Protein amt. Question

Options
Eafears
Eafears Posts: 135 Member
Hi, So I just adjusted my MFP to my TDEE and reset the carbs, protein and fat to 40, 30, 30. But I am wondering about consuming that much protein. It comes out to 142 grams a day and that seems like an awful lot. I honestly don't think I can manage that many grams, 120 maybe. Did I set it up right?

My Stats are
147 weight
BMR: 1438
to Maintain: 2229
at 15% cut: 1894

Any thoughts?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Well for the most part you are spot on. General rule of thumb is consuming 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle mass you have.

Too much protein is never a problem, barring any medical conditions.
  • Eafears
    Options
    So technically if I went by 1g for all lean muscle mass I would be around 100 g, not 140. That sounds more doable to me, but I'm not sure how important the exact %'s are.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've read articles that say 1g/lb of "lean body mass" and I've seen ones that say 1g/lb of weight. I too shoot for 1g/lb lean body mass. There is no way I could get down enough to equal body weight. :sick:
  • Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Our stats are very similar, I have to hit 140g and I'm struggling with it..getting closer though, plus if I'm lifting weights now my body will need the protein...and it's keeping me full which is always a plus :)
  • Eafears
    Options
    Thanks! I am just trying to figure it all out. I didn't feel comfortable cutting back to 1300 since I also have hypothyroid. I felt like it would just really mess up my metabolism. This program makes a lot of sense to me, I just want to make sure I do it right. Anyway, thanks again for your input. I think I will stick with 100g for now until I am used to it and see how my body feels.
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My protien comes out to 180g per day and I hit it spot on today for the first time with NO SUPPLEMENTS!! :)
    I was pretty happy.

I have no idea who is right on this one, but I am using the NROLFW as well and he explains that experts are all of differing opinions as well. If you have the book, it's explained beginning on Page 66. He says to base on body weight, not lean muscle mass. Your body can always use the protien if you are exercising and even when you are not exercising you body does burn up protien.

Better safe than sorry - I'd say keep the higher level. Try fat free cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and turkey pepperoni <<- these three helped me hit my mark and keep the fats down. (in addition to lean meats, egg whites, cheese, nut butters, etc.)

*My two cents.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    you don't need that much protein, only about 45-55 for women tops...
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I do 1g protein per lb lean body mass & the same for fats, the percentages will be different for everyone if you work it out like that : )