Does anyone......NOT alternate exercises?

Options
Hi,
I am having some trouble at the gym alternating between exercises that require equipment. Often I will get off of a machine, do the next exercise and then someone is on machine. Has anyone had this problem? Has anyone not alternated in order to complete routine. I know the alternating helps with rest time, so I was considering just adding more rest time. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually leave my towel in one machine while I work on another, if needed. Or do not unload the barbell... people have been courteous enough not to mess with it (so far)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have had to not alternate exercises on occasion for the same reason. I've also had to change up the order of the exercises because equipment wasn't available. (Specifically, the squat rack. Men who camp out for hours on end in the squat rack are my new nemeses!)

I know the workouts are designed to be done in a specific way and order, but I don't think that changing things on occasion is going to make that big of a difference.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I do my workouts at home and sometimes I do not alternate simply because I forget.
    I have found that when I alternate I push through each set of reps better though.
    (:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I learned very quickly that it's better to ask people if you can "work in." If they're in there lifting and just sitting between sets walk up to them and say "hey, mind if I work in?" I've never had a problem.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It depends on how busy my gym is, but I will definitely switch things up if it gets busy. Nothing too crazy, but I might do D and E before B and C if I know someone is going to use a certain machine.
    It's a small gym :-) The same people are there every morning, so it's easy to catch on to their patterns.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I do the towel thing too. Or if I need to leave stuff at both stations, I might leave my towel & pen/paper at one station, and then bring my water bottle to leave at the 2nd station.

I don't usually have trouble getting into the squat rack, but my biggest challenge is the cable machines. So many people use them for so many different things, that they seem to almost always be occupied.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I camp out on the machine, ie the cable machines. I pull my dumbbells or the mat over. I will use the seat of the cable machine as my step up bench sometimes too, like for romanian split squats. Or for the shoulder presses in stage 1 I would just stand next to it while I used my dumbbells. I didn't do this today because the gym was empty this morning, and someone still stole the lat pull down machine while I was in the corner doing my partial Squats. I HATE THAT. I even left my notebook and keys next to the machine so folks would know it's taken. I pretty much guard my machines with my life or offer to alternate so that I don't have to screw up the order of my workout. However, if they are taking forever, I will do the next set of exercises so I'm not wasting time. If I don't alternate for some strange reason. I make sure I double my rest time, which is the purpose of doing 2 exercise cycles.