Abbey, I had Lumbar Laminectomy and Fusion surgery last January. It took alot longer than what doctors told me as far as feeling normal. For months, any kind of vibration like sneezing, coughing, mucle spasms, bumps on the road, etc were very painful. It took a few months to start walking, 10- 15 min. at a time. Just got off the heavy meds 6 months ago. Finally beginning to feel somewhat normal. I think everyone's journey is different, but they all say don't try to rush exercise and recovery. Physical therapy was very helpful, not only healing my body but keeping me busy and focused on getting better. Support and patience from my better was the biggest key to my recovery. I hope this was helpful and wish u guys luck.
  • abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I posted this here and in the general forum and yours was the only reply I received. Have you returned to work? What do you do for a living? The doctor told him he can't pick up more than 10 pounds for 3 months and then not more than 25 pounds for the next 3 after that. Did you have a similar experience, if so how did you manage that?
  • krjones33
    krjones33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Before surgery I was also told 3 months, but after I was told 6. I think I had a little more done then u hubby will. I'm a Pastry Chef, I've been diagnosed with laminectomy syndrome and just started working a couple of days a week, still having pain but nowhere near the severity as before surgery. The combination of loosing a few pounds and doing the physical therapy exercises on my on has helped me a great deal.
  • abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    Yea my husband had a laminectomy two years ago and it hasn't improved anything, he's been getting worse. He was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, but I think it's probably laminectomy syndrome too because he has some scar tissue build up from his prior surgery.